ComSkipper ... A Emby Plugin that skips commercials

BillOatman

@BillOatman It does seem to be necessary to find the ID for the control session and send instructions to that one in this case. I defined strings for the two session IDs as class variables:

private string PlaybackSession = string.Empty;
private string ControlSession = string.Empty;

And then set them once in the PlaybackStart method, replacing the local 'session' variable throughout that function:

PlaybackSession = e.Session.Id;
ControlSession = (e.Session.SupportsRemoteControl)
    ? PlaybackSession
    : SessionManager.Sessions.Where(
        i => i.DeviceId == e.Session.DeviceId && i.SupportsRemoteControl)
    .First().Id;

(Formatted for legibility; the rest of the refactor isn't shown)

Then the only further change is to update the two function calls to SkipCommercial and SendMessageToClient so they use the ControlSession value instead of the session determined from PlaybackProgress. I suppose the plugin actually ought to detect if there's no controllable session for the device and exit cleanly, because sending controls to a session that can't respond to them isn't very helpful.

Let me know if I need to dust off my GitHub account and submit a PR.

BillOatman
13 hours ago, fedward said:

Let me know if I need to dust off my GitHub account and submit a PR.

Ugh but good work.  I'm trying it out now.

@fedward  This works for me, give it a try.

ComSkipper.zip

Edited by BillOatman

BillOatman
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

@BillOatman you saw my PM on the requirements for real-time processing?

With the ScripterX script etc?  Yup sure did.  Updated the doc in github.  Next release I'll remove the "experimental" label.  Thanks :)

• Like 1

reneboulard

Is it possible to add in your code :

System.Globalization  so the EDL file will be parse correctly if the system is in a different culture than US.

i.e. - Cultures use decimal point (Israel, Japan, UK) or comma (Slovakia, France, Germany) as decimal separators. Persian uses a forward slash (/).

So setting 

CultureInfo.DefaultThreadCurrentCulture = new CultureInfo("en-US");

This way parsing EDL file will work in any setting.

You can refer to https://zetcode.com/csharp/cultureinfo/ for more info

Thank you

BillOatman
3 hours ago, reneboulard said:

System.Globalization  so the EDL file will be parse correctly if the system is in a different culture than US.

i.e. - Cultures use decimal point (Israel, Japan, UK) or comma (Slovakia, France, Germany) as decimal separators. Persian uses a forward slash (/).

So setting 

Thank you

Hi.  Yes I can set the culture that way, thanks for the suggestion.  I should have a test version available for you to try later today my time,

BillOatman
14 hours ago, reneboulard said:

So setting 

Thank you

Please give this a try.

ComSkipperCultureTest.zip

BillOatman
3 hours ago, reneboulard said:

Worked like a charm.

Thank you

Sweet, thank you!  I'll get it released.

HarryMuscle

How soon after a commercial is marked to start can the plug-in skip it?  Looking at the code it seems to be limited by how often the Emby server calls the plug-in via the the callback methods.

For example, if the EDL file says a commercial starts at exactly 10:00 will the plug-in initiate the skipping within the second (ie: before 10:01) or is it more like within 5 to 10 seconds?  Also curious how quickly the clients tend to react to this request to skip the commercial?

Thanks,

Harry

BillOatman
10 hours ago, HarryMuscle said:

How soon after a commercial is marked to start can the plug-in skip it?  Looking at the code it seems to be limited by how often the Emby server calls the plug-in via the the callback methods.

For example, if the EDL file says a commercial starts at exactly 10:00 will the plug-in initiate the skipping within the second (ie: before 10:01) or is it more like within 5 to 10 seconds?  Also curious how quickly the clients tend to react to this request to skip the commercial?

Thanks,

Harry

There is no logic around that at all.  My eyeballing it during all the testing tells me it is within a second or 2 that it skips.  But how much of that is delay in Emby versus what comskip detects I never looked as it operates as I expect.  

• 2 weeks later...
inzombyac

@BillOatman thanks for this plugin.  It gives me hope in being able to use Emby for my live TV purposes.  Is this plugin meant to work for any Emby client?  I am able to get it to work with the web client, and the Samsung TV client, but not any of my Android TV clients (3 Nvidia Shield TV's).  On the ATV client I see the commercial skip popup like it's going to work, but the skip doesn't do anything.  I checked the logs and it doesn't report any error.  Just checking to see if this is expected to work.

BillOatman
1 hour ago, inzombyac said:

@BillOatman thanks for this plugin.  It gives me hope in being able to use Emby for my live TV purposes.  Is this plugin meant to work for any Emby client?  I am able to get it to work with the web client, and the Samsung TV client, but not any of my Android TV clients (3 Nvidia Shield TV's).  On the ATV client I see the commercial skip popup like it's going to work, but the skip doesn't do anything.  I checked the logs and it doesn't report any error.  Just checking to see if this is expected to work.

Yes, it should work with all Emby clients that can accept "RemoteControl" commands.  It does work on my shields.  If you want to turn on debug logging and run through one that does not work I'd be happy to take a look at it.  

BillOatman
1 hour ago, inzombyac said:

@BillOatman here's a link to the server log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5o7a8gzj23pdae/emby_log.txt?dl=0

I am not seeing any error reports as far as I can tell.  In this case the file was remuxed from a .ts to .mkv, but I have tried before with standard .ts files.  

The relevant parts are:

2022-02-01 13:04:18.930 Debug Com Skipper: EDL file \\EMBY\Recordings\7 News at Noon\7 News at Noon 2022_02_01_12_00_00.edl found.
2022-02-01 13:04:18.936 Debug Com Skipper: parts 0.00 167.17
2022-02-01 13:04:18.936 Debug Com Skipper: parts 273.84 299.12
2022-02-01 13:04:18.937 Debug Com Skipper: Commmercial List in seconds for 7 News at Noon 2022_02_01_12_00_00.mkv:
2022-02-01 13:04:18.937 Debug Com Skipper: Start: 1  End: 167
2022-02-01 13:04:18.937 Debug Com Skipper: Start: 273  End: 299

2022-02-01 13:04:19.945 Debug Com Skipper: Skipping commercial. Session: 4c50e94d522dd421d52be6b6d497eac5 Start = 10000000  End = 1671699999

Everything looks happy.  You got the on screen message and the session must state it is remote control capable or it would not try and send the command, so your client just isn't honoring the remote control command for some reason.  I'll try and look later too, but look in your client settings and make sure remote control isn't disabled somehow.

marcsimus

I've had the comskip and ffmpeg setup sitting on my to-do list for a while and this plugin makes me glad I waited. It was sounding a little painful to get the ffmpeg piece setup to mangle the video file to remove the commercials. No longer need to do that, just generate the edl and I'm all set! Thanks, @BillOatman!

One thing I did notice pretty quickly though, it doesn't seem to handle skipping back in the video very well. On my first test I was skipping ahead to find a block of commercials and happened to skip to the middle of one of those blocks. The plugin did it's job and skipped to the end of the commercials. However, I wanted to test it during a normal playback session (one where I didn't just jump to the middle of a block of commercials) so I skipped back prior to the beginning of that same block of commercials to just let it play. This time when I got to the commercials, it didn't skip. So I played around with that a bit and was able to reproduce it consistently. After the plugin skips a block of commercials, if you back track it won't skip that same block again. The exception to that is if after rewinding you stop the playback and replay it. Doesn't seem to matter if you continue where you left off or start the playback from the beginning again. Upon replaying the recording again, it will skip those commercials again.

After it fails to skip though, if you let it play or skip ahead to the next block of commercials it will then skip those. So it seems to me that perhaps the plugin keeps a placeholder in the edl which doesn't backtrack when you rewind? Or maybe another way to state that, maybe the plugin is only keeping track of the next set of timestamps from the edl which doesn't get corrected when you backtrack?

I did also test the case where if my current playback is prior to the first block of commercials and I skip ahead to just before the second block, it does still skip that second block. So this does seem to only be an issue when rewinding to a point before (or during) a set of commercials that have already been skipped.

This isn't a big deal since I don't, in practice, rewind all that often. Even when I do, it's not a big deal to have to sit through a few commercials once in a while. Just thought I'd bring it to your attention so you can decide if you'd like to do anything about it.

Great work here!

inzombyac
7 hours ago, BillOatman said:

The relevant parts are:

Everything looks happy.  You got the on screen message and the session must state it is remote control capable or it would not try and send the command, so your client just isn't honoring the remote control command for some reason.  I'll try and look later too, but look in your client settings and make sure remote control isn't disabled somehow.

It turns out I had the beta client on my shields.  Thanks for the assist and keep up the good work.

marcsimus
11 hours ago, marcsimus said:

I've had the comskip and ffmpeg setup sitting on my to-do list for a while and this plugin makes me glad I waited. It was sounding a little painful to get the ffmpeg piece setup to mangle the video file to remove the commercials. No longer need to do that, just generate the edl and I'm all set! Thanks, @BillOatman!

One thing I did notice pretty quickly though, it doesn't seem to handle skipping back in the video very well. On my first test I was skipping ahead to find a block of commercials and happened to skip to the middle of one of those blocks. The plugin did it's job and skipped to the end of the commercials. However, I wanted to test it during a normal playback session (one where I didn't just jump to the middle of a block of commercials) so I skipped back prior to the beginning of that same block of commercials to just let it play. This time when I got to the commercials, it didn't skip. So I played around with that a bit and was able to reproduce it consistently. After the plugin skips a block of commercials, if you back track it won't skip that same block again. The exception to that is if after rewinding you stop the playback and replay it. Doesn't seem to matter if you continue where you left off or start the playback from the beginning again. Upon replaying the recording again, it will skip those commercials again.

After it fails to skip though, if you let it play or skip ahead to the next block of commercials it will then skip those. So it seems to me that perhaps the plugin keeps a placeholder in the edl which doesn't backtrack when you rewind? Or maybe another way to state that, maybe the plugin is only keeping track of the next set of timestamps from the edl which doesn't get corrected when you backtrack?

I did also test the case where if my current playback is prior to the first block of commercials and I skip ahead to just before the second block, it does still skip that second block. So this does seem to only be an issue when rewinding to a point before (or during) a set of commercials that have already been skipped.

This isn't a big deal since I don't, in practice, rewind all that often. Even when I do, it's not a big deal to have to sit through a few commercials once in a while. Just thought I'd bring it to your attention so you can decide if you'd like to do anything about it.

Great work here!

Just noticed that the PDF states this, "Once ComSkipper skips a commercial, it will not skip it again unless you restart the playback of the recording." So I guess never mind.

BillOatman
1 minute ago, marcsimus said:

Just noticed that the PDF states this, "Once ComSkipper skips a commercial, it will not skip it again unless you restart the playback of the recording." So I guess never mind.

Yeah that's because if comskip makes a mistake and causes the plugin to skip too far (rare, but could happen), you can manually go back to the correct spot and not have the plugin fight you on it :)

BillOatman
11 hours ago, inzombyac said:

It turns out I had the beta client on my shields.  Thanks for the assist and keep up the good work.

Ahh ok thanks for getting back to us :)

marcsimus
On 2/2/2022 at 8:45 AM, BillOatman said:

Yeah that's because if comskip makes a mistake and causes the plugin to skip too far (rare, but could happen), you can manually go back to the correct spot and not have the plugin fight you on it :)

Sure. Once I sat down and put some more thought into it I assumed that's what was probably going on.

Hey there

first off all, sorry for my english :D

Secondly, I'll have some local text for you. Com Skipper:Locale = de

Text could be: "Werbung übersprungen"

Otherwise I'll get the english text "Commercial Skipped".

Thanks for the really great work. I love that plugin!!!!

Edited by Sw!sH