New App questions

requa3r0

requa3r0

Hi Luke and the Emby team

Great news with the LG release. I have been looking forward for this, to start using my not 3 years old EMBY server, that unfortunately mostly has served as a offside access on my phone.

I have installed on a brand new LG 2021 and tested.

Here is my 2 bits of feedback.

1: LiveTv

When selecting a channel you are being pushed to a subpage with "episodes" and a green play button? Why?

I don't see the point with this subpage. It is is very annoying, that you have to wait for a subpage, and then click play an extra time, when zapping a bit around channels.

Please include a way to disable this subpage or just remove it. It really makes no sense under live tv.

NB: If I wanted to schedule recording or see the guide, there a many other places to do this. (Under guide for instance.)

The page is really just in the way! Recording are scheduled perhaps 0.0001% of the time you access a channel, so why this subpage?

Also, the icons are way way to large, regardless of icon setup. I can just see a few channel icons on my large TV, and they are like a feet wide on my widescreen.

I don't need to see the channels icons from my back yard, but would like a better overview instead.

Last, the scroll wheel is way to slow moving the icons a pixel at a time. It should be configured more responsive.

I don't know if i can configure this locally somehow. The fact that the channel up / downs = page up down helps though ;O)

2: Subtitles.

I have posted about this before.

But nothing seems to happen?

Subtitles in Emby simply does not work.

The first movie I loaded was Dune 2021 in 4K. From IPTV. Great video and surround audio. No complaints here ;O)

But...None of the included standard subtitles SUBRIPs worked. They just did not display.

The GPSsub worked, but EMBY reports  transcoding, and the subs was floating around everywhere on the screen. Perhaps that is how they are designed. But it was terrible to watch.

Please include a subtitle feature under playback, to go to subtitles.org and download the wanted subtitle, and please include a way to ly set the subtitle position on screen, to avoid them being displayed in the movie or just on the edge of the video frame, making them hard to read.

If fact. Please redesign the entire subtitle engine. Give the user better choices and make it work. I dont need a lot of background hocus pokus.

I need subtitles that work and can be placed a proper place to read. Its really that simple!

Conclusion.

In my opinion a propper media center has 3 main tasks.

A to display video, B to transmit the audio and C to show the relevant subtitles,  as per the users choice.

VIDEO FEED. AUDIO FEED and SUBS

It's 3 things that must work flawlessly!

Everything else is just eye candy and frosting on top.

EMBY FAILS totally when it comes to subtitles, on almost every movie I have tested.

So...after a short joy over the LG app..it was back to the good old KODI on my mac.

Even for LiveTV due above described amanuenses.

I still can not use EMBY as a standard media player..it just doesn't work ;O(

I still love the EMBY idea and will support follow and test, but its really sad that I can't actually use it for anything.

My 2 bits..the are well meant.

I hope they are well received.

Keep up the good work

Hope you had a marry Xmas and happy new wear.

Requaero

"those who search shall find"

Edited by requa3r0

dariusaurius
2 hours ago, requa3r0 said:

Hi Luke and the Emby team

Great news with the LG release. I have been looking forward for this, to start using my not 3 years old EMBY server, that unfortunately mostly has served as a offside access on my phone.

I have installed on a brand new LG 2021 and tested.

Here is my 2 bits of feedback.

1: LiveTv

When selecting a channel you are being pushed to a subpage with "episodes" and a green play button? Why?

I don't see the point with this subpage. It is is very annoying, that you have to wait for a subpage, and then click play an extra time, when zapping a bit around channels.

Please include a way to disable this subpage or just remove it. It really makes no sense under live tv.

NB: If I wanted to schedule recording or see the guide, there a many other places to do this. (Under guide for instance.)

The page is really just in the way! Recording are scheduled perhaps 0.0001% of the time you access a channel, so why this subpage?

Also, the icons are way way to large, regardless of icon setup. I can just see a few channel icons on my large TV, and they are like a feet wide on my widescreen.

I don't need to see the channels icons from my back yard, but would like a better overview instead.

Last, the scroll wheel is way to slow moving the icons a pixel at a time. It should be configured more responsive.

I don't know if i can configure this locally somehow. The fact that the channel up / downs = page up down helps though ;O)

2: Subtitles.

I have posted about this before.

But nothing seems to happen?

Subtitles in Emby simply does not work.

The first movie I loaded was Dune 2021 in 4K. From IPTV. Great video and surround audio. No complaints here ;O)

But...None of the included standard subtitles SUBRIPs worked. They just did not display.

The GPSsub worked, but EMBY reports  transcoding, and the subs was floating around everywhere on the screen. Perhaps that is how they are designed. But it was terrible to watch.

Please include a subtitle feature under playback, to go to subtitles.org and download the wanted subtitle, and please include a way to ly set the subtitle position on screen, to avoid them being displayed in the movie or just on the edge of the video frame, making them hard to read.

If fact. Please redesign the entire subtitle engine. Give the user better choices and make it work. I dont need a lot of background hocus pokus.

I need subtitles that work and can be placed a proper place to read. Its really that simple!

Conclusion.

In my opinion a propper media center has 3 main tasks.

A to display video, B to transmit the audio and C to show the relevant subtitles,  as per the users choice.

VIDEO FEED. AUDIO FEED and SUBS

It's 3 things that must work flawlessly!

Everything else is just eye candy and frosting on top.

EMBY FAILS totally when it comes to subtitles, on almost every movie I have tested.

So...after a short joy over the LG app..it was back to the good old KODI on my mac.

Even for LiveTV due above described amanuenses.

I still can not use EMBY as a standard media player..it just doesn't work ;O(

I still love the EMBY idea and will support follow and test, but its really sad that I can't actually use it for anything.

My 2 bits..the are well meant.

I hope they are well received.

Keep up the good work

Hope you had a marry Xmas and happy new wear.

Requaero

"those who search shall find"

Subtitles were bothering me a lot in the past as well, and honestly it still bothers me but there is nothing what we can do. Luke posted in another thread that PGS/VobSub are not supported by the LG video player. PGS and VobSubs are basically graphics which are put on a separated layer on top of the video; SRT or SubRips is text based and rendered by the video player.

The only alternative with those video files is to use the subtitle search on the bottom of the subtitles selection to search vor a SRT/SubRip for the current playback.

CrappyUserName
11 hours ago, requa3r0 said:

Please include a subtitle feature under playback, to go to subtitles.org and download the wanted subtitle

There is already an option for this and it definitely works. At least it does for opensubtitles.org. You need to setup an account and include those credentials in settings. Then when you select the subtitle button while watching a video there will be an option to search and download a sub titles file. These are in SRT format and play fine.

I don't use PGS or vobsub though so I don't know how they would go. I rip all subtitle tracks and convert them to Advanced Substation using SubtitleEdit so I can set the size and colour. I find SRT subtitles are too white/bright on the OLED so I change them to &H00808080, it's dark gray but it looks light gray on the TV.

1 hour ago, CrappyUserName said:

There is already an option for this and it definitely works. At least it does for opensubtitles.org. You need to setup an account and include those credentials in settings. Then when you select the subtitle button while watching a video there will be an option to search and download a sub titles file. These are in SRT format and play fine.

I don't use PGS or vobsub though so I don't know how they would go. I rip all subtitle tracks and convert them to Advanced Substation using SubtitleEdit so I can set the size and colour. I find SRT subtitles are too white/bright on the OLED so I change them to &H00808080, it's dark gray but it looks light gray on the TV.

Multiple SRT subtitle sources can be added by installing the additional plug-ins and this always worked well. The previous version had a checkmark option to search for synced subtitles only (matching video file checksum), unfortunately it disappeared in the new release. 

CrappyUserName
5 hours ago, senad said:

The previous version had a checkmark option to search for synced subtitles only (matching video file checksum), unfortunately it disappeared in the new release. 

If you edit library settings there is a tick box for "Require a hash Match" in the subtitle section but I don't think it does anything. I have it ticked and searching gave me results that didn't match fully. I was watching an extended edition of the film and the normal edition sub titles were in the list and the ones listed as "extended" still didn't sync up properly. I had to edit the timing manually.

requa3r0
14 hours ago, CrappyUserName said:

Such a feature does not exisist on my system and never had.

Neither on the front page of a movie or in play mode.

I have opensubtitles addon installled and are logend in.

it only shows the subs it has downloaded automatically.

In this case english and estonina subs.

How would this fature be enabled?

image.png.753a38b3b966735878ddb1b0d0ef3a52.png

image.png.4690e41b644fb466fffd33fc6d5adead.png

FrostByte
5 minutes ago, requa3r0 said:

Such a feature does not exisist on my system and never had.

Neither on the front page of a movie or in play mode.

I have opensubtitles addon installled and are logend in.

it only shows the subs it has downloaded automatically.

In this case english and estonina subs.

How would this fature be enabled?

image.png.753a38b3b966735878ddb1b0d0ef3a52.png

image.png.4690e41b644fb466fffd33fc6d5adead.png

Did you enable subtitle downloading for the user on the server?

subdl.jpg.711b4fbd95fbb1b8f7d131e467f54db3.jpg

and then for each library as mentioned by CUN

subdl2.jpg.0598aaaee52085094797639943a6fbd7.jpg

• Like 2

requa3r0
16 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Did you enable subtitle downloading for the user on the server?

subdl.jpg.711b4fbd95fbb1b8f7d131e467f54db3.jpg

and then for each library as mentioned by CUN

subdl2.jpg.0598aaaee52085094797639943a6fbd7.jpg

Thanks.

I never knew you had to give access under user. Not a very intuitive setting.

Its been bothering me for 3 years.

Anyway.

If you go to the download dialog, all languages are displayed,even if I only have selected 3 languages under the subtitles for that liberay.

Un the lg tv app this is very impractical, because you need to scroll through half the world's languages. This must be a mistake!

Also... The sub position is totally ridiculous. Seriously.

The subs should be displayed inside the black bar.. How hard can this be.

Either automatically or with a sub position feature.

IMG_20211227_145242.jpg

FrostByte
28 minutes ago, requa3r0 said:

IMG_20211227_145242.jpg

Lots of people like it in the picture so that their eyes are more focused on the picture and not way down at the bottom.   

However, this should be an option like it is with the ATV app because there are people who feel strongly on both sides.  Having it split like in your pic isn't good for anyone though.

• Agree 1

requa3r0
19 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Lots of people like it in the picture so that their eyes are more focused on the picture and not way down at the bottom.   

However, this should be an option like it is with the ATV app because there are people who feel strongly on both sides.  Having it split like in your pic isn't good for anyone though.

I personally only use subs in our native language if my kids are watching.

Otherwise I always run the original English subs, just to assist in understanding the vocals in case they mumble or the voices drown in noice and eksplosions etc.

I understand English perfectly, so it's only an extra feature which is why they should be tugged away from the video frame.. Not to interfere.

Its the only way to go.

So.. Once again.. Emby loses and I'm back to my good friend KODI.

I think I'll probably never end up actually using emby.. It's just way to restricted and slow.

To much candy and to little usability.

But thanks for the heads up on subtitles privileges.

NB (In my opinion.. The feature should be grayed out, instead of missing. If download is not allowed. At least people would know the features exist!

2 hours ago, requa3r0 said:

Thanks.

I never knew you had to give access under user. Not a very intuitive setting.

Its been bothering me for 3 years.

Anyway.

If you go to the download dialog, all languages are displayed,even if I only have selected 3 languages under the subtitles for that liberay.

Un the lg tv app this is very impractical, because you need to scroll through half the world's languages. This must be a mistake!

IMG_20211227_145242.jpg

It's only off by default for non-admin users.

• Like 1

CrappyUserName
7 hours ago, requa3r0 said:

Well, the black bar is a different size depending on what you are watching so they can never always be in the black bar and a global setting won't really work because of that. I guess it could be coded to check the resolution of the file and adjust them accordingly so most are in the black bar.

I know this isn't the solution you are looking for but if you get a program called SubtitleEdit you can convert SRT subs to ASS (advanced Substation). This format lets you resize the subs, change the colour, font etc... and screen position (the Alignment and Margin fields handle this). It's a little bit of effort so I can understand why people would just want Emby to handle it.

There is limited options in Emby to change size, colour and drop shadow of SRT subtitles.This is set per device.

requa3r0
20 hours ago, Luke said:

It's only off by default for non-admin users.

Hi Luke.

Thank for for taking a look  my feedback ;O)

I just realized.

All my setup etc. is done under an admin user, but I used a default user for the TV app, so I never understood why it did not work, and the culprit was precisely the fact that I did not realize the new user had this deactivated by default ;o/

I can't be the only one who has been confused by this.

As a suggestion. Perhaps leave it default on for new users, or make a greyed out download subtitle download,  when privileges are not given, to give the user a visual feedback that the feature is possible, rather that missing.

Anyway, regardless the few hiccups on the road, the LG app has been very well revived by the family (wife) who is happy that tinges can be a bit more simple, with just a TV app and the same remote etc.

So great work, we are happy that we now have an emby app on the new telly ;O)

The main complaint at this point is the missing "list display feature" that includes the movie synopsis (see screen shot of kodi), and icon size.

We have a movie index of allmost 5000 titles, where most are from VOD imported from IPTV, using a clever script that generates STRM folders and files from the m3u playlist.

I have received the server-side php code from this site.https://erdesigns.eu/app/tools/m3u-to-strm

After adding a bit of scripting i BASH that cleans the m3u8 playlist a bit etc, It automatically generates and updates my STRM folder and files every day, upon witch the emby liberty is build.

This is actually a really good way to handle the VOD from IPTV, and would be a great plug-in for emby. I would make one if I knew how ;O)

Let me now if you are interested in seeing the code.

I have put everything in GitHub in a private repo. I have send you an invite.

Take a look if you like. Its designed for an android BOX setup to service either KODI or EMBY with VOD as STRM files.

Just pay attention to the 2 files under IPTV

MakeIPTV.sh and m3u2strm.php

My suggestion to an improvement:

1: Make a better icon display options. They are simply to big on views, and does not give a very well overview, and all the pretty raster just drown the responsiveness.

2: Add a list mode including the movie synopsis...to list more movies on the frame, and give the user a more quick insight of the content, without having to go into the movie sub-page for a closer look.

3: Add info where the content is coming from. Is it a local file, or something indexed from IPTV VOD

In KODI I can see the difference on the loaded meta data, here shows as just a date for IPTV VOD content, and full meta data info 720P etc.

This is info is also available in Emby, but a clear way to distinguish a local file form VOD would be great.

Thanks for all the great work.

Requaero

Screenshot 2021-12-28 at 12.03.42.png

Screenshot 2021-12-28 at 12.17.23.png

Edited by requa3r0

requa3r0
14 hours ago, CrappyUserName said:

Well, the black bar is a different size depending on what you are watching so they can never always be in the black bar and a global setting won't really work because of that. I guess it could be coded to check the resolution of the file and adjust them accordingly so most are in the black bar.

I know this isn't the solution you are looking for but if you get a program called SubtitleEdit you can convert SRT subs to ASS (advanced Substation). This format lets you resize the subs, change the colour, font etc... and screen position (the Alignment and Margin fields handle this). It's a little bit of effort so I can understand why people would just want Emby to handle it.

There is limited options in Emby to change size, colour and drop shadow of SRT subtitles.This is set per device.

Not exactly a very practical approach.

But as Luke mentions below, the sub posision is beeing looked at..witch is great news

If the subs are set to display "in the lower black bar" automatically, you would need to analyse the aspect ratio, and then in case of space issues, shift the movie frame a few pixels up, and the subs a few pixels dontw to make sure there are room for both.

If you set to display in the bottom of the video frame, the same calculation should be done, and the subs should be displayded just above the bottom of the video frame for either one or 2 line subs.

This with, an additional user interface to fine-tune the position up and down would be great ;O)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.35 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.