Shield Experience 9 Release

CBers

CBers

Looks like Shield Experience 9 is now available. 

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2022/01/12/shield-experience-9/

Enhancements

Display

Adds option to disable all HDMI-CEC functionality

Audio

[2019 SHIELD all models] Most system audio is now encoded in Dolby Digital Plus when available

Reduced overall latency for Dolby Digital Plus audio path

Adds option to match audio content resolution. Enable when playing High Resolution Audio on SHIELD. Note: Not available on Plex and this feature disables Dolby Audio Processing

Adds support for DTS-HD HRA audio streams

Adds AV sync support for encoded audio (Dolby, DTS, etc)

Accessories

Adds support for aptX compatible bluetooth headsets

Branded logo buttons on controllers (Playstation, XBOX, NVIDIA) now bring up Stadia menu when playing Stadia

Adds option to disconnect Bluetooth devices on SHIELD sleep

Adds support for XBOX One wired controllers

Adds controller support for Apple TV app

Storage

Adds option to scan for media when removable storage is connected to SHIELD. Enable to view media on removable storage on Photos & Videos app. (Default: Disabled)

Other

Adds support for 4K+HDR with GeForce NOW RTX 3080 membership

Updates default keyboard to “Gboard”. Previous “Leanback” keyboard available under settings.

Updates system popup windows to new Android R style

Adds the following Quick Settings options: Dolby Audio Processing, Match content audio resolution

Bug Fixes

Display

Fixes HDCP sleep/wake issues when connecting to LG soundbars

Audio

Resolves audio dropout issue when “HDMI comfort noise” is enabled

Resolves Netflix and Youtube playback issues when USB DAC is connected to SHIELD

Networking

[SHIELD 2019 all models] Improves low power wifi channel experience

Accessories

Fixes bug where some Bluetooth headsets do not auto-reconnect properly

Storage

Resolves low storage issue when taking SHIELD Experience upgrade even with enough free storage

Resolve issue where only one USB drive would be detected if multiple drives have the same name

Other

[SHIELD 2019 base model] Resolves playback issue when playing 4K + HDR video on Plex

Fixes bug where streaming to twitch would stop after ~2.5 hours

Known Issues (Join the HotFix for quicker resolution of these issues: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481434/shield-experience-upgrade-90-hotfix-image/)

File browsing apps may require permissions be manually set to modify/delete files or directories. Set permission under "Settings -> apps -> [file browser app name] -> Permissions -> Files and media" and set to "Allow while using this app"

AI upscaling does not work when streaming GeForce NOW 1080p HDR content

SHIELD TV mobile app and some 3rd party controllers do not work properly on Kodi

Resolution is capped at 1080p when using ADB for screen capture

Connecting to SHIELD over local network does not show content in adopted storage

[2019 SHIELD all models] When toggling “Dolby audio processing” audio may be lost until SHIELD is rebooted

Corruption briefly observed when watching YouTube TV

[SHIELD 2019 base model] SD card occasionally does not get detected after reboot

Unable to log into Google or Netflix accounts when using restricted profile

Audio stutter issues with aptX-HD compatible headsets

VUDU does not cast in UHD

XBOX controllers may not automatcally reconnect after disconnecting on SHIELD sleep

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481350/shield-experience-upgrade-90-released-11222/

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I haven't been able to get File Access to work since updating.  Removed and readded the mount on the Shield and still get HTTP access.

FrostByte

Possibly related since I'm using a NAS

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481350/shield-experience-upgrade-90-released-11222/3194380/

nvidia says Plex is working a fix?  So maybe ATV needs to patch something also?

Shield@NVIDIA
3h
There is a known issue with plex on setups with external storage that Plex is working to fix.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

I can access my media files on the NAS mount using Xplore on the Shield, it's just Emby that can't directly access them anymore.  🙁

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Google Play Movies & TV adds stunning Dolby Vision HDR for unparalleled cinematic experiences on SHIELD TV.”

Is this for 2017 models?

I would assume not.  I haven't seen anything saying they added DV support to any model other than the 2019s

Audiomixer

To answer some questions, the direct access hasn’t worked in any beta of android 11. Been trying to get this to work myself for quite some time on android 11 but no dice.  That seems borked. The external storage spoken about refers to external storage used on the shield such as usb storage that houses plex data. Fortunately it doesn’t affect Emby as far as I know. Also DV will never come to pre 2019 shield devices due to licensing and hardware limitations.

• Like 3

FrostByte

There is a Hotfix for Experience 9 already just released today

Resolves issue with connecting to SHIELD over local network does not show content in adopted storage
Resolves memory leak with Dolby Processing feature
Resolves issue with [SHIELD 2019 base model] SD card occasionally does not get detected after reboot
Resolves issue where file browsing apps may need to set permissions manually
Resolves SHIELD TV app and some 3rd party controller issues with Kodi
Resolves issue with [2019 SHIELD all models] When toggling “Dolby audio processing” audio may be lost until SHIELD is rebooted
Resolves issue with corruption briefly observed when watching YouTube TV

SHIELD Experience Upgrade 9.0+ HotFi | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

Doesn't help direct access though

rbjtech
5 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I can access my media files on the NAS mount using Xplore on the Shield, it's just Emby that can't directly access them anymore.  🙁

• File browsing apps may require permissions be manually set to modify/delete files or directories. Set permission under "Settings -> apps -> [file browser app name] -> Permissions -> Files and media" and set to "Allow while using this app"

from https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481350/shield-experience-upgrade-90-released-11222/

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5303/kw/permission

I've not been brave enough to Upgrade to 9 - and by the looks of it a good call as I use direct file access.. 🤔

tbh everything is working perfectly well for me on the previous/current version - so I'm not in any great rush to upgrade..

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

CBers

I updated my 2015 Shield last night without any issues.

Everything still working, apart from an message when I use the X-Plore file manager app, but it doesn't stop anything from working and I'm sure the dev will fix that soon enough.

FrostByte
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:
  • File browsing apps may require permissions be manually set to modify/delete files or directories. Set permission under "Settings -> apps -> [file browser app name] -> Permissions -> Files and media" and set to "Allow while using this app"

from https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481350/shield-experience-upgrade-90-released-11222/

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5303/kw/permission

I've not been brave enough to Upgrade to 9 - and by the looks of it a good call as I use direct file access.. 🤔

tbh everything is working perfectly well for me on the previous/current version - so I'm not in any great rush to upgrade..

Okay if that's needed now then ebr might need to add that into ATV also.  Odd it's already in there for the Android app, but ATV which uses direct access doesn't have that setting. 

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
15 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Okay if that's needed now then ebr might need to add that into ATV also.  Odd it's already in there for the Android app, but ATV which uses direct access doesn't have that setting. 

Ah ok thanks -- so you've tried this and there is no Emby AndroidTV App in there to set these new permissions for ?

FrostByte
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Ah ok thanks -- so you've tried this and there is no Emby AndroidTV App in there to set these new permissions for ?

I probably should have reworded that.  You can change ATV app permissions on the Shield, but the only permission I see is for the Mic.  The standard app lists a setting for "Files and media" which you can toggle on.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech

With ya ! - Thanks for this.

I'll hold off on the update until we get those File and media permissions for the Emby AndroidTV App.

I'm making the assumption that that is what is stopping direct file access from working..

edit - I'm also wondering if you may get them if you, remove the app and re-add it ?

Edited by rbjtech

FrostByte

I assume the standard app has always had that setting though because you can download files for playing which you can't with ATV

FrostByte
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

I'm making the assumption that that is what is stopping direct file access from working..

Ya, I'm not sure either.  Audiomixer has been on the beta for Android 11 and may know more

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

With ya ! - Thanks for this.

I'll hold off on the update until we get those File and media permissions for the Emby AndroidTV App.

edit - I'm also wondering if you may get them if you, remove the app and re-add it ?

Does this problem only concern a setup where one has some external USB device attached to a Shield device and want to access files in it via Emby? 

Audiomixer
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Ya, I'm not sure either.  Audiomixer has been on the beta for Android 11 and may know more

It must be because I could never get it to work since being on android 11 while I could on my other shield which was still on 8.2.3 running the exact same server and app back when we were testing the server. The android tv app worked fine except for this issue of direct file. We spent quite a bit of time on this back in November but never got around to finish it as the server was the main focus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Audiomixer
1 hour ago, Ruato said:

Does this problem only concern a setup where one has some external USB device attached to a Shield device and want to access files in it via Emby? 

For me it was nas storage that was affected.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

For me it was nas storage that was affected.

OK, thank you for the info! So, if one does not utilize direct access but only accesses files via Emby Server, this issue does not apply?

Audiomixer

Yup that is how it is working on mine. If you pull up the stats for nerds, for stream type it will show http rather than file.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Yes, normal playback of movies being streamed through Emby server still works for me.  Direct access just allows ATV to bypass the server and play your movies directly without it being streamed back through the server thus eliminating some overhead.  Because of this some find it to be a little better when playing extremely high bitrate files especially those of us using NAS which tend to be a little slower

• Like 1

FrostByte
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Made no difference.  If ebr thinks that may help he may have to do something in the app to make that appear in the Shield settings.

• Thanks 1