ASS subtitle doesn't load properly / delay

nodiaque

nodiaque

Hello everyone, 

I have some MKV video with dual audio and multiple subtitle in ASS format. Watching on my LG with emby app, the subtitles doesn't appear before at least 30 sec in. And if I toggle to another language, there's no subs for at least 30sec in. Emby app is on latest version on TV and server. In emby, it says everything is direct play. I tried with emby for android and subs appear immediately. 

Emby server 4.6.7.0.

Emby for lg 1.0.31

Emby is inside a docker on unraid 6.9.2. 

Edited by nodiaque

nodiaque

Ok what I found out. From the log I see it's extracting the subs. If I start the playback and pause for about a minute, subs are there. So there's some kind of processing with the subs happening from the lg apps that doesn't happen either on browser or android

13 hours ago, nodiaque said:

Ok what I found out. From the log I see it's extracting the subs. If I start the playback and pause for about a minute, subs are there. So there's some kind of processing with the subs happening from the lg apps that doesn't happen either on browser or android

Android doesn't have to use extraction in most cases because the player supports more formats.

You can disable on the fly extraction altogether and have the server just burn in the subtitles with server transcoding, assuming your server can handle that. This can be done in server transcoding settings. Using external subtitles will be the most efficient option though.

nodiaque

I'll try that. I'm pretty sure a Xeon gold w-2275 with 128gb ram and a p4000 can handle this little transcoding. 

But I think on the server side, when there's extraction on the fly, there should be a play delay like she  there's audio or video transcoding until there's a small buffer. 

You can't make playback wait for the extraction because on many users servers it can take a long time. 

nodiaque

An option for it then for those that which to wait for it? Honestly, I prefer waiting 30 sec for the extraction to have buffer then watching 3 minutes of foreign and not understanding. The problem occur even when seeking forward or backward since its on the fly. 

It's not that simple because you can also change subtitles during playback, and that could trigger extractions as well.

nodiaque

I do understand that, and I do also. But much like audio track can be switched and trigger transcoding, while there's a transcoding, users are waiting. Honestly, I don't get why waiting for video and audio transcoding is ok but not subs (which require way less power) 

Because waiting for those things doesn't require a complete processing of the file up front. In other words, you can start playing right away as small portions are available. Subtitle extraction has to go over the entire file in order to perform the extraction, and for some this can take a long time.

nodiaque

I though subtitle extraction was on the fly, meaning while it play. Why does it have to redo the extraction each time I seek then? Once it's done, shouldn't it be available for the whole duration until I stop playback?

nodiaque

Well, somethings not right because everytime I seek, there's another 30sec delay before the subs appear like at playback. 

If the extraction completed, then it could just be slow performance of the ass subtitle renderer in the LG app. These TV's don't have a lot of horsepower. I know the developers of the library we're using have been doing a lot of work in this area recently so that's a good sign for future updates.