Shield Experience 9 Release

CBers

CBers
18 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

Well I cannot get it to work even with the behind the scenes help of @FrostByte. We have the same type of setup. When I did use it I too, as @CBers said, found it slower on the startup.

Have you installed the latest ATV beta release, beta 63?

Audiomixer
32 minutes ago, CBers said:

Have you installed the latest ATV beta release, beta 63?

Yessir. Remounted the nas and can access and play video via x-plore, kodi, VLC no issues. Checked and rechecked permissions for .63 which is set to allow. Also made sure the app itself has the box checked pass direct path. This is what my synology nas 4.7.0.20 is showing. So I’m at a loss.

IMG_1169.jpg

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Like 1

rbjtech

So @FrostByte - using .63 AndroidTV beta - you are able to play via File, but it takes a long time vs HTTP correct ?  What is a 'long time' - 5 seconds, 30 seconds, longer ? ;)

I'm still on the previous Android OS on my Shield 2019 Pro and in two minds whether to upgrade or not - as my Shields primary purpose is 4K Remux playback - so I don't want to lose the File ability as it's been working perfectly since I've had it.

Thanks.

FrostByte
11 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So @FrostByte - using .63 AndroidTV beta - you are able to play via File, but it takes a long time vs HTTP correct ?  What is a 'long time' - 5 seconds, 30 seconds, longer ? ;)

I'm still on the previous Android OS on my Shield 2019 Pro and in two minds whether to upgrade or not - as my Shields primary purpose is 4K Remux playback - so I don't want to lose the File ability as it's been working perfectly since I've had it.

Thanks.

I'm betting it's almost a minute now watching the spinning wheel vs almost instant before SE9.  It's so long my wife started playing solitaire on her phone to see how far she could get before our show started playing.

• Haha 2

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I'm betting it's almost a minute now watching the spinning wheel vs almost instant before SE9.  It's so long my wife started playing solitaire on her phone to see how far she could get before our show started playing.

oh wow ok - thanks.  Hmmm I'd like to try and help to solve it but don't want to break it for myself - 😬

• Agree 1

rbjtech

So I went for it .. and upgrade to Android 11.

The good news is HTTP is working with 4K Remux's but no File for me at the moment.

A quick packet capture suggests emby is sending an SMB2 request (TCP 445) - but is not getting a response to it's Request File - and thus falls back to HTTP (TCP 8096)

Compared to VLC/X-plore etc where a SMB query gets a ReadFile response and connects via SMB2.

It's late here in the UK - so I'll investigate more tomorrow to compare the two traces... 

The joys of the 'Upgrade' ... lol 😜

image.thumb.png.8a208a27ebf0db0b69bc8f1ccbdb501f.png

• Like 2

Audiomixer
13 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So I went for it .. and upgrade to Android 11.

The good news is HTTP is working with 4K Remux's but no File for me at the moment.

A quick packet capture suggests emby is sending an SMB2 request (TCP 445) - but is not getting a response to it's Request File - and thus falls back to HTTP (TCP 8096)

Compared to VLC/X-plore etc where a SMB query gets a ReadFile response and connects via SMB2.

It's late here in the UK - so I'll investigate more tomorrow to compare the two traces... 

The joys of the 'Upgrade' ... lol 😜

image.thumb.png.8a208a27ebf0db0b69bc8f1ccbdb501f.png

Question. Isn’t shield using smb3?

FrostByte

The SE 8.2 update added smb3, but it may still be able to send smb2 for compatibility.  My Synology uses smb3 as maximum, but the minimum protocol is still smb2.  It won't let you set just smb3.

Edited by FrostByte

Audiomixer
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

The SE 8.2 update added smb3, but it may still be able to send smb2 for compatibility.  My Synology uses smb3 as maximum, but the minimum protocol is still smb2.  It won't let you set just smb3.

Right and my nas is also smb2 min and smb3 max. The shield does smb 3, 2, 1 according to nvidia I just confirmed.

On synology for min, do you use smb2 large mtu?

Edited by Audiomixer

CBers
5 hours ago, FrostByte said:

@rbjtechhave you loaded the hotfix yet?  I have it loaded, though Audiomixer does also and his isn't working and mine is.

So Direct File Access is working with the hotfix?

CBers

I upgraded the 2nd of my 3 Shields last night, this time the main one in my lounge, and although it all went OK and works in the same was as before, there is an audio glitch.

When I play something, then press back to stop playback, the video stops, but the audio plays for a split second behind a blank screen, before returning to the previous page.

Didn't have this before.

Has anyone else experienced this since upgrading?

• Like 1

rbjtech
6 hours ago, FrostByte said:

@rbjtechhave you loaded the hotfix yet?  I have it loaded, though Audiomixer does also and his isn't working and mine is.

Ah no ok - so I've just subscribed  - hopefully I'll get the update soon.

rbjtech
1 hour ago, CBers said:

I upgraded the 2nd of my 3 Shields last night, this time the main one in my lounge, and although it all went OK and works in the same was as before, there is an audio glitch.

When I play something, then press back to stop playback, the video stops, but the audio plays for a split second behind a blank screen, before returning to the previous page.

Didn't have this before.

The return to the Emby screen does appear to take longer than I remember (1 sec or so) - but I don't get any Audio issues.    This is with a direct HDMI Audio connection to an AVR - I don't use ARC/eARC.

FrostByte
5 hours ago, CBers said:

Didn't have this before.

File access is working for me and I have the hotfix.  Not sure if those two are related, though the description of the hotfix makes it sound like it could be.  The only problem with file access is that it takes a lot longer to start than it did before SE9

rbjtech

@FrostByte - Do you recall how long you had to wait before the hotfix's were available to you after subscribing ?  

It says 24-48 hrs - is that for real ? ;)

Thanks.

btw - there is nothing obvious in the packet traces to give us a clue as to why Emby is not working and VLC/X-Plore is.   I tried a SPAN Port capture from the Shield itself as well - no difference.

I guess I'll wait for the hotfix and keep my fingers crossed. 

FrostByte
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

@FrostByte - Do you recall how long you had to wait before the hotfix's were available to you after subscribing ?  

It says 24-48 hrs - is that for real ? ;)

Thanks.

btw - there is nothing obvious in the packet traces to give us a clue as to why Emby is not working and VLC/X-Plore is.   I tried a SPAN Port capture from the Shield itself as well - no difference.

I guess I'll wait for the hotfix and keep my fingers crossed. 

It was like 30 mins at the most.  Very quick

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

The only problem with file access is that it takes a lot longer to start than it did before SE9

Once File Access is actually working for me - I should hopefully be able to see what's causing this delay - ie is it the client waiting for a network response, or is it retries etc etc. 

• Like 1

rbjtech
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

It was like 30 mins at the most.  Very quick

Hmm - mine has been a few hours - let me check my s/n !  👍

FrostByte

Oh, and ebr's beta fix definitely was needed for File access too.  I already had the hotfix before I loaded .63, but as soon as I upgraded and gave ATV "File and media" permissions on the Shield then File access worked again

rbjtech
10 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Oh, and ebr's beta fix definitely was needed for File access too.  I already had the hotfix before I loaded .63, but as soon as I upgraded and gave ATV "File and media" permissions on the Shield then File access worked again

I loaded .63 on first (while still on SE8) as I wanted to check that File Access still worked before the 'Update'.  It did.  Looking in the App permissions, Emby already appeared to have the required access, I did not need to update it - maybe that's what the Emby Beta enabled - not sure, but if an App/Update can just create it's own permissions, then I guess that defeats the entire purpose of the extra app security .. 🤔  

FrostByte

I think maybe that's the whole purpose of the new permissions in SE9, you need to go into the SHield and grant premissions.  The app can't just take them

Audiomixer
6 hours ago, CBers said:

Didn't have this before.

I have seen this and that is with hotfix.

51 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Hmm - mine has been a few hours - let me check my s/n !  👍

It can be fast and it can take hours. Took 4 hours for me to get it on day one.

CBers
16 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

I have seen this and that is with hotfix.

I don't have the hotfix installed.