External Player - Switching?

cryhavoc

cryhavoc

please pardon the addition to a thread 18months old, but I am not sure where to add vs opening a new ticket.   food for thought, only.  not new thread worthy, imo.

I still see no way to switch players and it would be handy.  if I have two or three players installed on the shield, I am defaulted one.  I have yet to see how to select the player.  maybe I am missing it.  regardless, exoplayer has documented issues evidenced in both plex/emby, e.g., stuttering playing 480 videos for me on the shield.  I have read some have issues with 1080 as well using exoplayer.  

whatever what some think of exoplayer, the reason this has come up to the point I add to the forum is that I just noticed some pixelation issues in br2049 at about 5min, the moving clouds after pan up from car, that do not happen when the video played straight from thumb drive connected to the tv.  both are 4k hdr, yet exo player not getting it done vs the player included in the sony.

I am experimenting with mx and vlc, but so far not thrilled with having to give up one thing for another.  e.g., I cannot switch if I have a problem with one player with whatever video. 

no player is perfect, so using players for their optimum case is ideal which hints having the option to choose which player for the video of choice.

this is feedback; I am not looking for possible solutions to my exo player issues.  I have beaten it to death trying to solve the problems I get with old 480 videos of which there is no bluray replacement(s).  some blame nvidia as well, but I have the same issues on roku ultra.

I say again, emby is a step up from plex.  it is great to have options...  Thank you.

EDIT:  I neglected to mention the aforementioned issues are not network related.  

Edited by cryhavoc

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, cryhavoc said:

I still see no way to switch players and it would be handy.  if I have two or three players installed on the shield, I am defaulted one.  I have yet to see how to select the player. 

On your Shield: Settings>Apps, scroll to your default player, select, scroll down to "Clear defaults".

Next time you play an item, you will have a popup with Player selection and options "Just once" and "Always". Do not select "Always". 😉

• Like 1

Hi.  Please let us know if the above answers your question.  The player selection is handled by the Android system.

Thanks.

justinrh

So, does this mean you don't have to go into the Emby app settings and select 'use external player' to use an external player?

GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, justinrh said:

So, does this mean you don't have to go into the Emby app settings and select 'use external player' to use an external player?

You do, but unless you default any of the players, you'll get prompted each time to select one. 

26 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Why do you feel you need to use an external player?

justinrh
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Why do you feel you need to use an external player?

I didn't say I felt the need 😉, but I think I will try one to see if I can get around the ExoPlayer TS audio sync issues.