Increase Playback Buffer

schmuessla

schmuessla

Hi Guys,

my usecase is to use emby in the car while driving. The average bandwidth is far enough to handle a 5 MBit/s stream. But unfortunately there are dead zones or 2G fallbacks. While playing around it seems that emby is able to cache about 30 to 60 seconds, that's not enough.

How can I configure a buffer of 5 to 10 minutes?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi there, we don't currently have options for this as it's not even possible on some platforms. Best bet is to lower the in-app quality settings and then it will be able to pre-load more.

MBSki

The only other option is to download the music. This exact issue has frustrated me for years, but I finally gave up and just pre-downloaded the music. With the music downloaded I can start a playlist when connected and when I hot a dead zone it keeps playing because it starts using the local version. At least that's how it seems to work. What ever it's doing, there's no gaps. 😁

@Luke Can you update the playlist download so we can see the playlist in downloads rather than separated into the artists and albums?

MBSki
3 hours ago, schmuessla said:

I'm talking about video, not audio ^^

Sorry. It should work for either video or audio though.

• 2 weeks later...
RanmaCanada

If you're doing long trips I would suggest just to get a cheap laptop with some storage space and put a copy of emby server on there and have it be the server for your car (you may need a power invertor for those longer trips)?  The other option would be any one of the wifi hard drives that were designed for this exact thing.