Fire-TV playback freeze with subtitle ON

Anderella

Anderella

Hi,

I'm running current version 4.6.7.0 on my qnap-server.

Playback via external connection on Fire TV, MKV file. (Bluray Rip, Full HD, 5.1 DTS audio)

But if I activate subtitle track the movie starts to freeze and I can't continue watching.

(Movie, AndroidTv Fire TV 4K DirectPlay)

Turning off subtitle solves the problem, playback works like a charm. (But as I don't speak french, the forced subtitles would help:)

Thx for help, hopefully right logfile enclosed.

ffmpeg-transcode-172ef7ee-a788-427b-a356-0b21018581ee_1.txt

Hi.  It looks like your server is transcoding fast enough so I'm not sure where the bottleneck is occurring.

Can you try lowering the bitrate setting in the app settings to 5Mb/s and see if that helps?

Anderella

Hi,

lowering the bitrate to 5Mb/s helped a little bit, but the playback still stuttered and didn't run smooth.

Reducing to 2Mb/s was necessary to get a working playback.

Do I have to limit the user setting (streaming data rate) on server side or what could you suggest?

• 2 weeks later...
Anderella

Checked with sideloading app, same effect. Reducing to 2 MB/s was necessary to get "working playback".

(Please let me know, if I can be helpful with logfile or any further test)

RanmaCanada

The firestick can't direct play PGS subs.  You would be better to get srt subs for the files you need them for, or covert your existing subs.

14 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

The firestick can't direct play PGS subs

Sure it can - as long as everything else about the item allows direct play.

2 hours ago, Anderella said:

And do you have an explanation for the stuttering playback?

Hi.  We believe this may be a CPU constraint on some devices related to rendering the PGS subs.  We're looking into it but don't have any immediate solutions.

• 2 weeks later...
fpezzino

Hello to everyone!

I noticed the same issue, that's emby initiate to transcode every mkv 4k with PGS subs file I played, with my Amazon Fire Stick 4k.

I also noticed that the issue occurs only with some MKV files, while not occurs with other. If I play the same file with no PGS on, the playback is ok.

Time ago, that's about 1 or 2 years ago, I red on this forum that there are PSG subtitle with a sort of multi-layered format.
Is it possible that emby has not yet resolved this issue after 2 years?
I am forced to use Plex instead of my favourite Emby to play all MKV files with PGS subtitle on to not have playback issue.
At this point, let me say that I am really sorry to have bougth the lifetime licence for Emby server that run on my QNAP NAS.

Since Plex player installed on the same Fire TV Stick 4k playes the same files  that Emby plays with issues, can you work on this frustrating issues to resolve it definitely?

Please, please, fix it as soon as possible.
I can use Emby no more with this issue.

Thank you in advance.
Filippo.

fpezzino
On 1/17/2022 at 3:19 AM, ebr said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Hi, I hope to have enought time next week to send you all the information/files you requested to me.

For now I uploaded 2 screenshoot of the Transcoding problem during playing of a movie e the fragment video sample to allow you to test it.

I need an email to send the google drive link to allow you to download the video test file and the 2 screenshoot produced for your convenience.

Let me know.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards.

fpezzino
3 minutes ago, fpezzino said:

Hi, I hope to have enought time next week to send you all the information/files you requested to me.

For now I uploaded 2 screenshoot of the Transcoding problem during playing of a movie e the fragment video sample to allow you to test it.

I need an email to send the google drive link to allow you to download the video test file and the 2 screenshoot produced for your convenience.

Let me know.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards.

Ok, I just sended to you the link with my google drive.

The message that i sended to you has this subject: "Related to Video Transcoding problem with subtitle on".

Regards and good work in hoping to find a solution as soon as possible. I love Emby and I would be happy to continue to use it instead of Plex.

20 hours ago, fpezzino said:

Ok, I just sended to you the link with my google drive.

The message that i sended to you has this subject: "Related to Video Transcoding problem with subtitle on".

Regards and good work in hoping to find a solution as soon as possible. I love Emby and I would be happy to continue to use it instead of Plex.

Hi.  In your situation, you are playing a very high bitrate video and your server simply may not be able to keep up.  Can we please see the ffmpeg log from this playback?

Try setting the max bitrate in the app to 20mb/s and see if that allows it to play smoothly.

fpezzino

Hi to everyone!

I'm sorry for the delay, but I was busy with my work.

I sended to you the logs directly from the Emby App in my Fire Stick TV 4k at about 11:02 AM of Italian local time (Then, about 16 minutes agò).

Here I attach some files about transcoding logs from the Emby Server on my QNAP NAS.

The file i played for test is the same that I already shard with you by my Google drive.

Other INFO:

User used to playback the files: Filippo

File played: The Equalizer 2 (2018) - TEST [4K UHD + SubPGS ON].mkv

I hope to hear news from you as soon as possible and to resolve this annoing issue.

Regards,

Filippo.

ffmpeg-transcode-3b8960c0-9aea-4b22-8ce7-e0d785120981_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-8c5fa4f7-519b-4ac8-b11f-1c1ba1c9552f_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-4564e052-7dcd-4636-a4fd-fe13e67c94f7_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-34660d6c-11a1-46fe-ad27-fc9cd17073a3_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-fd5891f3-5757-4cb1-babb-c1c92dee7ee6_1.txt

Edited by fpezzino

Okay, one issue is you are using a very old version of the app.  You should definitely update that.

My suspicion about your server not being fast enough to transcode this was correct, however:

fps= 13

So, while you need to update, it may not solve this issue.

fpezzino
On 2/2/2022 at 2:50 PM, ebr said:

Okay, one issue is you are using a very old version of the app.  You should definitely update that.

My suspicion about your server not being fast enough to transcode this was correct, however:

fps= 13

So, while you need to update, it may not solve this issue.

Do you refer to the Emby Server App or Client App?

Yes, my server is not so powerful to guarantee at least 25fps during transcoding, but the key point is that the movie must be played directly by Amazon Fire Stick TV 4k without any sort of transcoding.

In fact, Plex do no transcoding when I played that same video file with the same NAS Server and the same Fire Stick TV 4k.

I use Plex Server and Emby Server in the same NAS QNAP and Plex Player and Emby Player in the same Fire Stick TV 4k.

Thank you for your hard work.
I'm hoping that a solution is possible to be found.

Regards,
Filippo

fpezzino
On 2/6/2022 at 8:22 PM, ebr said:

Your Fire app is way out of date.  Please try updating it.

I noticed that for long time there is no updates for Emby Fire App directly from Amazon App Store.

Is there a version that can be downloaded offline and updated into the Amazon Fire Stick?

I ask this, because if I try to research for updates from the Fire Stick, it showed me no new Emby App available to download.

Thanks for the help.

Regards.

PS: what is the latest Emby Fire App version?

Edited by fpezzino