"No stream available" error when playing MKV files

NaveedAS

NaveedAS

Hi , i just noticed that all of my MKV files on the emby server are giving me this error when i play them via my desktop. the same file opens up when i use my phone.

my phone is a one plus 3 

my desktop is a windows 10 machine and i am using EDGE browser to run the videos. Emby is running on a synology NAS.

reading through the forums, i was tempted to convert one file to mp4 and try again, but if it works via mobile, then it should on the desktop too? do i need to install any additional codecs, packages to make it happen?

i checked the logs and found this statement repeatedly...

" [matroska,webm @ 0xb1f3440] Could not find codec parameters for stream 12 (Attachment: none): unknown codec"

but funny thing is, i didnt see this error in the other files i tried to run, just in the first file. i did two restarts hoping it might help (who knows) but didnt.

regards

Naveed

Hi, You were probably using the Emby Client on your phone correct?  If so that will have native playback for many formats where the browser on your PC will be far more limited.

In general browsers have the least compatibility for streaming once you deviate from H.264 in a mp4 format.  Some browsers handle mkv containers and even H.265 but depends on the codecs being available as well as options set in the browser to use them.  So it can be made to work but likely doesn't out of the box in a browser.

If you're an Emby Premiere holder the first thing you should do is run to the download section to download Emby Theater for desktop and use that all the time instead of a browser.  You can admin your system with it as well. It gives you support for nearly everything.  PS a new version of Theater will be available shortly which is fantastic and a lot faster as well.

If you don't have Premiere you will need to dig in a bit to see what's happening when you playback in the browser.  Stats for Nerds will give you info on the client itself about the stream (cog icon, bottom right during playback, then SFN menu item).  You can view information about the stream from the server dashboard as well to see if it's transcoding and why.  Lastly the ffmpeg log file generated during playback found in the logs menu on the server will have the most information and log any errors or issues.

Try these items and if you can't improve things upload the server log and ffmpeg log file for a playback here and we can take a look for you.

NaveedAS

Hi Luke

please see the attached logs. one more observation: when this happens the emby server seems to be into a semi-hung state - and takes about 5 minutes to recover. the NAS doesnt show any CPU or RAM spikes though so i am assuming all of this is some processes getting stuck up.

@cayars sorry not a premiere member yet. i did download the emby theatre app for windows 10 and it gives an option to play 1 min of any video. so i tried that with similar results, it just keeps showing a busy circle and nothing else happens. again, this is only happening with MKV files, and not with mp4.

thanks

ffmpeg-transcode-978d7924-3016-43d0-b1cb-fa53587878d9_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-1a96d953-74b7-455f-b997-87baf0043a95_1.txt

6 hours ago, NaveedAS said:

Hi Luke

please see the attached logs. one more observation: when this happens the emby server seems to be into a semi-hung state - and takes about 5 minutes to recover. the NAS doesnt show any CPU or RAM spikes though so i am assuming all of this is some processes getting stuck up.

@cayars sorry not a premiere member yet. i did download the emby theatre app for windows 10 and it gives an option to play 1 min of any video. so i tried that with similar results, it just keeps showing a busy circle and nothing else happens. again, this is only happening with MKV files, and not with mp4.

thanks

ffmpeg-transcode-978d7924-3016-43d0-b1cb-fa53587878d9_1.txt 13.65 kB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-transcode-1a96d953-74b7-455f-b997-87baf0043a95_1.txt 16.19 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, please attach the main emby server log as well. thanks.

Can't tell if the transcoding quit or not by those logs but your ARMv8 NEON was only transcoding at 6% of the speed needed to transcode files in real time.

We need the main server log for this time frame to have a look at.

Your server log is showing some permission errors which may be related to this.

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (13): Permission denied

Have you moved the location of your transcode folder by any chance?

NaveedAS

Hi,

nope . havent touched those settings at all. the temp folder for transcode path is blank that should default it to a system chosen location (as it says on the settings page)

do you suggest i setup a specific path for it?

NaveedAS

I saw a similar error posted on a Jellyfin forum but with no solutions unfortunately. i only have one emby user and its permissions are read and write everywhere. not sure where i should check socket level permissions or errors.

note: i setup a user defined temp path for the transcoding file but that didnt help as well (although it solved another one of my issues!) 

would enabling debug logging give more insight?

No that should be fine.

Do you know how to SSH into your NAS?

If so can you look to see if all the files/folder under /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

is listed with "emby emby" as the user group ownership?

NaveedAS

Why do i have a feeling this has more to do with the browser's inability to play mkv files off the bat? seeing how mp4 works properly? or would that be a wrong understanding, seeing that emby is trying to transcode the file anyways.

No browsers until recently could play back from mkv containers but Chromium browsers can if setup to do so. While that could help fix the issue the underlying issue is "no streams found".  Regardless if the client can direct play it or not the Server would try to transcode the file into a format it can play. But your log is showing errors so the question is why?

The ffmpeg log shows it trying to transcode starting at about 35% of speed needed dropping quickly which maybe is the cause.

What NAS is this currently running on? If it's a low end NAS it may not be able to transcode. If that's the case it would be best to simply turn off transcoding completely, then make sure files are in a format to direct play.

NaveedAS

Hi. I'm using a synology DS220j with 512mb ram (non expandable) If it is a performance issue from the storage then thats very unfortunate as my mkv collection was one of two main reasons why i got the NAS in the first place (should've checked a bit more around transcoding pitfalls for specific file formats)

Chrome supports mkv but not hevc, so that's why it is transcoding and it looks like your Nas just can't do it quickly enough.

What machine are you using chrome on to play with?

NaveedAS

Hi Luke

the desktop was recently built.

Windows 10 pro; AMD Ryzen 5 3600mhz  6 core; NVIDIA GeForce 1060 6gb ;  16 gig RAM ; 1.5 TB disk space (mostly unoccupied at the moment) 

using Edge as a browser (some forum says it has chromium support) chrome isnt installed.

NaveedAS

I thought of using the desktop as an EMBY server but i dont want to keep it running perpetually. 

only work around is that i use the emby android app on the phone for content viewing.