SHIELD Experience Upgrade 9.0.0 and Emby for Kodi Next Gen

L3Nerd
Go to solution Solved by red_,

Hi,

I just upraded my SHIELD TV Pro 2019 to the latest update (the recovery images for the latest build with Android TV 11, that vanished from the nvidia download page).

Now I can't get Kodi 19.3 with Emby for Kodi 6.1.9 to work.
Sync is ok, but as soon as I want to start a video, there is the kodi spinning wheel and then a black screen.
When I enable frame rate matching via kodi and hit back I get to the main menu to get logs, but can't get back to the black screen and have to kill the app.

My first guess is: Is there more security in place with Android TV 11, and the add-on doesn't mind it?
I attached the kodi logs, on the emby-server side the Dashboard shows Direct Playing correctly, but loops the progress time (ie. 00:00 => 00:01 => 00:02 => 00:00 => ...)

Any other client can play from that emby server, so wether it's a "bug" due to the new Android version or a misconfiguration, could someone please help me?

kodi.log

Yep, it's with all videos from emby. Local or nfs videos can play without problem.

Sometimes I see the first second and hear about 2-3 seconds of the video, after that it doesn't proceed and kodi stalls.
In this state I can only see the progress bar on top in kodi, but not the controlls on the bottom.

Edited by L3Nerd

@quickmic

Didn't worked 😞

I also had to clear Kodis data via Android and start over, because after un-installing and re-installing the add-on no categories to sync where shown, after the initial emby login.
With a clean kodi it worked, but no video playback and now I can't even get back to the menu to get logs. (I have no idea to get to the kodi logs on SHIELD)

The initial sync on the other hand was never faster, great work here! 

• Like 1

quickmic

Also I see, you tried to play a h265 video. Please try h264.

Do you play content via LAN or Internet? You can also try transcoding feature as a test.

4 hours ago, quickmic said:

Also I see, you tried to play a h265 video. Please try h264.

Do you play content via LAN or Internet? You can also try transcoding feature as a test.

I now was playing a h265 video, that was transcoded by emby to h264 (via the addon-setting) => That worked!

6 hours ago, quickmic said:

Well I need a log for review. There is a kodi plugin available https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Kodi_Logfile_Uploader

I need kodi.log and probably kodi.old.log.

The attached log is playing a h264 video via direct play => same bug as before.

I'm streaming over the internet. With the emby App on the SHIELD (same device) the h264 movie is playing correctly also via direct play.

l3nerd-030122-kodi.log

• Like 1

quickmic
7 hours ago, L3Nerd said:

I now was playing a h265 video, that was transcoded by emby to h264 (via the addon-setting) => That worked!

The attached log is playing a h264 video via direct play => same bug as before.

I'm streaming over the internet. With the emby App on the SHIELD (same device) the h264 movie is playing correctly also via direct play.

l3nerd-030122-kodi.log 54.93 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks, I still cannot see any issue beside it's not playing. Please send me another log in debug mode. Enable Kodi's (global) debug mode and send it to me the log via PM! Don't drop it here, debug logs includes confidential data.

Also maybe there is something blocking in Android? Please assign Kodi app all privileges in Android system control.

I also assume you use https. Is the certificates chain valid? This could be also the cause of the issue.

Unfortunately, that's not an easy issue to tackle 😑

I also assume you use https. Is the certificates chain valid? This could be also the cause of the issue.

Yeah, they are valid. Until last week the plugin (beta) worked on the exact same setup. I only updated and factory reset the SHIELD.

Also maybe there is something blocking in Android? Please assign Kodi app all privileges in Android system control.

It asks only for local storage permissions, nothing else to check in Android system control.

quickmic

Update for other users:

Seems to be a Nvidia shield issue. After debug log review, a PM session with @L3Nerd and some additional tests, currently no solution 🥴

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed 6.2.6.

Playing movies and series works again. But skipping/seeking through them and stopping/going back still causes Kodi to hang.

Will try transcoding after lunch, but prefer to not enable that for day to day usage.

Transcoding helps! 

Not for playing trailers though. Playing trailers via the Kodi interface (trailers stores in the same location as the movie with -trailer.ext) still causes Kodi to crash.

Edited by red_

quickmic
1 hour ago, red_ said:

Transcoding helps! 

Not for playing trailers though. Playing trailers via the Kodi interface (trailers stores in the same location as the movie with -trailer.ext) still causes Kodi to crash.

External trailers (Internet URL streams) are surly not transcoded, I assume also internal/local are not transcoded. I've to check that, currently you have to live with that/disable trailers in plugin config menu. Probably I can improve something in the next versions...

Edited by quickmic

Yes indeed, it looks like "local" trailers aren't transcoded. 

Could you maybe share some details about why we experience this behaviour since Android 11? Why can Kodi + emby-next-gen only play transcoded videos and not direct play/original files anymore?

quickmic

I have no Shield or Android box beside my cellphone.

I assume you are playing content via internet and not via lan?

True. The Emby server isn't located in my network so the emby-next-gen plugin is configured to connect over https. 

If you want we can schedule some time to do a short debugging session? I assume there are more people using Emby + Kodi + Shield, so hopefully we can help them (and me) out!

quickmic
29 minutes ago, red_ said:

True. The Emby server isn't located in my network so the emby-next-gen plugin is configured to connect over https. 

If you want we can schedule some time to do a short debugging session? I assume there are more people using Emby + Kodi + Shield, so hopefully we can help them (and me) out!

Well, as you confirmed you are playing via internet it's most likely a "regular" bandwidth issue and quite natural.

It seems all reported "Kodi suddenly crashes" or "Kodi only plays a couple of seconds" issues are related to bandwidth limitations.

Seems Kodi doesn't report network speed limits with a "buffering" or a "network is too slow" msg like in the past and just crashes.

Maybe I'm wrong, but any user who reported similar issues accesses the Emby server via internet (bandwidth limitations).

So there is nothing to debug here. It's just logical, you cannot stream a content which has, e.g. 10mbps video bandwidth through a (Emby server) UPLINK with just e.g. 5mbit.

Extensive buffering would be required (Kodi settings) or transcoding.

Let me know if, you have a different case. Does Shield limit the app bandwidth in some other way?

Edited by quickmic

I don't think I really get your point here. 

Let me try to explain it from my point of view. 

Let's assume there aren't any limitations. Not in my network and not in the severs network. Both have a 500/500 connection. Next to that it all worked before. Playing 10mbps files, but also 25mbps files or even higher. It also still seems to work over samba (local) of sftp/SSH (external, same host as Emby server).

So what changed since the last Android 11 update on Shield which causes the malfunction of external https video's via emby-next-gen?

Also, I've disabled the video transcoding option on server side. So if Kodi thinks it get transcoded content when putting the network settings to a minimum, it just receives the original video + audio file. Emby server just made some .ts files from the transcoding folder instead of serving the original mp4/mkv. But the content of those files is exactly the same!

I don't get it :(

quickmic

Ok, so let's rule out a bandwidth issue. What happens if the plugin requests a transcoded stream:

(For the moment) I skip...

disabled the video transcoding option on server side

... Not familiar how you did that, and what Emby server does if so.

Basic transcoding function:

Plugin requested transcoded content from Emby server in a specific format. (depends on your plugin settings). e.g. h264 and aac and 5mbit

Emby server transcodes the stream due to specifications.

If transcode is disabled, Emby server streams the content as it is (native).

example (making things up here for illustration):

Native content h265 with mp3 and Kodi crashes, 3 possible reasons (beside Kodi bug, Shield bug and Android bug):

h265 not supported

h265 (profile) not supported

mp3 not supported

bandwidth too low.

As transcode works for your content but not native, could be a format issue.

I rule out a https issue. Some users reported also issues with ssl, but they are usually piped through a proxy and if neither (transcode or native stream) would work.

Probably it's really related to the .ts (transport stream) format? Can you confirm that Kodi only crashes for ts content (or vice versa)?

Edited by quickmic