Forbidden access to Emby (blank screen) from my synology DS920+

Embyluccon

Embyluccon

Dear Emby support,

I have two problems to access Emby after I accessed my Synology 920+ via DNS.

I have the DNS service of Synology installed and enabled on my DS920

The model of my router AT HOME is: TP-link Archer AX50

FIRST PROBLEM AT HOME

This is what I did at home (where the tp-link router is) USING THE DNS ADDRESS

I Tried accessing Emby from both my Desktop that is connected by a wire to the TP-Link router 

and  from my laptop that is wireless connected to the same router and network group

When I type in my Chrome browser the address as made with the DNS of Synology:

https://www.lucazi.synology.me:5001/ 

the browser response goes to:   

http://www.lucazi.synology.me:8096/web/index.html  and I get into my DS920+

But when I thereafter try to go to Emby by clicking on the Emby icon  I get blank white screen with a forbidden message.

SO I CAN NOT GET INTO EMBY by this route

I then tried an alternative route to get into my DS920 and then to Emby by  not using the DNS address but instead

the QUICK CONNECT SERVICE OF SYNOLOGY

I did this both arom my Desktop and my laptop that is wireless connected to the same network group as my DS920

I approached my DS920+ with two possible access entries in my chrome browser

Firstly with

http://QuickConnect.to/LucasQCDS920

and secondly with:

https://192-168-0-113.lucasqcds920.direct.quickconnect.to:5001/#/signin

in both approaches the browser goes to

https://192-168-0-113.lucasqcds920.direct.quickconnect.to:5001/

and after giving in my password for my DS920+  I got in the DS920 screen

The browser gets to the desktop screen of my DS920 on this address:

https://192-168-0-113.lucasqcds920.direct.quickconnect.to:5001/

So I got in my DS920

And when I then click the Emby icon I can get into Emby on this page  (however it gives a caution: not secure)

http://192-168-0-113.lucasqcds920.direct.quickconnect.to:8096/web/index.html#!/startup/login.html?serverId=7a63438db5004bfca472452a60ee4402

Is there anyone who has a solution so that I can approach Emby in my DS920+ by just using my DNS address www.lucazi.synology.me directly to connect instead of being forced to using the QuickConnect

SECOND PROBLEM AT WORK

The second access problem I experienced was 

AT WORK WITH AN OFFICE ROUTER (I don't know the type)

When I try to access from my Laptop that is wireless connected to the router AT THE OFFICE

by typing in my chrome browser the DNS address:

https://www.lucazi.synology.me:5001/ 

I get a response with an error message and and just a white screen

Even the access to the DS920 is denied and so it is impossible to approach Emby or anything else at all.

When using at my workplace the Quick Connect from Synology to approach my DS920+ 

by typing in my Chrome browser

https://192-168-0-113.lucasqcds920.direct.quickconnect.to:5001/#/signin

I get a response and can access to my DS920+

But when I then click the Emby Icon in my DS920 Desktop I get a response of a pop up message saying:

‘the service is not reachable when using the QuickConnect inlog’

So access to Emby  is denied 

I hope this give the right information to address the problem.

Is there anyone who has a solution so that I can approach Emby in my DS920 at work while using another router than the one that my DS920+ is directly connected to or a solution that the access to Emby is granted using Quick Connect for the first access to my DS920?

I have a pdf with screenshots attached

Thanks Lucas

20211228 Emby accessproblems screenshots.pdf

Embyluccon

Dear Emby support,

In working on the problem I meniotned above I tried several other approaches 

using seperately Quickconnect and the DNS name address

First I tried approaching Emby from the Synology Desktop Emby icon

Secondly I tried approaching Emby from the Synology package centre Emby icon.

But ACCESSING WITH HTTPS://WWW.LUCAZI.SYNOLOGY.ME:5001/    DOES NOT FUNCTION either way

It seems that something has been changed in the link that has been generated by the Synology inlog(?)

before the start of the Emby package

or something has been changed by the Emby package itself(?)  when using the DNS address name

This seems very weird to me. Does anyone understand what is happening here and have a suggestion how to solve this?

Thanks Lucas

I have send hereby the screenshots from my attempts.

20211228 EmbySynology comparison inlog route.pdf

Happy2Play

Have you enabled Remote access on Dashboard-Network?

Have you configured additional settings on Network page?

Embyluccon

Hi Happy2play.

Thanks for responding.

In the External Access menu of the Synology configuration menu

In the quick connect sub menu I ticked all the boxes

In the DDNS sub menu I made the lucazi.synology.me address linked tot the external IP address of my router.

In the Network menu of the Synology configuration menu

I don't see a remote access box or menu

In the security menu of the Synology configuration menu

I don't see a remote access box or menu

In the inlog Portal  menu of the Synology configuration menu

under advanced   I defined a reverse proxy  for the DSM access from outside my own LAN network 

Can you point me out where I have to look further for the remote access menu.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Lucas

Happy2Play
43 minutes ago, Embyluccon said:

But ACCESSING WITH HTTPS://WWW.LUCAZI.SYNOLOGY.ME:5001/    DOES NOT FUNCTION either way

This is accessible when I open that link.  I am guessing your Synology login.

But I get Forbidden on port 8096 and port 8920 does not appear to be open.

Forbidden normally means something is configured incorrectly.  I don't know Synology but can you screenshot your Emby Network settings page.

You cannot use Synology Quick connect to connect to Emby, or the Synology DDNS. You have to either use the internal/external IP (local/remote access) or use a DDNS service like no-ip for remote access. For remote access you need to open the correct ports on your router

Edited by kaj
  • Like 1

Happy2Play
18 minutes ago, kaj said:

You cannot use Synology Quick connect to connect to Emby, or the Synology DDNS. 

Why not?  The Synology DDNS port 8096 is the same as WANIP port 8096.  If Synology is providing it for you, you can use it for Emby.

No different than me using my custom SSL WHS2011 or Server 2016 remoteweb access cert for Emby.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play
18 minutes ago, Embyluccon said:

Thanks for your answers

In the attached  pdf I sent you the screenshots of my settings in Emby

and my settings in Synology  (Network, router, external access.)

Kind regards

Lucas

4.51 MB · 

Per your image you have disable Remote access on Emby Network page.  So all remote connections to Emby is Forbidden.  

image.png.7bb71087982fca880124947146ad32e5.png

So you have to enable on their and per user, then the dashboard should show Remote Access info.  There may be other options to enable like "Secure connection mode:"  

Happy2Play

Also pretty sure you need to create separate rule for port 8096 and 8920, not one combine rule.

2 hours ago, kaj said:

You cannot use Synology Quick connect to connect to Emby, or the Synology DDNS. You have to either use the internal/external IP (local/remote access) or use a DDNS service like no-ip for remote access. For remote access you need to open the correct ports on your router

@Happy2Play, Synology can be a handful to route through depending on the ports used and other user settings and apps installed.
  Synology runs it's own reverse proxy (nginx) which can "absorb" anything not configured to be routed and will redirect it to port 5000 which is the DSM interface.  If local you'll get DSM redirect which helps in figuring it out.  If remote you won't get a response normally (depends on config).

Sometimes helping people remotely it's a cake walk to get remote working and is a few clicks and 2 minute job.  Other times it can end being a 40 minute chase the packet down routine to see what/where is the issue. ie, ISP, router, Emby, VPN, Synology Firewall or Synology apps (SAS, 1 of the 5 proxies a user can install or the built in nginx proxy). If user has VMs running or Docker that's another place to look for configured ports. That's assuming the user isn't using a CDN like Cloudflare or has a DDNS or Domain pointed wrong (got burned on that one).  Then in Control panel under Quick Connect you can use it as relay and setup port mapping here as well. You could have static routes or have Application permissions messed up.  That's just the things I can think of right now you see in the GUI which may/may not match a change made at the command line. Some users will not allow SSH access into the box so a simple command similar to a net stat looking for open ports can't be done.

It's a convoluted mess at times to do what should be a super easy job.

Happy2Play
Just now, cayars said:

@Happy2Play, Synology can be a handful to route through depending on the ports used and other user settings and apps installed.
  Synology runs it's own reverse proxy (nginx) which can "absorb" anything not configured to be routed and will redirect it to port 5000 which is the DSM interface.  If local you'll get DSM redirect which helps in figuring it out.  If remote you won't get a response normally (depends on config).

Sometimes helping people remotely it's a cake walk to get remote working and is a few clicks and 2 minute job.  Other times it can end being a 40 minute chase the packet down routine to see what/where is the issue. ie, ISP, router, Emby, VPN, Synology Firewall or Synology apps (SAS, 1 of the 5 proxies a user can install or the built in nginx proxy). If user has VMs running or Docker that's another place to look for configured ports. That's assuming the user isn't using a CDN like Cloudflare or has a DDNS or Domain pointed wrong (got burned on that one).  Then in Control panel under Quick Connect you can use it as relay and setup port mapping here as well. You could have static routes or have Application permissions messed up.  That's just the things I can think of right now you see in the GUI which may/may not match a change made at the command line. Some users will not allow SSH access into the box so a simple command similar to a net stat looking for open ports can't be done.

It's a convoluted mess at times to do what should be a super easy job.

But Emby has to allow Remote Access as per the screenshots there is no WAN access.  Then setting Emby Network to Secure mode Handled by Reverse Proxy, correct?

But I don't know anything about reverse proxy configurations.

Embyluccon

Hi Happy2Play, cayars and Luke,

Thank you very much for all your help.

Ithicked the boxes that Happy2Play mentioned.

I first forgot to save these settings (stupid me)

But when I did the proper saving og the settings and restarted Emby I got access to Emby using my DNS name in my DS920.

This afternoon I tested the lot at another place and another network and there it did also function fine.

You all made my day.

Thanks very much

Lucas

On 12/29/2021 at 12:16 PM, Embyluccon said:

You all made my day.

Thanks very much

Lucas

That's a great way to start the new year. :)

Glad you got it all working!