Shield Experience 9 Release

CBers

FrostByte

Just throwing this out there because I'm running out of ideas, but when I mounted my NAS shares on the Shield I used a userid that has admin privileges on my NAS.  Though any userid with read/write at both the file/folder level and the shares should work.

Edited by FrostByte

Audiomixer
7 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Just throwing this out there because I'm running out of ideas, but when I mounted my NAS shares on the Shield I used a userid that has admin privileges on my NAS.  Though any userid with read/write at both the file/folder level and the shares should work.

As I did as well.

• Sad 1

FrostByte

Maybe it's time to update Exoplayer then-- either now, or the next beta cycle.  The Exoplayer we're using is almost a year old and there are a few Android 11 fixes which have been made.  Even if it doesn't fix this problem there has got to be something in that huge list of fixes which would be beneficial.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Also having issues since updating to Shield Experience 9. New files cannot play and come up with "Too many errors. Giving up". Old shows play but take longer with the spinning circle going around. Everything play using an external player though.

Also noticed that the there is no media information for each new show now. It just states <Unknown>. Whereas older shows give the video and audio codec information.

I am running the server from the shield with a USB HDD connected. The ATV app has the permission for files and media set to allow while using this app. Tried updating to the ATV 2.0.64 version and clearing the data but that didn't help. I don't think the issue is just relating to the ATV app only though as new media isn't showing up correct either. New albums aren't being tagged correctly so it seems to be a server issue as well.

Would the HotFix Image help?

Edit: Not sure what happened but starting from scratch again fixed all the issues 😀

Edited by memc
  • Like 1

Damn, I should not have upgraded. Now my emby server is broken. I'm storing media on NAS with direct access. 

Is there a way to revert Shield back to the older version? 

CBers
1 hour ago, Jonz said:

Damn, I should not have upgraded. Now my emby server is broken. I'm storing media on NAS with direct access. 

Is there a way to revert Shield back to the older version? 

Older version of what, the OS on your Shield? 

MrMackey

If I install the 2.0.64 beta, should I delete the stable version first or will I have 2 different emby apps?
I would like to test if my Direct File Access works again with the beta.

CBers
29 minutes ago, MrMackey said:

If I install the 2.0.64 beta, should I delete the stable version first or will I have 2 different emby apps?
I would like to test if my Direct File Access works again with the beta.

The beta version will install over the top of the stable version. 

• Like 1

rbjtech
8 hours ago, FrostByte said:

My shares are folder level Windows shares using a separate read only service account.  This works perfectly well (previously) and today with VLC/X-Plore.

You can see the access with the named service account in Computer Manager - so you know it's the shield reading that file ;)

Once this is sorted, I'd strongly suggest a service account with read only,  if any the Apps ever went rogue, then you don't want to give it the option to delete/infect/encrypt all your files ..  the only downside of course is you cannot use the Apps to modify anything.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, CBers said:

Older version of what, the OS on your Shield? 

Yes I updated the Shield OS. Emby seem broke after that so I downloaded the new emby server for shield beta, still did not fix it. Still can't play any of the media on my NAS now. 

So just wondering can I roll back the Shield update? It should fix the issues right 

Edited by Jonz

CBers
19 minutes ago, Jonz said:

So just wondering can I roll back the Shield update? It should fix the issues right 

That's not possible, unless you know how to do it via command line (adb). 

Someone on the Nvidia forums may be able to help you. 

What issues are you getting with playback? 

Several of us here have upgraded and playback is still working. 

@FrostByte, @rbjtech and @Audiomixer all have NAS's. 

I run Windows. 

Edited by CBers

17 minutes ago, CBers said:

That's not possible, unless you know how to do it via command line (adb). 

Someone on the Nvidia forums may be able to help you. 

What issues are you getting with playback? 

Several of us here have upgraded and playback is still working. 

@FrostByte, @rbjtech and @Audiomixer all have NAS's. 

I run Windows. 

I have yet to have much time to check it out and try to troubleshoot. Will do that later tonight or tomorrow. 

I'm getting file playback failed issues. Although scanning of media works and database can be rebuilt etc. 

The way I'm using emby server on shield is to point to the locally mounted network drives 

Audiomixer

@Jonz
While it is possible and there are tutorials to flash a shield, if you are not familiar with adb commands using windows, it can be a daunting task. I’ve done this a few times with the 2019 pro.

So for emby server on shield, for the nas, make sure you have it mounted in shield. You can use something like VLC or xplore and try to play a file to verify.

For permissions this what I have for shield Emby server. Go to settings>apps>see all apps>Emby server>permissions> and set files and media to allow. Leave the screen and go back into it to verify that it stuck.

Go back to apps>special app access>NAS storage access and make sure Emby Server is set to allowed.

This worked for me.

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Like 2

Well .64 did not fix it for me.  nI also installed the server on my NAS and still not working.  Though if I am running the server on the NAS and all my files are on the NAS, do I need this feature?  LOL After all I am not transcoding any thing.

Edited by mpg732

FrostByte
15 minutes ago, mpg732 said:

Well .64 did not fix it for me.  nI also installed the server on my NAS and still not working.  Though if I am running the server on the NAS and all my files are on the NAS, do I need this feature?  LOL After all I am not transcoding any thing.

File access has helped some people with some extremely high bitrate 4K stuff because there is less overhead, but HTTP works fine for most people.  Oh, and you can reboot your Emby server while playing because the client is getting the file directly instead of being streamed via Emby server.  Some of us just like to tweak things to get the best performance we can.

12 hours ago, Audiomixer said:

@Jonz
While it is possible and there are tutorials to flash a shield, if you are not familiar with adb commands using windows, it can be a daunting task. I’ve done this a few times with the 2019 pro.

So for emby server on shield, for the nas, make sure you have it mounted in shield. You can use something like VLC or xplore and try to play a file to verify.

For permissions this what I have for shield Emby server. Go to settings>apps>see all apps>Emby server>permissions> and set files and media to allow. Leave the screen and go back into it to verify that it stuck.

Go back to apps>special app access>NAS storage access and make sure Emby Server is set to allowed.

This worked for me.

All these steps were done and tested. I've just uninstalled emby server and rebuild database again, now i'm trying to connect and play with via emby web and it still fails. All NAS drives are mounted on the shield and can be accessed via file explorers. I've also uninstalled kodi currently, will reinstall it later but i doubt it will yield any difference as even via Emby Web it's not playing. 

Btw, i've tried  using xplore - it can't access mounted drives nor the USB expanded storage. MX Player couldn't find any media files to play either. 

I'm not quite sure if the issue here is with emby server or it's because of the Shield update. 

FrostByte
5 hours ago, Jonz said:

All these steps were done and tested. I've just uninstalled emby server and rebuild database again, now i'm trying to connect and play with via emby web and it still fails. All NAS drives are mounted on the shield and can be accessed via file explorers. I've also uninstalled kodi currently, will reinstall it later but i doubt it will yield any difference as even via Emby Web it's not playing. 

Btw, i've tried  using xplore - it can't access mounted drives nor the USB expanded storage. MX Player couldn't find any media files to play either. 

I'm not quite sure if the issue here is with emby server or it's because of the Shield update. 

Have you tried the hotfix yet?  That is supposed to correct the issues you're having.  

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Have you tried the hotfix yet?  That is supposed to correct the issues you're having. 

Yes got the hotfix now and it allowed VLC to play files on my mounted drives. Emby server database that was built prior to the hotfix is still not working. I'll try to wipe, reinstall and rebuild another emby server database later. 

• Like 1

FrostByte

Looking at that it sounds like "Allow all the time" fixes some of the permissions problems other apps are having.

14 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Looking at that it sounds like "Allow all the time" fixes some of the permissions problems other apps are having.

Problem is Emby server doesn't prompt the Allow All the Time option on my Shield. Only Allow or Don't Allow is available 

CBers
49 minutes ago, Jonz said:

Problem is Emby server doesn't prompt the Allow All the Time option on my Shield. Only Allow or Don't Allow is available 

Go into the settings of the app and enable it. 

FrostByte
17 minutes ago, CBers said:

Go into the settings of the app and enable it. 

ATV and ET are both missing that option.  It's there for VLC and the other apps

Settings_20220116_094935.png.27b6e743f4358512ac88cbb650687372.png

FrostByte

Here's the option you should choose according to that article.  I've seen the same thing posted by the nVidia staff on their forum.

Settings_20220116_095437.png.3c076915d72eb426785026b2feb0df8d.png