Certain audio files cause Android app to freeze/crash

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

Server: 4.7.0.19 ... App: 3.2.32

I listen to an old(ish) radio show so I added a "Podcasts" library using the Audiobook option so it'd keep track of my progress on longer shows.  In it, I have full shows, longer compilation tracks, shorter clips, etc.  I seem to get mixed results in this library... some of the files work fine, some of the files are barely playable, if at all, due to the app locking up and/or crashing.  Typically it'll play for a minute or so but the app itself gets incredibly sluggish to scroll around and navigate in... then eventually the app just shuts down.

I get no error messages, nor any opportunities to report the crashes.  I'm not sure what information would be helpful... following the "How to report an Android problem" thread, I do not have a 'logs' folder in /Android/data/com.mb.android/files/ so I have no log to submit.  If the Emby server log would help, I'd be happy to PM it to someone (so I don't expose certain server information publicly).  I could attach the audio file if it helps?  The one I was just trying is pretty small.

I typically report issues with Chromecast, but in this case even just playing on the phone itself isn't working either.

EDIT: I attached one of the audio files that caused the app to crash, if it helps.  I have more examples (though I'd have to test and find them) but maybe just this one is enough.

EDIT 2: Attached a screenshot of the file properties from the app. Is it weird that it's got that Image part?  Maybe that's causing it to mess up? ... I took the image off and replaced the file, still having issues.

Screenshot_20220109-201943.png

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13
12 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, please try the Emby for Android 3.2.34 update and let us know how that compares. Thanks.

Hi, where can I find 3.2.34? Doesn't seem to be available in Google Play Store.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

Hi, where can I find 3.2.34? Doesn't seem to be available in Google Play Store.

It is up there, but currently limited to the play store beta channel.

Dreakon13
1 minute ago, Luke said:

It is up there, but currently limited to the play store beta channel.

You're right, I got it.

Still having the issue unfortunately.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

You're right, I got it.

Still having the issue unfortunately.

What version did you get? What exactly happened?

Dreakon13
Just now, Luke said:

What version did you get? What exactly happened?

Same thing as I said in the OP. Audio file starts to play, the screen gets progressively more sluggish and frozen as I swipe/scroll around, and after a minute or two the app just closes.

Dreakon13

Just wondering, would it be difficult to maybe assess if it's a software issue or a file issue or a setup issue?  Or if you guys are seeing the problem as well at least with the file in the OP?  I don't mind re-making/re-working the MP3's if it's something wrong with them or that I screwed up but for lack of proper logs from the Android app/not necessarily seeing the issue on the server logs... I'm having a hard time narrowing it down.

This is like the last lingering issue I'm having that is unfortunately making me go elsewhere to play the files. 😁  Eager to kick certain other apps to the curb, if you catch my drift.

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Is there any particular time this happens? I just played through this track without any trouble.

Nah, unfortunately it consistently starts to happen for me within the first minute or so, and shortly thereafter freezes up and closes the app.

Was hoping you would be able to recreate but I guess that probably means it's something on my end. I'll keep messing with it, thanks for checking!

Dreakon13

@Luke

EDIT: I think I see the problem... when I play that file and look at the Play Queue, it looks like it's queuing up everything I have.  Even stuff not in that library.

I'm guessing since it's doing that, the sheer volume of it is causing it to slow down and crash.

EDIT 2: I think I fixed it... because some of these files (like the one posted in the OP) had no metadata, it couldn't really categorize it by "album" or anything when I played it.  So it was doing what you see below in the screenshots, and generating a Play Queue with all files and causing it to crash.  Once I filled in the metadata on this file and a few others, playing this file created a very manageable Play Queue with no issues.

Something to note, since the only structure to this "Podcasts" library is the folder structure I have it in (ie. no intentionally laid out metadata)... I use the "Folders" option (screenshot of web app for demonstrative purposes, but same in Android app) to navigate.

image.png.092a2b794a472f73797651ab7a335435.png

I guess when I do that, I would expect the contents of the folder I've navigated to, to fill up the Play Queue... not based on the artist/album metadata?  When the artist/album metadata is missing, is when it seems to get confused and starts filling up the Play Queue with everything.  If nothing else maybe queuing the contents of the folder could just be a fallback if metadata is missing to prevent this issue going forward.

I guess you could say I'm not really using the Audio Book library properly with these radio shows/podcasts... but from what I can tell it's the only way to make it so it saves track progress and lets me resume longer shows.

For posterity, screenshots of the bleed over between my "Podcasts" audio book library and Music.

image.png.ba2de9fe9ef4d2419dbac8fe86627d74.png

Screenshot_20220116-173536.png

Screenshot_20220116-174223.png

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Thanks 1