Emby server crashes regularly (and quickly)

bacry

I'm using a Synology NAS to run emby server 4.6.4

When I start it and run the web client, it runs ok for a while. But if I scroll too much on the list of the movies (it is downloading/showing the posters of the movies) ... the server crashes regularly ...

I attached the log

Thxxx++++ for any help 

Emmanuel

EmbyServer.log

You are still on DSM 6 correct?

This isn't the normal emby server log you can access via Logs menu in the dashboard.
Where did you get this log file from?

That's your upgrade history log file.

What we want to see is the Emby Server log you can get in the Emby Dashboard web app from the Logs menu.
The file in new at each restart and rotated daily so you would want to upload the log from the time of the problem.

You are a few versions behind as that log is showing you running 4.6.4 but DSM 6 release build is currently 4.6.7

I would download the 4.6.7 version from our site and install it manually.
https://emby.media/synology6-server.html

15 hours ago, bacry said:

I did all what you asked me to do

Nothing has changed. 

log is attached 

It would be great if you can help me 

Emmanuel

embyserver.txt 56.18 kB · 1 download

Can you get the server to stay up long enough to get to library options? You could try disabling the real-time monitor for each of your emby libraries, then restart the server and see if that helps. Thanks.

Nope ... I tried what you said .. .same problem

The crash happens each time when I scroll through the list of my movies .... I see the posters of the movies popping up .... and then suddenly no more ...

;-(

embyserver.txt

17 hours ago, bacry said:

Nope ... I tried what you said .. .same problem

The crash happens each time when I scroll through the list of my movies .... I see the posters of the movies popping up .... and then suddenly no more ...

;-(

embyserver.txt 87.14 kB · 0 downloads

Hmm, nothing obvious here. As a test, can you remove the Dlna and Port mapper plugins, then restart the server and try again? Thanks.

This log is showing the plugins still there:
2021-12-26 10:35:47.379 Info App: File /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/plugins/Emby.Dlna.dll has version 1.0.69.0
2021-12-26 10:35:47.401 Info App: File /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/plugins/Emby.PortMapper.dll has version 1.0.6.0

Try removing the DropBox plugin as well.
2021-12-26 10:35:47.973 Info App: Loading Dropbox, Version=3.2.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /volume1/Emby/plugins/Dropbox.dll

A test I'd like to see is removing those plugins, then restart Emby.

Do nothing, touch nothing and let the server run for 30 minutes.  Now try logging in and grab the server log to upload. This should have allowed plenty of time for startup as well as any background tests to run after starting up with no user interaction.

It could be that it's a background process having an issue when you think it was you scrolling through the library shortly after startup.  This should help separate these two things to make debugging the issue easy to understand.

11 hours ago, bacry said:

Ok here is a new log file .... I did stopped dlna services

It took more time to crash .. I added some movies, asked for metadata update .... and then it crashed ..

Here is the log

Thx !

embyserver-63776224082.txt 582.41 kB · 1 download

@bacry it appears you still have the plugins installed that I had asked you to try removing. Can you please go into the plugins section of the server, remove the dlna and port mapper plugins, then restart the server and let us know how that compares? Thanks !

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

And you're saying it crashed during the time of this log file?

Can't really tell by the log if it abruptly stopped while processing or just finished "La Chasse A L'Homme" or if the log file was just grabbed from the file system without going through the log menu to download it.

I waited more than 30minutes without doing anything ;...

It was still running ....

Then I did what I usually do : I scroll through the movies .....

And then it crashed ....

Tell me what you want me to test ? 

It's a bit confusing the way you're just posting logs without an explanation of what took place and/or time.  Some are obviously not a problem as it shows you pulling the logs.
So it makes it hard to tell what is relevant to the issue.

When your logs just stop it appears to be happening in image processing which also matches what you mention of scrolling around.
Something is causing a problem that the code doesn't trap (or get a chance to) which often times is OS/Hardware related.

Can you run a Check Disk on every drive in this system.  In windows you can right click on the drive letter, bring up properties then click tools tab and check.  Do that for each drive.
Next run a SMART test on each drive.

It's quite possible a file is cross linked or similar that the disk check can fix and solve the problem.

Let us know how this goes,
Carlo

Happy2Play

@cayarsDo you think adjusting DB Cache would make a difference?  But this would me a manual process in this version.

Info SqliteItemRepository: cache_size is -98304

These logs really don't show anything wrong.  But does possibly point to Image processing. Debug logging may provide more information.

@Happy2Play Adjusting the cache and doing an optimize wouldn't hurt but I don't think will help either.
To me it seems like it's related to processing one of the graphic files that throws some type of error that isn't recoverable.

I've been looking to see if there is anyway to log access to files in Synology and can't find anything like this.  You can log changed files but that's not a help.  
I found that lsof | grep "16658"  (process ID of emby on my system) shows all open files at any one time which is a start.
I'm trying to see if using a few different greps of the above could log file assess every 1/4 to 1/2 second or so.  That could be really helpful to see what the last files read were if it is a graphic file processing issue.

Carlo