Toggleable option to exclude played items with Shuffle

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

I'm sure this won't be the most popular or sought after feature... but I personally use Shuffle all the time with certain TV shows and episodes playlists and one of my biggest complaints with the nature of formulaic "randomness" is that you frequently see the same handful of episodes come up because there's only so many ways to emulate being truly random.  I typically have to jump ahead 3-5 episodes in the queue to get something I didn't just watch the last few days or weeks, and it requires me to recognize the episode names to do so efficiently.

As such, I propose a server or user-level setting that makes all video-based shuffles exclude items that user has already watched.  It'd guarantee no repeats and being a toggleable setting (probably off by default) it wouldn't really hurt anything... and it'd make me very happy. 😁

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Hi.  In most views, you can filter by unwatched and then shuffle those.  I understand this isn't possible right now in something like a TV series but in other views, it should be.

• Like 1

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  In most views, you can filter by unwatched and then shuffle those.  I understand this isn't possible right now in something like a TV series but in other views, it should be.

You're right, and I can even filter on my favorites (which I basically just use for these "shuffle-able" shows as anything else I'm watching in sequence would be in Continue Watching)... so that could definitely tide me over.

I'll tinker with it more when I get off work.  Thanks for the insight!

EDIT: Ooh, I guess I'd need to favorite the episodes themselves to do that?  And not just the shows?  Does Shuffling the "Shows" view only look at unplayed episodes, or just the entirety of series that happen to have unplayed episodes?

EDIT2: Looks like Shuffling the "Shows" view just picks one of the shows listed and works through that (unsure if its regarding the watched status of individual episodes or the entire series).  So I guess I'd have to Shuffle the "Episodes" view but there doesn't seem to be a way to narrow that down to certain shows at all.  I think I might have some trouble making that work but I appreciate your ideas!

Edited by Dreakon13