Emby on WD My Cloud

bondj303

bondj303

Hello,

I am a newbie and mostly a novice.

I have a 4TB WD My Cloud P/N WDBCTL0040HWT-10 that I updated to OS5 (Firmware 5.18.117). I presume it is Gen 2, but wanted to confirm (since it has been a while since I bought it and I have not tinkered with it much). After updating to OS5, I find that my playlists for media (audio as well as video) are missing and I can't seem to make them again directly on WD as before (with OS3). It now only has the Twonky server and the web interface to the Twonky server has very limited capabilities. So I am now looking at a new media server to stream my media (within my home mostly... have a very fragmented system with smart TVs from different vendors like Sony-Google TV, LG & Samsung, 2 rokus, X-box, firestick, wired Yamaha AV receiver, etc). I am looking at PLEX and Emby and am willing to get the premium version if necessary for whatever suits my purposes.

So I would like to know if there is a way to get Emby on My Cloud (for the version I have.... since currently it just allows me to have only Twonky Server). If yes, I assume I have to install it manually and I guess I download the Emby Package for My Cloud Gen 2 from here (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.7.0/emby-server-western_digital_my_cloud_gen2_os5_4.6.7.0_arm.bin) and point to the source of the downloaded file under "Install an app manually" in the web interface/dashboard for My Cloud (OS5).

Please confirm. I would also like to confirm that my assumption that if I have Emby running on My Cloud, I won't have to have Emby running on individual devices (long time back, I had tried Plex on a PC and it asked me run Plex on all the devices like smart TVs, Roku, etc to get my media files on that device through Plex... I am trying to avoid that) and will have the ability to make audio as well as video playlists from my existing media on the cloud and play them on any device in my network (of course the device needs to have the ability to play that type of file within the playlist and not all devices play all the file types I have)..

Thanks and I would also appreciate any other advice/pointers/tips as I customize my WD for OS5.... seems like a lot of hassle after the update.

My_Cloud_Home.JPG

My_Cloud_OS5_Apps.JPG

Hi, you would install Emby Server on the NAS, and then Emby client apps on your devices such as smart TV's, smartphones, etc. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• 11 months later...
jimbards

I have the EX2100 2-bay black version. I go into the Apps section, select "manually install", surf my laptop to the downloaded WD file and select, but nothing happens. 

jimbards

Disregard. There was a firmware update for my EX2100, I updated, and the .BIN for the EX2100 Server worked. I have it configured, it is in Media Discovery right now, will update on ease of use after it is done and I take users off the RasPi it directs thru now, and see how smoothly it operates.

image.thumb.png.cc777fef039c71eba90f0b7c4570018e.pngimage.thumb.png.73af5d6a8e5536b8c175dc7c882720d7.png

Edited by jimbards
  • Thanks 1