Music artist descriptions incomplete in Media Centre

im85288

im85288

I'm afraid I have stopped support for this app here and deleted the original thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Exactly the sleazebag response I expected.  If you are going to rip people off with buggy apps that you sell and then refuse to support then you should be barred from the Media Browser community.

Cheers.

A lot of my music artist descriptions are incomplete in Media Centre.  Here is one example:

In Media Centre this is the description for Betty and the Werewolves: "A London, UK based female fronted indie-pop band, with <a..."

This is the description in Media Browser: "A London, UK based female fronted indie-pop band, with Laura McMahon (voice & guitar), Helen Short (bass, voice & keyboards), Emily Bennet (guitar & voice) & Doug McFarlane (drums). Formed in 2007, they are three girls & one boy (from London & Cambridge). They take their inspiration from classic romantic literature & old “Look-In” annuals. Whooping & howling through the night as their sweetly sung melodies collide with glitter-struck punk guitars. Read more about Betty and The Werewolves on Last.fm. User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL."

I have many, many artists where the same thing is going on--Media Centre seems to process text formatting in a different way than Media Browser.  Is there a way to fix this?

Joe Smart 

Invoice date: 04/07/14.  Account Number: 23134210.  Invoice Number: 231544136.  Invoice total: 3.99.  Item name: MediaBrowser Plus Plus.  Developer: im85288.

Is there any chance that the grid interface from Media Centre will be offered in the official app?

im85288

Actually on second thoughts, take it up with roku for any refunds as they deal with those sort of things.

This is the last I will respond on the matter.

Cheers.

Media Browser Plus Plus which was a pay Roku channel turned into Media Centre, which eventually was free.  Both were flashy but perpetually buggy, although the developer steadfastly refused to accept any responsibility for that.  If you complained about problems using his app he would either try to get remote access to your computer because there was no other way to diagnose the problem or claim that the problem was with your files rather than his app, even though the files would play fine in every version of Media Browser but his.

This developer promised me a refund when I provided transaction info then reneged on that promise as soon as I provided the requested information.

Do the people at Media Browser accept no responsibility whatsoever for the actions of their developers?

I think all he's saying is that the transaction occurred within the roku store and so that is the best place to request a refund.

He did not renege he simply told you which route to take to make it happen.  These types of apps are sold through 3rd party (actually, 4th party) stores so refunds have to be run back through them as well.  I am not familiar with how the Roku store operates but that would be the avenue to pursue.

As for this - not necessarily related to this particular instance, but in general:

Do the people at Media Browser accept no responsibility whatsoever for the actions of their developers?

No, we cannot accept responsibility for the actions of independent developers.  We are developing a free and open-source environment that any developer who wishes can build an app for.  We attempt to provide as much support and guidance as humanly possible to those devs to be sure their app meets certain standards and is functional with the system but, in the end, we have absolutely zero "control" over what an independent developer does.

One thing we have been trying to do, however, is be sure the nomenclature of apps is indicative of the level of support the core team can provide for it - which is why you saw name changes in this app.  Anything that starts with the "Media Browser" name means that it is something the core developers have a great deal of involvement with and will do their absolute best to ensure quality and availability of features.  Other apps are directed to be called something like "xxxx for Media Browser" and that indicates that it is something that the core developers have no access to the source code for and very little control over its functionality or development.

We strive for all apps available for the Media Browser platform to be top-notch.

• Like 1

Media Browser Plus Plus which was a pay Roku channel turned into Media Centre, which eventually was free.  Both were flashy but perpetually buggy, although the developer steadfastly refused to accept any responsibility for that.  If you complained about problems using his app he would either try to get remote access to your computer because there was no other way to diagnose the problem or claim that the problem was with your files rather than his app, even though the files would play fine in every version of Media Browser but his.

This developer promised me a refund when I provided transaction info then reneged on that promise as soon as I provided the requested information.

Wow. Can I just say, I've never had anything but sterling support from Ian. I always got a reply, and always in a timely fashion.

It does raise the question though - if you pay a couple of quid for an app (not just this one) how long do you think you should be entitled to updates and support for? 6 months? A year? A lifetime?

Any app or plugin written by one individual runs the risk of the dev getting run over by a bus or just simply losing the desire to continue developing the app. Personally I think that's fine - it's not like I spent my kids inheritance on the plugins.

• Like 4

I take it as it is. He isn't going to respond mate. The reasons for such behavior can be speculated and motives as well. But giving due respect to his opinion which everyone is entitled to means you have to deal with him on his terms. He removed himself it seems from the situation by his statements. This does seem rash and fool hardy attitude for a developer to take over a 3.99 refund. But without his input you are left with the only outcome for you ending in a refund being the method he described. He didn't offer apology or any sincerity but some people have reasons to be this way. There is no need to highlight on the fact he took the wrong road. It's clear he did. If you feel cheated that is natural and the reaction of anger is most appropriate. No apology was necessary from you either, but was proper closure. Hopefully you get this solved.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

"Actually on second thoughts, take it up with roku for any refunds as they deal with those sort of things.

This is the last I will respond on the matter.

Cheers."

Actually I guess if I am the only person who finds this response rude then there must be something with me so I wholeheartedly apologize for wasting everyone's time.