Big question (SE9)

nickysilver

nickysilver

Ok..... I updated my Nvidia Shield.  (I wouldn't have done it, but it does it automatically, if you don'y.)  

The problem is. Emby and Emby server were both on a USB drive formatted as internal memory.

Now, My movies are all there, I mean the artwork for them etc. BUT if I try to play anything, it can no longer access the drive. (I've checked every permission.  VLC can access it, but not Emby,

I am ok, reinstalling the server, if I have to. There should have been a back up in the shield of my metadata-- but the update appears to have reformatted that drive!

Now.... Luckily I backed up a bunch of stuff onto my laptop a month ago:

config

data

Emby backup - 2021 - 11- 22 00.1.8 Auto

Emby Data

Is there anyway I can re0install the server and then use those files/folders to restore everything?

(It's a LOT Of work redoing it!)

Help!

(And NEVER update the shield!)

Audiomixer

Make sure you are running the beta 4.7.0.19 as this has the fix for android 11. Also I would ping @cayars to address the external usb storage.

Edited by Audiomixer

Audiomixer

Oh good @Luke I wasn’t aware. Could it be that since he uses external storage that it is the same issue plex users are having?

Edited by Audiomixer

nickysilver

As I said. A month ago, I manually backed up EVERYTHING (see above.)

So, I feel like I have to delete the server, and reinstall, then scan the hard drives, then  replace all the data files... but I'm not sure how exactly to do that. What order do I do it it in?

And if you look at the list above, what should I replace?

nickysilver

here's wha i think....(based on what i've researched), when you format an external drive as "internal memory" on the shield, it can only br read by the shield it's "married" to. the update today seems to make the drive think it's a new shield, so it can no longer read it. 

(oddly emby shows i have 14 movies. i have 2400)

so, the think to do is start over, and replace what you tell me to from my back up files.

nickysilver

Ok.... Could someone explain to me how to restore from the files I have. (I'll attach a screen cap.) Or point me toward an article hat explains it.

The server is there and running. (it cannot access any movies or tv shows sadly.

I seem to have two options. Delete the emby and the server from the shield and start fresh from scratch.  Install the server and the app. Scan the hard drives that hold movies and tv. Then, replace the meta data with what I have (and the collections, artwork etc.) Do I then scan it again? 

Or.. the server is still there, as the app. It simply cannot access any files. I could try just deleting all the libraries. Then rescan the hard drives for movies and tv shows. Once the scan is done, replace files I have for the new ones that've been created.

Advice? Guidance? 

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at  10.59. AMJan 13, 2022.jpg

I am also running latest emby server beta on my shield after the new shield update Says my emby server is running but the app gets Server unavailable.

6 hours ago, nickysilver said:

Ok.... Could someone explain to me how to restore from the files I have. (I'll attach a screen cap.) Or point me toward an article hat explains it.

The server is there and running. (it cannot access any movies or tv shows sadly.

I seem to have two options. Delete the emby and the server from the shield and start fresh from scratch.  Install the server and the app. Scan the hard drives that hold movies and tv. Then, replace the meta data with what I have (and the collections, artwork etc.) Do I then scan it again? 

Or.. the server is still there, as the app. It simply cannot access any files. I could try just deleting all the libraries. Then rescan the hard drives for movies and tv shows. Once the scan is done, replace files I have for the new ones that've been created.

Advice? Guidance? 

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at  10.59. AMJan 13, 2022.jpg

Hi, please take a look at our backup guide and let us know if it helps: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

Thanks.

nickysilver
5 hours ago, rljnc said:

I am also running latest emby server beta on my shield after the new shield update Says my emby server is running but the app gets Server unavailable.

Did you have an external drive plugged into the shield? That seems to be the culprit.

nickysilver

Installed the hot fix and Emby is loading. All the meta is lost-- but I have those files copied onto my desktop to, when it finishes this scan (which could be a while-- lotta movies/tv) I will try replacing the present files with the ones I had copied.

(Oddly, it seems to have retained the "viewed status" but not "sort names." argh")

I read the article... but if anyone wants to point me to what file I should replace to restore the "sort names" I'll be FORVER in their debt!!!

Edited by nickysilver
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...