OS recommendation

jasotastic

jasotastic

I just added some new HDDs to my Windows 8.1 setup (I had three, and I added two more). Apparently, Windows did not like that. Now, I have five HDDs, no combination of which can be used to boot to Windows. (Can't even repair with a disc.) So, I'm going to scrap that whole thing (except the 1TB drive that actually had everything on it) and start over.

My question for those of you who have setup multiple versions of MB on different OSes is, "Which OS would you recommend?"

I originally used Windows 7. I liked that I could set everything to startup on its own so that when my weekly auto restart kicked in, I would know that if I woke up in the morning, I would see the media center ready to go when I turned on my TV.

Then I tried Windows 8. I was able to do most of what I wanted, but the Modern UI version of MB can't be added to startup (at least that I was able to do). And my copy of Windows 8 doesn't include MC.

I'm somewhat familiar with Linux (though it's been a while), and my attempt at setting up Mythbuntu for my HTPC didn't work out well.

I don't know that I have a preference. I'm just wondering if there's stuff I'm missing out on by choosing one over the other because I'm more familiar with it. Any thoughts?

I personally use windows 7 for all my machines. Have a hp n54l microserver running 7 with all the unnecessary features stripped out. I have 4 2tb drives in there with all my media an this is on 24 hours. Have my main 'gaming' pc which i use as a test bed for dev versions etc. also running 7 and the HTPC itself also running 7 with MBT. Chose windows 7 for a number of reasons. I know it well, i had the licenses already, plenty of software options and i still use media center master which is windows only. Works perfectly and is pretty much fully automated so requires very little input from me.

shaefurr

I have a dual boot of both Windows 7 and 8.1. Honestly I never use 7 anymore as 8.1 does everything 7 does and its faster.

I haven't used Linux in forever so cant place any comments on what features you would or wouldn't have with it.

Windows side I would just stick with 8.1, though MB performs the same on both 7 and 8.

xXSagaiaXx

I use 8.1 as my daily driver but for htpc I would use 7. There's a lot more compatible programs to work with 7's wmc plus u don't have to pay extra for wmc. My server uses 7, my cousins trying to convince me to switch to 8 but I don't want to spend the time setting everything up again. I'll probably switch to 8.1 completely when mbt is polished and I get rid of wmc.

S.

AdrianW

If you've got 8.1 pro, then Media Center is only a $10 add-on. Definitely worth it for MCE which has a *much* higher WAF than MBT does (at least currently).

If you've got 8.1 pro, then Media Center is only a $10 add-on. Definitely worth it for MCE which has a *much* higher WAF than MBT does (at least currently).

$10 for software with no future vs $0 for software that is still being developed:\
  • Like 1

AdrianW

$10 for software with no future vs $0 for software that is still being developed:\

Even if I eventually end up using MBT, I'll have had much more than $10 worth of value out of MBC.

MBT is no where near as polished as MBC yet, there's just too many missing UI features.

Even if I eventually end up using MBT, I'll have had much more than $10 worth of value out of MBC.

MBT is no where near as polished as MBC yet, there's just too many missing UI features.

I would say that XBMC with the media browser add on (free and available on almost anything) is just as polished... But I don't want to get into that argument again;)

breezytm

I don't have any problems with window 7, free windows media center and media browser classic. MBC in my opinion is a must use client if you are using WMC for live tv. Again, that's just my opinion. Never have to close windows media center means no calls from the wife saying the remote lost windows focus. You can even run WMC in shell mode.

I would of went to windows 8 but microsoft didn't give desktop apps like netflix and hulu mce remote control navigation support. At least last time i used them.