Library Update Easy Access

breezytm
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

breezytm

@@ebr

Can you add an easier access to update the library in MB?. Going to settings is kind of too far. Perhaps add it to the top menu that is always accessible through all the views.

Thanks,

No because the normal user should never have to do it so I don't want to waste the space and lead them to believe they do.

The server updates within seconds of adding something and then notifies MBC which will also update automatically.  If you are having trouble with this then we need to chase down why.

breezytm

Well there is problem somewhere and I don't know where it is. Speaking for myself, when I am using MBC, if a new item is added to a folder let's say tv shows. I have to manually navigate to config and select the update library button for it to add the new content to my library. Also the only way I noticed new item gets added to the server is when the 'scan media library' schedule runs. For me it's at 'on application startup, on wake from sleep, every 6 hours, daily at 10:00 pm, daily at 11:00 pm, daily at 12:00 am, daily at 1:00 am'. Right now it is 8:12 PM EST. If a new item is added to my tv shows folder, I will not see it in MBC until 10:00 PM. I don't use any other clients but MBC.

breezytm

MBC does not update inside of folders (TV, Movies, etc). It does update the EHS. So, when a new tv episode or movie comes in, i either have to refresh manually, or exit and reenter MBC. or go to the EHS and choose it via recent items. It also does not update deletions.

One quick way to refresh that i have found, is to highlight the folder i want and hit the RECORD button on my remote which refreshes just that folder. But it would be nice if they just refreshed automatically. Using Chocolate theme.

I didn't know about the record button trick. Thanks for sharing. And I am glad to know am not the only one :D

Can you clarify that the new item always gets added to the server just not MBC. I honestly can't tell. I was under the impression MBC shows whatever the server has. If it isn't in MBC then it must not be on the server. <_<

no you should check that for yourself on your own setup. the realtime monitor that the server uses will not work on every file system, but it does work on many. so knowing where the problem is gives us more information to start on.

TheCaptain

MBC does not update inside of folders (TV, Movies, etc). It does update the EHS. So, when a new tv episode or movie comes in, i either have to refresh manually, or exit and reenter MBC. or go to the EHS and choose it via recent items. It also does not update deletions.

One quick way to refresh that i have found, is to highlight the folder i want and hit the RECORD button on my remote which refreshes just that folder. But it would be nice if they just refreshed automatically. Using Chocolate theme.

breezytm

@@Luke Under Library > Advanced I see 'enable real time monitoring' and I've always had it enable. My file system on my nas is ext4. As @@TheCaptain suggested, it could be an issue with MBC. The item gets added to the server but MBC doesn't do an interval library refresh or doesn't get a notification from the server to update the library. I am not sure what it is. But I can confirm that items doesn't get added without a manual refresh or during media scan library task. Like @@TheCaptain I used to exit MBC to update the library until I found there was an option in config to do so. Since that's what I have been doing. It's annoying but it works for me. Simply does not for my girlfriend, niece and nephew.

• Solution

This is actually a very tricky situation.  I've tried lots of logic paths here and am trying to strike a delicate balance between keeping information current, keeping a consistent user experience and performance.  Since MBC does not operate like a web or mobile app where each navigation essentially brings back a fresh list from the server we have to take a different approach to keeping information current.

Some of you may remember the old MB 2 days where, at times, the screen would start flashing and you'd get sent back to the top of whatever list you were viewing.  This is a side effect of trying to react to too many changes too quickly.

In any case, I think I can improve what we have now slightly by making it necessary only to go back to the EHS, instead of all the way out of MBC to see additions and removals.  So that will be in the next build.

• Like 2

So pretty much 'return to EHS' will pull changes from the server? I just want to be clear.

Actually, the changes are pulled at the time we are notified of them.  You just won't see them in the item you currently are sitting in until you move out of it.

For you, if your server isn't seeing the changes then this isn't going to help either.  You'll have to continue to use the record button which will both force the server to scan and update MBC.

• Like 1

Well as far as those other tools, I have given Sickbeard and NzbDrone everything they need to send us a notification when they add new content. They have both pledged to add the features to their apps, but it hasn't made it into a release yet. So maybe posting a message in their forum will help speed it up.

• Like 1

breezytm

This is actually a very tricky situation.  I've tried lots of logic paths here and am trying to strike a delicate balance between keeping information current, keeping a consistent user experience and performance.  Since MBC does not operate like a web or mobile app where each navigation essentially brings back a fresh list from the server we have to take a different approach to keeping information current.

Some of you may remember the old MB 2 days where, at times, the screen would start flashing and you'd get sent back to the top of whatever list you were viewing.  This is a side effect of trying to react to too many changes too quickly.

In any case, I think I can improve what we have now slightly by making it necessary only to go back to the EHS, instead of all the way out of MBC to see additions and removals.  So that will be in the next build.

How about my initial request but instead of making the button static it can be optional. As a user I can choose to add it to the menu. I know you are worried about not wanting to waste the space and also lead normal users to believe they need to do manual refresh. I also understand the EHS part may remedy some of the issues but not fully. If I add some movies from 2011, they would not appear in my default EHS view because they are not literally 'recent'.

How about my initial request but instead of making the button static it can be optional. As a user I can choose to add it to the menu. I know you are worried about not wanting to waste the space and also lead normal users to believe they need to do manual refresh. I also understand the EHS part may remedy some of the issues but not fully. If I add some movies from 2011, they would not appear in my default EHS view because they are not literally 'recent'.

First, recent refers to when you add them to your file system, not when they were made so, yes, they would appear on the recent lists.

However, when I say returning to the EHS, I don't just mean the recent lists will update - that already works now.  What I mean is, if you add a movie while sitting in your movies folder, if you just back up to the EHS and re-enter your movies folder, the new movie will be there.

This, of course, all assumes your server is keeping up to date with changes which, it sounds like yours isn't but the 'record' button should get you what you want there.

breezytm

So pretty much 'return to EHS' will pull changes from the server? I just want to be clear.

And yes I've been using the record button since yesterday. Seems to do the trick. 

breezytm

@@ebr I will work on the server this weekend and see what's causing the real time monitoring to fail. If it is actually failing. I'll report back. Thanks for the server client update btw. 

@@Luke, I have already done that. I got a reply back from basilfx from headphones asking 'if there is a reference to an API'.

here's the link to the github https://github.com/rembo10/headphones/issues/1888#issuecomment-55863299

TheCaptain

Thanks for the explanation and I think your solution is the best option considering the circumstances. Thanks!

• Like 1