Auto Stream quality limits

GoodOleHarold

GoodOleHarold

Hello 

So i was wondering if there is a way to set Streaming Quality to auto but with a minimum and/or maximum? 

If i set a preset quality (for example 1080 - 25mbps. A perfectly reasonable quality) i noticed it wont step up if it can and i am not sure how this would effect Direct play/stream either?

I am asking because i set it to auto and it chooses 720p 1mbps (i did have it once choose 1080p 6mbps **throw myself back in my chair**). I mean, cmon, why bother even working if your going to choose that? - I change it to 1080 25mbps, works flawlessly without a single issue and this is transcoding 4K content to that quality. I can go to 4K 40mbps as well but of course not all things are 4K capable yet so I like to be able to cater for all and i tend to prefer direct play/stream for playing 4K in 4K where possible. Anything above that i can sometimes see issues (again direct play/stream is my cure here). So i would like to be able to say, go with auto but here is your minimum (1080 @ 25) and here is your max (4K @ 40) and use direct stream/play where possible or prefer it over transcoding. 

It feels like Emby server's auto settings are extremely too conservative and when you set it to anything from Auto it wont push higher it is pretty much a hard "this is how i will play everything" limit.  Where is the flexibility?

Running Emby server 4.6.7.0 on Windows Server 2019

General spec - 4 core i7, 16GB

Edited by GrimReaper

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, GoodOleHarold said:

So i was wondering if there is a way to set Streaming Quality to auto but with a minimum and/or maximum? 

There is not. Create a Feature Request topic in the appropriate forum section. 

If i set a preset quality (for example 1080 - 25mbps. A perfectly reasonable quality) i noticed it wont step up if it can and i am not sure how this would effect Direct play/stream either?

Hi, what do you mean exactly by "it won't step up" ? Step up to what exactly?

GoodOleHarold

So when it chooses the quality at the start of streaming, it never increases it whilst streaming 

It'll pick 720 and that's it 

Right currently the choice is made at the start of playback, but we may expand on this and improve it in future updates. thanks.

GoodOleHarold

That would be good

The other part would be good if I could set the minimum and max for it as well so it chooses automatically but within a range I can set 

• Thanks 2