Need a way to use MCE_MediaBrowser 2.6.2 on Windows 10 build 21H2

JustinD106

Go to solution Solved by One2Go,

I have Windows Media center installed and had the current version of Media Browser Classic installed along with emby server, but wasn't satisfied with it. I had structured my media folders based on how the old MB worked with configurator (using folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg for poster and fan art)

Since I have other PC's that run Windows 7 and use MB version 2.6.2 none of the movies on my Windows 10 PC have any viewable art (when viewed on a Win7 PC with MB 2.6.2) because the new MB Classic uses poster.jpg and fanart.jpg instead of folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg

I would like to know if there is anyway to be able to change the naming scheme of movie art so that the latest version of MB Classic will download images with folder/backdrop names instead of poster/fan art

I don't like having to have the server installed as I don't stream anything and would prefer the configurator for setting paths and icons over the web server interface.

I still have all the original files related to version 2.6.2 (both in .exe form and backed up from an install even all the .dll files so program data folders and all that are there)

Is there anyone that can help me figure this out? or do I need to give up and revert back to Windows 7 (everything just worked on Win7 now it's all a nightmare on Win10)

Also on a side note I noticed that the current MB Classic wouldn't find any art for a lot of movies and has left my interface looking unfinished when browsing movies.

I know about that. I just think it's lazy of the developers to abandon what they originally started. Media Browser was made as an accessory to Windows Media Center. I specifically used MB to avoid degraded video quality due to streaming or encoding. I tried XBMC/Kodi and didn't like the video quality. As soon as Windows 10 announced there would be no Media Center, Emby put Media Browser on the back burner and switched to Web Server interface and streaming.

I have 5 PCs that all run Windows 7 aside from my main Windows 10 PC. They all have Media Browser beta 2.6.2 installed and they all work flawlessly. I don't have to worry about updates breaking anything. I just wish there was a way to get 2.6.2 to work with the current version of Media Center I have installed on Windows 10 so I can bypass all this new crap.

I can install the old version 2.6.2 but it errors out and the configurator doesn't work at all. If I can figure that out I would be a happy man.

• Like 1

• Solution
8 hours ago, JustinD106 said:

Since I have other PC's that run Windows 7 and use MB version 2.6.2 none of the movies on my Windows 10 PC have any viewable art (when viewed on a Win7 PC with MB 2.6.2) because the new MB Classic uses poster.jpg and fanart.jpg instead of folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg

I would like to know if there is anyway to be able to change the naming scheme of movie art so that the latest version of MB Classic will download images with folder/backdrop names instead of poster/fan art.

I am running Emby Server 4.0.10 with the WMC client (Emby Media Center EMC) and all my artwork is Folder.jpg, Backdrop.jpg, Banner.jpg, Logo.png, ClearArt.png and they all show up. However as you can see from the version number I stopped shortly after version 4 was released (Jan 2019) because I wanted to preserve the usage of WMC. This combination of an older versions of Emby server plus the latest EMC version behave just like the Media Browser version 2.6.2. Just add media according to the established conventions, run a library scan and everything appears just as it did in Media Browser. There is NO DEGRADATION of video as I run MPC_HT as the media software player for all file types except Power DVD for BluRays and DVDs. Again it is streamed straight from the media server over my network to be decoded by MPC_HT with Original video (No processing or transcoding) as well as the original DTS MA audio in its full glory.

You will do yourself a favor by installing Emby server on one of the PCs that is on-line most of the time, than the folder structure as well as the meta data will be imported if you have also the associated XML files as well as the XML Metadata Plugin installed on the server. The Devs here have done an excellent job in supporting this legacy setup and I strongly advise you to find an Emby server 4 version, EMC client and a Windows OS version that does what you want. Then disable updates for Emby but you are on your own with Windows 10 and WMC. All my PCs that run EMC are Windows 7 machines and will only receive regular updates for Bitdefender AV suit and when MS decides to release something for Windows 7. It works and the NO hassle approach you desire is present in my setup.

Finally if you want to do a mass renaming of files, there are utilities that will do just that and it takes relative little time. Again on my 45TB media servers there is not a single poster.jpg, fanart.jpg but I have movie.xml, folder.xml (for collections), series.xml (for TV) and episodes_name.xml files together with the associated Artwork that present the media metadata in all its glory on screen. I do have a backup PC running Media Browser 2.6.2 pointing to the same media servers and both WMC/EMC clients on Media Browser with WMC and Emby server with EMC display the same artwork and metadata.

Edited by One2Go
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1