Remember multiples users, Switch User - Client Behaviour

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

A suggestion from having spent holidays at my Mums, doing more remote access on tvs around less tech savvy users.

Clients already remember the last user logon in perpetuity (until the user signs out), could the Emby clients remember more than just one user logon? And provide a UI to switch between remembered accounts?

So if i want to logon as myself for the holidays (or evening)  on a device which is currently logged on as 'mum', i can easily revert the default user back to 'mum' when i have finished.

From the 1st or subsequent users perspective, they are not giving any more away than what what they have already (they can always sign out). Less clicks to get to your watched history and back again would be nice. re-entering a complex password on a TV is a PIA.

As an aside (not the core of this fr), i wonder if the 'sign out' function should be limited to users profile menu, and not be so prominent on the client exit screen (especially on tvs)...ie when clicking 'back/exit on remote.

thanks for considering.

• Agree 2

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

Clients already remember the last user logon in perpetuity (until the user signs out)

Which clients? As some have different options and that is not necessarily true. 

ginjaninja
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

Which clients? As some have different options and that is not necessarily true. 

i was recollecting experience with Android, Android TV, Samsung Tizen, Roku, Fire Stick...i guess it may be true what they say about assume ing 🙂

GrimReaper

Andriod TV and Fire TV have startup behaviour setting: Show Login screen, Login as certain user or Remember last user, as well as easy User switching on Home Screen. 

Android app has easy Change User option as well on all screens. 

Don't use Tizen or Roku, but I would assume there are options similar to Android TV, @FrostByte?

Just trying to wrap my head around your request, as in what other option you would like to be available? 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

ginjaninja

i see on the fire tv its easy to switch users but previous users have to reenter password.

so the bits that missing is remembering (complex) password for more than 1 user.

fire tv exit screen  is nice as my 80 yr old mum cant eaily sign out or change server or some such from the fire tv's exit screen.

While I understand the desire for this request, implementing it is likely to create behavior that most users will not like and won't realize is going to happen.  And presenting them with options for it would become confusing and probably not be understood until after someone discovered it wasn't behaving like they wanted.

Take your example of you visiting your parent's and logging in there.  When you leave you log back in as your mom and go home.  Now your mom (or anyone that happens to use her device) can re login as you either accidentally or on purpose and there's nothing you can do about it save you trying to walk your mom through switching to you and  manually signing out.

Your mom could switch to you accidentally and discover this new, cool, delete option that wasn't there before and start deleting all the media she watches when she's finished with it :D.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Andriod TV and Fire TV have startup behaviour setting: Show Login screen, Login as certain user or Remember last user, as well as easy User switching on Home Screen. 

Android app has easy Change User option as well on all screens. 

Don't use Tizen or Roku, but I would assume there are options similar to Android TV, @FrostByte?

Just trying to wrap my head around your request, as in what other option you would like to be available? 

Tizen has a remember last user, but you can only get at it when initially connecting to a server.  There is no convenient option in settings like there is in ATV.

• Thanks 1

ginjaninja
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

While I understand the desire for this request, implementing it is likely to create behavior that most users will not like and won't realize is going to happen.  And presenting them with options for it would become confusing and probably not be understood until after someone discovered it wasn't behaving like they wanted.

Take your example of you visiting your parent's and logging in there.  When you leave you log back in as your mom and go home.  Now your mom (or anyone that happens to use her device) can re login as you either accidentally or on purpose and there's nothing you can do about it save you trying to walk your mom through switching to you and  manually signing out.

Your mom could switch to you accidentally and discover this new, cool, delete option that wasn't there before and start deleting all the media she watches when she's finished with it :D.

users with elevated permissions (or lack of trust of family members) might well need to remember to sign out as you suggest ..but they do already have this responsibility in the current design. albeit increased remembering would increase the risk of one user using anothers identity.

IMO on a trusted device used by trusted users i think the biggest risk is not noticing you are logged on as another user and mucking up their watch history...a launch screen ala youtube would help with that.

the youtube app on roku, remembers the last few users who have logged on, presents the operator with a list of most recent logons (most recent is default)..remembers the password for users who did not actively sign out. This helps the operator easily identify as the correct user.

Spoiler

A warning on the logon page that your logon may (subject to settings) be remembered until you sign out is possibly an improvement for the current design in any case.

From a different angle.....could this option be extended for remote networks (it provides the requested functionality already on the local network)

image.png.892f96ae9903c6720aee17e3d41a306e.png

with something like such an option as "Dont require a password on the local network or on Trusted devices".

Whereby an admin could logon to the [updated] client and mark it as trusted (give the client a unique token), so that updated clients could authenticate users via this new channel. Then a user option might not even be required?