Add setting to show metadata as written

bblackmoor

bblackmoor

Please add  a toggle or setting for Emby to just display the titles as they are set in the metadata. No title-rewriting, no trying to be "smart" -- just show the metadata as it is written in the file.

(And really, I think that ought to be the default, but that's just my opinion.)

See also: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/104266-emby-ignoring-parts-of-video-titlesfile-names/

Spaceboy

not sure why you've opened a new thread. the reaon why your files arent shown as named in the other thread is because you have used naming for multi versions. i doubt this will be changed. otherwise - you were given the correct guidance in the other thread

File names aren't really considered metadata but, other than the multi-version/part naming collisions you had, I believe the below is what  you are asking for.

bblackmoor
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

File names aren't really considered metadata but, other than the multi-version/part naming collisions you had, I believe the below is what  you are asking for.

I'll copy and paste my request here, since it appears that you've mis-read it:

"Please add a toggle or setting for Emby to just display the titles as they are set in the metadata."

This is not a request for the file name to be displayed. This is a request for the metadata in the file be displayed. For example, if the "title" field in the metadata says "RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 02 (Matthew And Ian)", I would very much like it if Emby displays that, rather than some well-intentioned (but wrong) re-write.

And again, I really think this ought to be the default. If the file has metadata, the normal and expected behaviour would be for Emby to show the metadata from the file.

Edited by bblackmoor

22 minutes ago, bblackmoor said:

"Please add a toggle or setting for Emby to just display the titles as they are set in the metadata."

Okay, then I think we already have this.

Go to the library and slide the "Advanced" slider.  Now check "Prefer embedded titles..."

bblackmoor
24 minutes ago, ebr said:

Go to the library and slide the "Advanced" slider.  Now check "Prefer embedded titles..."

Nope. I already tried that. It made no difference.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, bblackmoor said:
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

Nope. I already tried that. It made no difference.

Actually, it is a per library option but depends on the full picture.  The other option is used in a different area.

Prefer embedded titles over filenames

This determines the default display title when no internet metadata or local metadata is available.

Once local metadata exist the "Title" field will be used.

bblackmoor
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Once local metadata exist the "Title" field will be used.

It should be, absolutely. I agree 100%. Thus, this feature request.

Add an option so that if the "title" field is populated, Emby will display it. Just display it.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, bblackmoor said:

It should be, absolutely. I agree 100%. Thus, this feature request.

Add an option so that if the "title" field is populated, Emby will display it. Just display it.

That actually means existing metadata not embedded metadata.

So if I add "RiffTrax Presents Everything Sucks" that is what I get, unless other metadata exists.

image.png.5092f802b6d44b40a8682e64b4ef7745.png

But existing library rules will always apply like Muli-verioning and File Stacking.  So it is on your naming scheme avoid these hard coded rules.

• Like 1

bblackmoor
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

That actually means existing metadata not embedded metadata.

So if I add "RiffTrax Presents Everything Sucks" that is what I get, unless other metadata exists.

image.png.5092f802b6d44b40a8682e64b4ef7745.png

But existing library rules will always apply like Muli-verioning and File Stacking.  So it is on your naming scheme avoid these hard coded rules.

The metadata exists. The metadata existed before the file was uploaded to my media server, and before Emby scanned it. It exists. Emby doesn't display it. Thus, the feature request:

Add an option so that if the video has metadata, Emby displays that metadata.

Happy2Play

Actually, there is a defect in 4.6 and early 4.7 betas of "part" items disappearing but know it is resolved in 4.7.0.18+.  Will like the post if I find it.

From home video library in 4.7.0.19 Emby used filename as no other metadata exists.

image.thumb.png.fe623cf0993eb3df9a6a723cae393b3c.png

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, bblackmoor said:

The metadata exists. The metadata existed before the file was uploaded to my media server, and before Emby scanned it. It exists. Emby doesn't display it. Thus, the feature request:

Add an option so that if the video has metadata, Emby displays that metadata.

Would need that information to test with but have never seen Emby ignore existing metadata.

Happy2Play

As from the defect mentioned above believe it goes back to this topic.

bblackmoor
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

As from the defect mentioned above believe it goes back to this topic.

Thank you. That is great to know. I still think my request is a good one, but I am glad that the worst part of the rewrite problem was a legitimate bug.

Happy2Play

But would need to see existing metadata for specific example as Emby will use existing metadata first.