Moving Emby onto a Synology DS1512+

Astrocat

Astrocat

Hi,

I have read up and have experimented a little. 

I purchased a DS1512+ , it was cheap and I am a scrooge !

It seems the only way to get Emby to run on this device is via Docker, as the other method's install ok it seems, but fail at running. I assume the cedarview version of Emby (which it seems this DS1512+ needs) is not longer used or supported ?

Tried, Synology configuration, with emby packages source https://synology.emby.media but just got told to try again later.

This Nas has great support for ddns and automatic certificates from letsencrypt, built in reverse proxy makes this possible. Remembering to generate and replace the certificate, shut down Emby and restart every 90 days is now a chore, so this would be a breath of fresh air.

All devices will use direct play, no transcoding needed, all content is H.264 mp4's aside from the photo's. The live TV via the Internet should be fine as assume this is not re transcoded.

Am I wasting my time trying to use this older NAS to deliver content around my house ? I am trying to retire a noisy 2008 R2 server that hosts Emby.

Happy2Play
35 minutes ago, Astrocat said:

Hi,

I have read up and have experimented a little. 

I purchased a DS1512+ , it was cheap and I am a scrooge !

It seems the only way to get Emby to run on this device is via Docker, as the other method's install ok it seems, but fail at running. I assume the cedarview version of Emby (which it seems this DS1512+ needs) is not longer used or supported ?

Tried, Synology configuration, with emby packages source https://synology.emby.media but just got told to try again later.

This Nas has great support for ddns and automatic certificates from letsencrypt, built in reverse proxy makes this possible. Remembering to generate and replace the certificate, shut down Emby and restart every 90 days is now a chore, so this would be a breath of fresh air.

All devices will use direct play, no transcoding needed, all content is H.264 mp4's aside from the photo's. The live TV via the Internet should be fine as assume this is not re transcoded.

Am I wasting my time trying to use this older NAS to deliver content around my house ? I am trying to retire a noisy 2008 R2 server that hosts Emby.

I don't see why as the chart show it is (x64).

First question would be what DSM version?  Then what version/link did you try to install?

Your fellow Synology user may have more questions.

Astrocat

Hi, 

Thank your for the responses.

This DS 1512+ has DSM 6.2.425556 Update 2, and I have tried to manually install the x64 version from Synology section of the Emby download page.

I have tried emby-server-synology_4.6.6.0_x86_64.spk and emby-server-synology_4.6.7.0_x86_64.spk. These both install without any signs of error.

When you look at Emby in the Package centre of installed packages it has a RUN button, all the other packages have an OPEN button.

Clicking the RUN button gets some activity but RUN buttons remains.

A folder and User is created for Emby but no results from http://nas:8096

The Emby folder is empty.  

@cayars

Astrocat

Hi,

The DS1512+ cannot be upgraded to DSM 7. Synology have drawn the line and it does not get DSM 7 it seems, so is stuck at 6.2.45556 Update 2

I tried and earlier version 4.5.4 of x64 emby, but after your click run in the Package center it still displays Stopped. I have looked everywhere for log's via SSH in the /var/packages/EmbyServer but there is not much in those folders.

Can you suggest where i could find any log's after the package is run to see where it is stopping ?

Astrocat

I found the log, seems there is a problem with the user created for Docker and the user the package needs. "emby user does not exist." So i deleted users and the package runs.

Thank you for your help

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Astrocat said:

I found the log, seems there is a problem with the user created for Docker and the user the package needs. "emby user does not exist." So i deleted users and the package runs.

Thank you for your help

Thanks for the feedback.

11 hours ago, Astrocat said:

Thank you for your help

This has me a bit confused.  You were downloading Synology packages but running in Docker?

Did you end up using the docker download vs Synology?

Astrocat

I jumped into google, found a youtube explaining how to get emby on the Nas, followed its instructions, create folder and user, got the user ID via SSH. Installed Docker and then use docker to get emby. That youtube video needs removed !!

Then came to this site while media was getting moved to the Nas. It explains just to install emby from the Synology section of downloads.

It turns out, that the manual creation of the emby user caused the issue. It became apparent only when I tried to install version 4.5.4.0-0001 when looking at /var/log/packages/EmbyServer.log as detailed below. Whereas version 4.6.7.0 and 4.6.6.0 do not display the error in the log.

2022/01/11 15:54:05 install EmbyServer 4.5.4.0-0001 End /bin/rm -rf /volume1/@tmp/pkginstall ret=[0]
2022/01/11 15:54:09 install EmbyServer 4.5.4.0-0001 Begin start-stop-status start
2022/01/11 15:54:10 install EmbyServer 4.5.4.0-0001 End start-stop-status start ret=[0]
su: user emby does not exist
2022/01/11 15:55:29 start EmbyServer 4.5.4.0-0001 Begin start-stop-status stop
/var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/start-stop-status: line 22: kill: (17201) - No such process
2022/01/11 15:55:30 start EmbyServer 4.5.4.0-0001 End start-stop-status stop ret=[0]
2022/01/11 15:55:30 start EmbyServer 4.5.4.0-0001 Begin start-stop-status start
2022/01/11 15:55:30 start EmbyServer 4.5.4.0-0001 End start-stop-status start ret=[0]
su: user emby does not exist
2022/01/11 15:58:55 uninstall EmbyServer 4.5.4.0-0001 Begin start-stop-status stop
/var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/start-stop-status: line 22: kill: (20877) - No such process

So i deleted Docker vm of emby, then Docker, then the Emby folder manually created and the emby user manually created,

Then tried to install and run again, and it worked fine, uninstalled 4.5.4 and installed the latest version emby-server-synology_4.6.7.0_x86_64.spk and runs fine :)

Unfortunately for as much good content that is on Youtube, there is a lot of wrong info as well.

But it lead you here so it wasn't all bad. :)

More importantly are you all set now?