Possible memory Leak on DSM 7 version??

K1ng_Lear

K1ng_Lear

Hi,

I am not sure if my issue is really EMBY related so I want to ask around if anybody else encounters a similar issue.

After my update to DSM 7 I've to reboot my device almost every two weeks due to an unexpected increase of the memory consumption which results in an unresponsive system eventually. The Synology support is involved but they couldn't find anything since October. So, my question here if anybody else have something similar. 

It's no bug report yet, so I haven't attached my EMBY logs.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-11 um 17.23.29.png

By any chance do you have memory compression turned on in Synology? (control panel->Hardware & Power)

used to see that type of pattern until I turned it off.
It seems like it's fighting against the apps it's trying to help by dumping memory to free it up.  But if it's memory that's needed it's a bit of a fighting match as memory is slowly dumped, then is seems to ramp up slowly until you hear more and more disk thrashing and the system gets lethargic.

No idea if that's what you're seeing but what do other resources like memory look like for those same periods?

K1ng_Lear
21 hours ago, cayars said:

By any chance do you have memory compression turned on in Synology? (control panel->Hardware & Power)

used to see that type of pattern until I turned it off.
It seems like it's fighting against the apps it's trying to help by dumping memory to free it up.  But if it's memory that's needed it's a bit of a fighting match as memory is slowly dumped, then is seems to ramp up slowly until you hear more and more disk thrashing and the system gets lethargic.

No idea if that's what you're seeing but what do other resources like memory look like for those same periods?

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I‘ve deactivated the memory compression so this couldn’t be the cause to my issue.

Rule that one out then. It was just a thought.

Have you used any command line utils to see what's going on under the covers?  Synology is rather lacking in these tools but there are a few 3rd party utils you can add from the catalog with the community added.  I think there are 4 or 5 of them all starting with "Syno" in the name.  They add many of the "top" commands and things like iostats which is really helpful.

K1ng_Lear
On 1/13/2022 at 10:36 PM, cayars said:

Rule that one out then. It was just a thought.

Have you used any command line utils to see what's going on under the covers?  Synology is rather lacking in these tools but there are a few 3rd party utils you can add from the catalog with the community added.  I think there are 4 or 5 of them all starting with "Syno" in the name.  They add many of the "top" commands and things like iostats which is really helpful.

Hmpf, I've to admit this over my basic linux knowledge. I can log in and go sudo but I've to be very carefully due to I am not really a LINUX crack and typically copy and paste the commands if necessary.

Doesn't sound like you've done anything like that then. Going back to the graph you showed where it's using more resources over time.  Have you grabbed any screen shots of resources at different points in time to see what application or service is actually using more resources?

K1ng_Lear
9 hours ago, cayars said:

Doesn't sound like you've done anything like that then. Going back to the graph you showed where it's using more resources over time.  Have you grabbed any screen shots of resources at different points in time to see what application or service is actually using more resources?

Yep, I've done this. That's the weird part. Neither in the resource overview nor in the consumption view of the docker containers I couldn't see any unexpected RAM consumption. Actually is the synology support a little bit clueless, too. Ok, they don't admit it but they see a piece of running software, like EMBY, with a higher consumption, and think that is the reason. I think that 400 - 800 MB RAM consumption is absolutely normal to EMBY, isn't it. (400 MB while idle up to 800 while transcoding)

Yes that's totally normal.  My 920+ is sitting at 631MB RAM usage with nothing going on right now which is my typical minimum.
I've got database cache size set to 512 which allow it to cache up to 512MB of database.  Later today with NFL games on and some viewing it will up near or over 1TB of memory usage most likely.

I recently just removed the 2 NVME sticks from my Synology920+ and noticed the box making quite a lot of HDD noise and resources we up over 40% without much going on (or so I thought).  Then I looked at services and files last accessed and started making adjustments.  Over time I had been turning on more and more built in logging. That combined with some things running in docker were the issues.

I've noticed that if I run disk benchmarks now they are much higher than they were previously when there was all the activity hitting the disks all the time. Tomorrow most likely (after NFL games today)  I'll be turning docker back on and starting one app at a time while keeping an eye on performance.

Synology built in tools are substantially lacking for tracking performance issues down.  Why they insist on removing basic Linux utils that make this type of thing easy is beyond me.
If you add the Community repository to Package Manager there are 4 packages you can install all starting with the name SynoCLI which aid greatly in this respect. These 4 packages give you back some tools like nano (easy full screen editor) to iostat to the different "top" programs and more. Log Analysis is another useful 3rd party package to install that can help as well.