Android Client External Player how?

deej1978
Go to solution Solved by deej1978,

deej1978

When I select the option to use External player a pop message appears saying "No Player, it doesn't appear you have a video capable app installed. This option requires you to install a 3rd party app for playing video content." Well I have VLC installed, and MX player. What am I missing here? When I sideload the Android Mobile version of this app then the option to choose VLC is available, but not in the Android TV client. Is this a bug? Same thing happens on Sony TV and two generations of Nvidia Shield. 

Edited by deej1978

FrostByte

Working for me using .61 beta.  The only external player bug I see mentioned being fixed since stable though is

• Fix play next up from series when using external player

deej1978
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Working for me using .61 beta.  The only external player bug I see mentioned being fixed since stable though is

• Fix play next up from series when using external player

Seems to be a VLC issue. I just installed MX player and now it's working as intended, MX player is having issues displaying HDR though, grey bars top and bottom.

FrostByte

Latest VLC is working here as external player, it does seem to take a bit of time to load though (spinning cone) before playback starts

I assume your media is cropped if you're seeing gray bars

Edited by FrostByte

• Solution
deej1978
6 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Latest VLC is working here as external player, it does seem to take a bit of time to load though (spinning cone) before playback starts

I assume your media is cropped if you're seeing gray bars

What was happening is the Androids UI pop up wasn't appearing for me for some unknown reason. Once I installed MX Player the pop up worked and VLC was then there as a choice. Weird. Thanks. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
Julien7645

Hi, I get the same problem on my Android TV with VLC for external player for IPTV

It's work for normal video file but for IPTV part I don't get the popup for choose VLC as external media player...

1 minute ago, Julien7645 said:

Hi, I get the same problem on my Android TV with VLC for external player for IPTV

It's work for normal video file but for IPTV part I don't get the popup for choose VLC as external media player...

Hi, why not use the internal Emby player?

Julien7645

hi,

Because with the internal media player I cannot read IPTV channels...

Sometimes it's works correctly and sometimes like today, the channel freez directly when I launch it

I try many things like reset the app and clear the cache but nothing fixed my problem...

All channels of my IPTV M3U freez directly on my Android TV with Emby TV

On my android phone and on my computer all works perfectly I just get this problem on Emby TV and Android TV...

Edited by Julien7645

Just now, Julien7645 said:

hi,

Because with the internal media player I cannot read IPTV channels...

Sometimes it's works correctly and sometimes like today, the channel freez directly when I launch it

I try many things like reset the app and clear the cache but nothing fixed my problem...

All channels of my IPTV M3U freez directly on my Android TV with Emby TV

On my android phone and on my computer all works perfectly I just get this problem on Emby TV and Android TV...

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Julien7645
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

It doesn't work better, I download Emby for Android on my TV and it still freezing directly when I try to play any channels...

But when I use Emby for Android + VLC as external player all works perfectly

So I think it's a problem that come from the internal player

Edited by Julien7645

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 3:12 PM, Julien7645 said:

It doesn't work better, I download Emby for Android on my TV and it still freezing directly when I try to play any channels...

But when I use Emby for Android + VLC as external player all works perfectly

So I think it's a problem that come from the internal player

@Julien7645 

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!