how to prevent duplicate recordings

justinrh

justinrh

I've got several recorded movie folders that have duplicate recordings, like "movie.ts" and "movie - 1.ts".  One has three recordings from the same month!  Am I scheduling these recordings multiple times or something else going on?  It acts like it is trying to record a TV show series.

Is there a way to make Emby tell me that I already have a particular title so I don't record it again?

This one is mind-boggling:
image.png.4efe9800d49fa96de93ec146854e92b7.png

Edited by justinrh

Am I scheduling these recordings multiple times or something else going on?

There is no way for us to know what happened in August. You may have scheduled it multiple times, or there could have been a problem with the live stream in which it got cut off, then resumed and continued recording.

Is there a way to make Emby tell me that I already have a particular title so I don't record it again?

Not currently, but it's a good idea.

• Thanks 1

Hi, Looking at the date/time of the files it appears there was a problem with the recording.  Emby kept trying and as soon as it was able to, started recording again hence the number behind it.  But that's only a guess as you would need to look in the server log at that date/time span to see what happened.

EODCrafter
On 1/3/2022 at 6:12 PM, justinrh said:

I've got several recorded movie folders that have duplicate recordings, like "movie.ts" and "movie - 1.ts".  One has three recordings from the same month!  Am I scheduling these recordings multiple times or something else going on?  It acts like it is trying to record a TV show series.

This one is mind-boggling:
image.png.4efe9800d49fa96de93ec146854e92b7.png

Just a guess, but only 1 of those files are big enough to be a full movie. your having issues recording, not dupes.

• Like 1

justinrh
On 1/5/2022 at 12:44 AM, EODCrafter said:

your having issues recording, not dupes.

I understand about the file size.  This one is strange because there is a 1.5hour between them, and I doubt that same movie was on twice within an hour of each other.  But there was still going to be a dup if it was able to record!  Why would Emby try again 1.5hour later for 1min?  That is why it is mind-boggling (and really is probably a diff issue than what this post is about).

I am getting duplicates (full movies), just wanted to know possible reasons why.  I'll try to watch for this more often and see what clues I can find.

Edited by justinrh

But there was still going to be a dup if it was able to record!  Why would Emby try again 1.5hour later for 1min?

We'd have to look at an example in order to answer: 

Thanks.

justinrh

I knew I've seen something like this before - in the TV series page.  Could do the same for non-series recordings?  Wouldn't be as elegant as telling the user at time of scheduling, but still helpful.

image.png.ef2b143cbb58b15c5cae8f71a79862da.png

Then people will schedule recordings and nothing will happen, and we'll end up having to troubleshoot why. So at the time of scheduling is the best time.

justinrh

Righto, but same effect with a series, right?  But the difference with movies might more often raise the issue you mentioned.  I agree at time of scheduling is the best time.

• Thanks 1