There's No Prompt to Log In When Using Firefox or Chrome

Nicodemous

Nicodemous

Like the title says, navigating to my server address (from my PC, using Firefox) or right clicking on the Emby icon in the task bar of the server itself (using Chrome) and selecting 'Configure Emby' or 'Browse Library' takes me to a black screen that, if I highlight the area per the photo, I can see should be allowing me to log in, and isn't. This screen appears after briefly showing me the Emby logo and a loading wheel.

I am running 4.6.7.0; I've checked my network numerous times and it's configured the same way it always has been.

I can connect just fine with my Android app and Emby Theater on the same PC having issues. I have restarted Emby multiple times.

I think I've attached the logs, but I couldn't say for sure, so if there's other files you need to help me figure out what the hell is happening, please ask.

Web Access Won't Allow Me to Log In.png

embyserver.txt

Hello Nicodemous,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Happy2Play

What browser version?  You appear to have a browser update; does it make a difference?  Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

If you hit F12 to bring up browser console are there errors?

Nicodemous

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'parse')
    at getViewEventDetail (viewmanager.js?v=4.6.7.0:1)
    at onBeforeChange (viewmanager.js?v=4.6.7.0:1)
    at viewmanager.js?v=4.6.7.0:1

That's an error message from pressing F12; I have updated both browsers to no effect. Chrome is now version 96.0.4664.110, and Firefox is now 95.0.2. I have cleared my browser(s) cache to no effect.

Happy2Play

It shouldn't matter but does using server IP instead of localhost make a difference?

Does the same happen on a different PC?

justinrh

Since the issue is browser-agnostic, it sounds like you might have the same add-on in both browsers interfering or there is some security setting interfering (browsers are continually adding security features).  Do you get any blocked file links (like to JS files)?  What are your proxy settings (in the browser or the OS)?

You restarted Emby, but did you restart Windows?

So, what changed recently?  It worked fine just before ____ happened?

@ebr, you asked about console errors - what does it tell you?

Edited by justinrh

visproduction

Inside viewmanager.js first instance of variables are optimzed into one line.

var currentViewInfo,mainAnimatedPages,allPages=[],currentUrls=[],selectedPageIndex=-1;

This normally works, but I wonder if it can cause any errors with some browsers and some setups.  The error lines are further down inside viewmanager.js and the error log seems to say that variables are missing.  Is that the correct interpretation of "Cannot read properties of undefined?

Some of the variables nested in the single line have [ ].  So, allPages is empty but there is immediately  a 'for' that adds to the set, in the next line. currentUrls also starts empty but isn't it also updated very quickly?  What happens when this activity causes the rest of the variables to fail to be assigned to " -1" soon enough in the pre-execution pass and the browser starts to load the rest of the js.  Can such an out of sync result in the errors?  I run into this type of timing errors a lot with browsers.  I usually solve it with a setTimeout, but I know most managers don't want to do that.

An easy test would be to change the var declarations to one per line, so decalaring each var would not get stopped and see if that helps.

var currentViewInfo =-1;
var mainAnimatedPages =-1;
var allPages=[] =-1;
var currentUrls=[] =-1;
var selectedPageIndex =-1;

Also read: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/694102/declaring-multiple-variables-in-javascript

Comment on that post:

• @0xc0de: I would like to see the proof of declaring all the variables in one statement as "efficient". If you are only measuring efficiency as a matter of the few bytes saved, then maybe. But if you take into account readability and maintainability, I think you'll find that premature optimization is usually the wrong way to go, especially since modern browsers will collect and initialize all the variables in a scope on a pre-execution pass. Personally, I find having variables all declared in a single line or statement to make quickly understanding code harder and more error prone. 

Edited by visproduction

Nicodemous

From the server itself (using Chrome), the online web app works; from my PC (using Chrome), the web app works. From my PC using Firefox, I get a Connection Failure popup.

I have completely restarted the server itself (and my PC) to no effect.

I have turned off all Extensions in Chrome and all Add-ons in Firefox to no effect.

It's going to take me a while to read through visproduction's javascript response because my programing knowledge is at a beginner level and I've never messed around with js.

If it works from Chrome but not Firefox, then it could be related to any Firefox options you may have configured.

Nicodemous

Despite the fact that the web app works for Chrome and not Firefox, the issue of directly trying to navigate to my server's IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.xxx:8096) still produces the error regardless of browser.

justinrh

You haven't answered the question about any linked files not loading or what recently changed.

Anyone, could anti-malware software be interfering with some JS files?

Nicodemous

Recently changed: nothing that I can control. I haven't modified any aspect of my server config, my router, my firewall, my DNS, my port forwarding, any aspect of the network infrastructure. If Firefox and Chrome added a security feature(s) that caused this, I couldn't control such but anything that I could have modified, hasn't been changed within months. The only thing I can think of that might have caused an issue would have been if my external IP changed, but I have dynamic DNS setup, and, more to the point, this is a problem occurring on my local network, using an internal IP that I know is right (I can RDP into my server from a PC, as well as looked it up on the server itself to confirm).

Unfortunately, I do not remember the last time I tried navigating to Emby using the IP address from a web browser so I couldn't tell you it was working at ______ and then ____ happened.
As for the linked files question, I don't understand it. If you mean, when I press F12, am I getting any errors using that verbage, no.

Also, I only run malwarebytes to scan for issues every other month, I download it, run it, then uninstall; there is no dedicated AV installed on my server.

justinrh

Here's an example of a linked file not loading, as seen in the console:

Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://hc.tags.newscgp.com/prod/ncg/ncg.js”.
OR
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()

You may have to toggle on something like "XHR" or "Requests" to see these types of errors.

Are you using Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1 for your Emby server?

justinrh

Maybe try reinstall of Emby server?  Maybe you have some corrupt files.

Edited by justinrh