Backup from Windows to Synology

MikeyMan

MikeyMan

Hi All,

Today i got my new Synology DS1520+. Nice time to move my emby setup from my PC to my NAS now.
Thought i'd just restore the backup and be done with it. Especially the play-states are something i'd like to hang on to.
However; although the restore is finished succesfully through the plugins; it wont work as i hoped.

Think this is down to the way the library was linked to my Previously.
In windows the path was: \\NAS\Concerten

However; this same path on the NAS is now: \Volume1\Concerten

Any way to go around this?

Edited by MikeyMan

Hi, I wouldn't use the backup plugin to restore anything that has windows paths in it, so when changing to Synology, I would probably just restore users, user data, and nothing else. Then setup the libraries using the new folder paths.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

MikeyMan

That will probably work... But won't that reset the play state then?

I tried to change the paths in the actual backup file. Seems to work apart from not getting the permissions right...

Since you're new to Synology this might be a bit tough to figure out.
Nothing like starting out moving everything! :)

Would you like for me to remote in to your desktop and work on it together?

That way I can describe what you want to do and let you do the work. LOL

If you would like to do this tonight or tomorrow let me know via PM (private message).

MikeyMan

@cayars i'll send you a PM, thanks for the offer!

Have had a synology for 7 years now, never had to spend too much time on it. But DSM7 seems to be a different beast. ;)

Sure thing.  I don't know if this is something you wanted to get done sooner than later or after the Holidays.
I just wanted to let you know I haven't received a PM.  No hurry or anything on my part.

Just let me know when you'd like to do this.
Carlo

MikeyMan

That's weird! Tried to send one an hour ago. I'll try again. If you need screenshots for this topic for future reference, let me know anyways.

Maybe someone can learn from it.

Edited by MikeyMan

I've obviously gotten your PMs now as we've been trading messages. :)

Let me know tomorrow when you're done the disk upgrade and we can take a look at this.

Carlo

MikeyMan

I don't know what happened; but after the Raid rebuild was finished and i restarted the NAS, all was solved.

And by some black magic; the play-state has also been kept. Absolutely no clue what happened here, but i'll take it.

Probably just that, the reboot was needed. Don't know exactly why but it could be as simple as some environmental variable was written to a file for startup but since you had a disk rebuild in place wasn't applied to the current environment.  Synology does some strange things at times that other Linux or "Linux like" OSes don't do, normally to keep you from hurting the system or causing yourself grief.  As much as it can sometimes be aggravating at times to not be full Linux compatible, it serves them well as they have a good reputation with people who know nothing about Linux OS, so it works.

It's one of those things that will be a mystery but you won't care why, as it worked in your favor. :)

MikeyMan

Utterly frustrating to not know what causes stuff ;)

So do i understand correctly that the play-states are saved in the db itself? How are they linked to the files if not by the path?

6 hours ago, MikeyMan said:

Utterly frustrating to not know what causes stuff ;)

So do i understand correctly that the play-states are saved in the db itself? How are they linked to the files if not by the path?

Via external id's (moviedb, tvdb, etc).

• Thanks 1