Cannot connect Emby to my NAS DS920+ Help needed

tzic
Go to solution Solved by eeeeeesy,

Hello I am trying to connect Emby to my new NAS but still no luck. I've installed Emby Server on my NAS, I created a user (embyUser) gave permissions to READ/WRITE for my server_downloads folder but when I try to locate this folder  through the add new library action I get this:

I have 2 volumes so the results are

/volume1

/volume2

When I click in volume 2 I get this: (some folders with the @ symbol infront of the name and the folders that I want without the @ symbol)

@download

@eaDir

Movies

etc

If I click on Movies  the search line becomes blank and no connection is made. If I click any other folder with the @ symbol it accepts it. Does anyone know why this is happening?

DS920+ Version 7.0.1

FrostByte

Emby server doesn't use Local users for shared folder permissions with DSM 7 and instead uses System internal users.  Make sure you click the dropdown box first and then you should see the already created 'emby' user and grant read/write permissions to your shared folder.

You can then delete the local user embyUser you created

permissions.thumb.jpg.37b897283b916647502d548d2cf40a1d.jpg

• Thanks 2

Thank you for the reply. I got this working. I also installed Plex to check if it is working and during the setup in NAS a pop up came up saying this about System internal user. Maybe Emby should follow this step as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tzic said:

Thank you for the reply. I got this working. I also installed Plex to check if it is working and during the setup in NAS a pop up came up saying this about System internal user. Maybe Emby should follow this step as well.

Hi, yes it's not a bad idea. Thanks for the feedback.

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...
drobizzle
On 24/12/2021 at 02:57, FrostByte said:

Emby server doesn't use Local users for shared folder permissions with DSM 7 and instead uses System internal users.  Make sure you click the dropdown box first and then you should see the already created 'emby' user and grant read/write permissions to your shared folder.

You can then delete the local user embyUser you created

permissions.thumb.jpg.37b897283b916647502d548d2cf40a1d.jpg

Thnx mate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
eeeeeesy

i just got a synology nas and i dont want to install emby on the synology, i want to keep using emby in windows and just link my libraries to the shared folders on my nas but the network folder when creating the library comes up blank even though i think i have set the correct permissions in the nas and can see the folders in windows.image.thumb.png.c88985ed3923c3059426cfa558eb3ad3.png

image.thumb.png.66968ed600357a3db8a34e6b93c3f05a.png

@Luke

Edited by eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy
1 hour ago, eeeeeesy said:

i just got a synology nas and i dont want to install emby on the synology, i want to keep using emby in windows and just link my libraries to the shared folders on my nas but the network folder when creating the library comes up blank even though i think i have set the correct permissions in the nas and can see the folders in windows.image.thumb.png.c88985ed3923c3059426cfa558eb3ad3.png

image.thumb.png.66968ed600357a3db8a34e6b93c3f05a.png

@Luke

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159320-optional-network-paths

i found this unc guide as you suggested but it doesnt give a complete guide on setting it up so is not helpful. i have renamed my server to all caps but still cant see my server when setting up the library. i also do not see my nas drive mapped to a drive letter because i was not shown how to do that but also i dont want my nas drive to have a drive letter because im running out of drive letters to begin with since i have many external drives already attached and when i plug in a new drive a different driveletter get assigned to my drives and since they are all connected to emby libraries it causes the path to be broken for my emby libraries until i change the drive letter back to what my library was setup for.

Edited by eeeeeesy

Hi, were you able to figure out Synology share permissions? Have you taken a look at this?

On 7/1/2022 at 3:07 PM, eeeeeesy said:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159320-optional-network-paths

i found this unc guide as you suggested but it doesnt give a complete guide on setting it up so is not helpful. i have renamed my server to all caps but still cant see my server when setting up the library. i also do not see my nas drive mapped to a drive letter because i was not shown how to do that but also i dont want my nas drive to have a drive letter because im running out of drive letters to begin with since i have many external drives already attached and when i plug in a new drive a different driveletter get assigned to my drives and since they are all connected to emby libraries it causes the path to be broken for my emby libraries until i change the drive letter back to what my library was setup for.

Hi, we recommend not using windows mounted network drive letters and instead just use the original network location.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, eeeeeesy said:

yes i figured it out. thanks

What was the solution?

• Solution
eeeeeesy

created a new pool for the drive and allocated all the storage for the full drive size. renamed the drive to all lowercase "emby_plex_nas" then mapped the drive letters with this command in the cmd prompt.

open an elevated CMD/PS prompt and run this where N is your drive letter:

```NET USE N: \\emby_plex_nas\DISK1_20tb /PERSISTENT:YES```

fo rmy setup, each new drive needs its own pool to be created and allocate the entire drive because i want to maximize the storage and i dont care about backups.

then created the library like this

image.thumb.png.d3800a35ef359189c86f96aed47402fc.png

Edited by eeeeeesy
  • Thanks 1