The ability to change audio/subtitle track for an entire show manually

Weevillo

Weevillo

Before you go ahead and label this a duplicate or suggest that the "set preferred language" option in settings pleases this request, I'm talking about a use-case for a feature such as this for scenarios where language-labeled subtitles doesn't benefit from the already existing preset in settings, i.e if you're watching a foreign media and there's a signs track in English because there's also a dub of the show.

Having to change tracks every episode even though technically the correct language is selected but it's still not the right one gets quite tedious. What I'm suggesting is that you add the per-episode menu to the show/season details one more or less-.

Screenshot 2022-01-10 145421.png

Screenshot 2022-01-10 145457.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Weevillo
39 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Not exactly clear what you're asking here? To select different same-language subs?

Yes, more or less. There can be multiple tracks of the same language that serves different purposes or are made by different people/groups when it comes to foreign media. Like in the first screenshot but for entire seasons/shows.

GrimReaper

But how do you envision server deciding/selecting which version of the subs - in addition to language - should be preselected? Not all episodes do necessarily have to have multiple same internal sub versions, and that is not including potential external subs? 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

ginjaninja

so present in ui at show level

the distinct set of audio track languages from all episodes as "ShowAudio Language"

and

the distinct set of subtitle track languages from all episodes "Show Subtitle Language"

on change overwrite all per episode settings on language match

overrule automated behaviour where match of show language setting to episode languages present. direct episode setting highest preference.

as a suggestion

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper

Still don't quite understand how does anyone expect certain version of same-languaged subs to be preselected - moreso as each episode can have a different set and common "version" between all episodes doesn't necessarily have to exist at all - but my coding skills are rudimentary at best, maybe the Devs might come with some solution. 

In the meantime, similar open FR, might suit your needs, lend your support there:

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Weevillo
2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

But how do you envision server deciding/selecting which version of the subs - in addition to language - should be preselected? Not all episodes do necessarily have to have multiple same internal sub versions, and that is not including potential external subs? 

That's the thing: I don't envision the server deciding whether to select type one or type two of the subtitles, I just want the ability to, by myself, manually select the subtitle type for a whole season/show. Now, this depends on the release I've grabbed to have named the subtitles alike throughout all the episode. I.e in the screenshot above it says on one episode of twelve "English (ASS) Vivid (FFF)", that's the same name for all the other subtitles in the other eleven episodes. The server could never guess correctly in this case.

Now this specific show only had 12 episodes like I mentioned, but shows of this type regularly goes up to 24 episode or even more. Having the change the subtitles for all of these is tedious to say the least. If a function could be implemented that depended on the subtitle name being consistent across all episodes (which they all are for my 130 shows in my library, I know this from manually changing them every episode for shows that doesn't have regular subtitles as the default track) it would make the experience much more satisfactory. Maybe it's worth pointing out that this is anime, if you didn't know. This function is to cater to the users of Emby that doesn't watch mainstream shows like Westworld where there will, with 99% guarantee, be one subtitle track per language. For those types of shows the already-in-place system works for all cases, more or less. But multiple tracks adjusted for dubs are commonplace in Asian media (brought to the west), and that's when you get this scenario where the default tracks aren't regular subtitles, instead they're made for perhaps an English dub of the show. But there's always regular subtitles for those who watch it in the native language (it's about a 70/30 split of regular subtitles being default and then there's the rest), and that's when this function comes into play, even though both tracks are assigned as English, you'll be able to change the track for all episodes seamlessly.

You're making the case that there's a big enough of a chance that the subs aren't named consistently, I mean that this medium in contrast to western media floating around on the internet are consistent, and that's why I suggested this function. I wouldn't have done it if that was a problem. External subs would be even better for this function, since they'll be the ones you probably want and while showing up as "undefined" you'll just select those for all the episodes of the series and be good to go.

Edited by Weevillo
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Weevillo said:

You're making the case that there's a big enough of a chance that the subs aren't named consistently, 

There is actually an extremely good chance of that.  However, it seems to me what you are asking for is a duplicate of the above request because it is also asking us to somehow select the "same" subtitle for each subsequent episode once one is chosen.  Please lend support to that topic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the bump - I was just looking for a feature like this too.  

Coming over from Plex - basically something like PASTA.  Granted it's a sorta home-built solution outside of Plex itself, but it has the capability (and works flawlessly) to switch a series' default audio and subtitle track by season, by series, or by episode.  So you can select to set the "Season" to match your preference, pick a language and sub, and it'll set each episode of that season to correspond to the picked choices - and if an episode is missing your preferred track/sub it'll note that and you'll see it skipped that episode in the log visible upon performing the switch.

Handy tool, be cool if someone did something like that for Emby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
buhochileno

I second that, something like PASTA will be great for emby, even if it have basic functionalities...hopefully is not so hard to pass parameters to the player based on the tvshow settings..

• Thanks 1