MB Server incorrectly parses titles for shows based on dates that also have 720p in the title

laserchicken

laserchicken

Hi,

I couldn't find this issue when searching so I hope it's not a duplicate.

Scenario:

I have some shows that make more sense to organize by date than by season/episode numbers. My formatting rules also append the quality to the end of the show title.

For example:

Some Daily Show - (2014-09-14) - Show Title Here - 720p

Expected:

MB Server determines what episode this is using the date 

Observed:

MB Server uses the 720p at the end to determine that this is episode 720 of the show and therefore shows the wrong information (usually none), places it in the wrong order (it's usually all jumbled and at the top) and is generally confusing. 

I've been using MB since MB2 and shows processed by that have metadata from that time frame show up correctly, it just seems that MB3 is parsing the titles incorrectly. Is this a known issue? Is there either [a] some way to fix this or  have MB Server ignore the 720p at the end? I remember that MB2 would ignore text in square brackets [], is there a way to add values to this list of text to omit (assuming MB3 does the same thing)? Does it do this omission before parsing the titles for episode information? Assuming this is still a feature, it might be helpful to have this functionality surfaced in the Server configuration. 

Thanks!

Edited by laserchicken

• 4 months later...
laserchicken

Hello again,

I hate to resurrect an ancient thread, but did this behavior change in a recent update? Over the last couple weeks or so, I've noticed that MediaBrowser no longer seems to be ignoring text enclosed within brackets (i.e. it now shows [720p] at the end of the filename) and is thus conflicting with the ordering of the shows (i.e. MediaBrowser thinks all episodes are episode number 720). 

If this has changed, is this bug or feature? If the latter, is there a workaround or an alternative method to achieve the desired behavior?

Thanks!

laserchicken

Sorry about that - I missed that pinned post.

Server Version: Version 3.0.5490.2

An example:

A couple weeks ago (sorry, don't have the version number), this was the behavior

Show filename:

• A Daily Show - (2015-01-15) - Episode Name - [720p].mkv

MediaBrowser displayed:

• A Daily Show - (2015-01-15) - Episode Name - .mkv

Which was perfect, as MediaBrowser picked up the date and ordered it properly.

Now, however, MediaBrowser does not omit the brackets "[...]" (i.e. just shows the original filename) and gets confused, thinking all episodes are episode number 720, and the order is all messed up (not to mention, it breaks the "Watch Next" feature in the standalone client). 

Hopefully that helps, please let me know if more information would be helpful. 

Thanks.

It is only displayed as the raw file name until it gets replaced with internet metadata.

The 720p is  not the problem and will not confuse MBS into thinking the episode number is 720. In fact, I just created an automated test to verify, and it correctly determines that this is a daily episode from the given date:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Naming/commit/e903614db1639561f1ac00fe9904da5a932c844e

The issue is that we do not yet fetch internet metadata for daily episodes. It is on our to do list. So that is why you're seeing the raw file name.

laserchicken

Very interesting. 

Here's a bit of what I'm seeing...

Shows that were added to the media library a couple months ago are displayed properly and in the correct order:

54ce974053232_OldBehavior2.png

(Interestingly, you can see the point at which [720p] was no longer being omitted, but the correct ordering was still applied.)

And the new behavior:

54ce96514c24e_NewBehavior.png

It's all jumbled and out of order. I do now see that it's not categorizing it as episode 720 as when I hit that issue before, it showed 720 - at the front. However, I haven't changed anything in the way that I name and organize my show, but the way MediaBrowser displays them has. The only thing I can think of is that it's a new year and the way I organize my date-based shows is indeed a little different. I sort them by:

Show Name\Year\Month

For example:

A Daily Show\2015\01 - January

I understand that this isn't fully supported and I can I live without all the metadata, but the sorting is quite strange. As it is, I'm not sure how I would be able to correct this. The sort by option is grayed out, perhaps it'd be helpful to have a "Sort by filename" option that's always available.

Thanks.

The 720p won't have anything to do with it. Chances are the episodes you added a few months ago have some incorrect metadata values, because at that time we didn't parse date information from the file name. So it may have incorrectly extracted episode numbers.

Now, we have moved the ball further. We do recognize that it is a daily episode and we don't try to get episode numbers out of the file name. But we haven't yet done the next step which is internet metadata. So right now that would be my guess.