Unable to install 4.6.7 to DSM 7.0

stuartgib

Thanks for trying that. It was sort of a long shot at working but does rule it out.

When you try to install a normal version that you would expect to load but doesn't, if you look at the Synology logs (they have an app for this) do you see anything at all?

Would you be up for a remote session where I can remote in with you and we can take a look at this together.  I can quickly look at a few things to see if any errors are recorded.

stuartgib

Just an "error" level log of "Failed to install package [Emby Server]." in Log Center. Is there more detailed logging available?

• 4 weeks later...
FrostByte

There are some Synology package logs in the following folder.  It records additional stuff that may not be in the emby logs or Log Center

/var/log/packages/

EmbyServer.log

You can see some of the stuff it recorded in my log below which includes the last couple of upgrades

https://pastebin.com/cakx89qN

stuartgib

Still unable to install the package.

All the logs in /var/log/packages/ seem to pre-date the upgrade to DSM 6.

• 1 month later...
stuartgib

same installation error for the package 4.6.7.0-704060700 via the synology package center

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, can you try the new 4.7.1 release and see if that helps? Thanks !

stuartgib

Very weirdly I get an error that my DSM package is pre 7.0-40000. I downloaded "emby-server-synology_4.7.1.0_armv7". Package Center is still 4.6.7.0-704060700.

image.png.176c894c00f50ab4ced6cc0845735136.png

image.png.97219c598e3aecca7f84311f9c018d48.png

FrostByte
57 minutes ago, stuartgib said:

Very weirdly I get an error that my DSM package is pre 7.0-40000. I downloaded "emby-server-synology_4.7.1.0_armv7". Package Center is still 4.6.7.0-704060700.

image.png.176c894c00f50ab4ced6cc0845735136.png

image.png.97219c598e3aecca7f84311f9c018d48.png

Is there a reason you're using the DSM 6 file?

DSM 7 file name is

emby-server-synology7_4.7.1.0_armv7.spk

• Like 1

stuartgib

I must have got mixed up on the download page, i thought the new version was the one called out. Either way the synology7 package has a much less interesting error.

image.png.e9c0e45116dc0524d734e0a72ffe735e.png

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...
1ch_h4lt

good evening,

i am running to the same issue on my rs1221+ (I upgraded a long time through several synologies....) at the moment I have my emby server running on a virtual machine but wanted to switch back to my new diskstation.

So as stuartgib, I am not able to install via package center and manually installing (emby-server-synology7_4.7.4.0_x86_64) runs to the same error as above.

As I already had emby working in DSM6 and uninstalled about a year ago... May some dependencies are still in place so the installer fails? /var/log/packages/EmbyServer.log last entry is from dsm6. Is there an other log file we may get some helpful ideas?

Other question in general: Does it make more sense to run emby on my Synology via docker or would native be the better approach?

Regards,

1ch_h4lt

Hi @1ch_h4lt 

You mention you can't install via package manage but try to manually install it.  How exactly did you try to manually install the package?

It sounds like you may be correct with the DSM 6 leftovers. If you like I could remote in and give you hand removing the old directories as I've done that about a dozen times since DSM 7 was released.  Should only take a few minutes and won't touch your VM.

Is the VM running Emby Server on the rs1221+
It's a true VM and not docker correct?

If you want to give this a shot send me a direct message (hover over my avatar and then send a message) and we'll set it up.

Carlo

1ch_h4lt

Hi @cayars,

Thanks for your help!

I tried to install Emby with the Package Manager within DSM. There, I also can upload a .spk what I tried additionally and didn't work ether.

My running version of Emby is installed on a Ubuntu VM on a esxi server. But we do not need to care about it.

For the DSM Installation Issues. May you can just give me the directories I need to clean up and I will give it another try. (I have access to the cli of the DSM)

Best Regards,

1ch_h4lt

8 hours ago, 1ch_h4lt said:

Hi @cayars,

Thanks for your help!

I tried to install Emby with the Package Manager within DSM. There, I also can upload a .spk what I tried additionally and didn't work ether.

My running version of Emby is installed on a Ubuntu VM on a esxi server. But we do not need to care about it.

For the DSM Installation Issues. May you can just give me the directories I need to clean up and I will give it another try. (I have access to the cli of the DSM)

Best Regards,

1ch_h4lt

What exactly happened when you tried?

41 minutes ago, 1ch_h4lt said:

It is the same behavior as stuardgib reported as he started this topic.

What was the exact message that you got?

1ch_h4lt

For installing from Synology Package Center it was:

"Unable to install "Emby Server". Please try again later or contact the package developer."

@1ch_h4lt Do you recall if you uninstalled Emby DSM 6 version before you upgraded the OS to DSM 7?

Are you running any apps that aren't from Synology?

When you ran Emby on this previously, how was the performance? Did you need to transcode often?
I ask because the 4 core AMD Ryzen V1500B has a passmark score of 4588 which is little better than the Intel Celeron J4125 as used in Synology + models  but doesn't include a GPU like  QuickSync on the J4125.

That means any transcoding can't be offloaded but has to be done in the CPU.  Here's a rough guide to what's needed for typical transcoding in CPU.

• 4K HDR (50Mbps, 10-bit HEVC) file: 17000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
  • 4K SDR (40Mbps, 8-bit HEVC) file: 12000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
  • 1080p (10Mbps, H.264) file: 2000 PassMark score
  • 720p (4Mbps, H.264) file: 1500 PassMark score

So it's not an "ideal" CPU to use for a media server where transcoding is needed. You're present system likely has a GPU of some kind already or could be added.
So just something to think about for long term usage.  How important this is to you all depends on your media and clients and how many streams you typically have at the same time.

Obviously not trying to talk you out of moving Emby back to this (even is just a spare server) but thought I'd throw that out there.

Are you able to get into the BIOS setup on the rs1221+?  If so I've got something you could try.

Can you please try installing 4.7.5 from our website and let us know if that helps? Thanks.