Emby ignoring parts of video titles/file names

bblackmoor

bblackmoor

I am having a strange problem with Emby not reading parts of file names and/or embedded titles. I feel like this must be some built-in behaviour that is confused by the names of my videos. Here are some examples of the files names/video titles, and what Emby displays.

"RiffTrax - 1990 Bronx Warriors" ...displays as... "RiffTrax"

"RiffTrax - xXx (2002)" ...displays as... "RiffTrax"

"RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 01 (Matthew And Ian)" ...displays as... "RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 01 (Matthew And Ian)"

"RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 02 (Matthew And Ian)" ...displays as... nothing. Emby does not display it at all. 😕

I see that "Terror From The Year 5000 (1958)" displays as "Terror From The Year 5000". I was thinking that maybe if I put the year at the end of the file name/title, that Emby would focus on that and leave the rest of the title alone, but than I noticed that "RiffTrax - xXx (2002)" displays as "RiffTrax", so that busts that theory.

Is there some setting to get Emby to not try and parse the file names/video titles? I don't need it to. All I need is for it to just show the metadata in the file, and play the video. I don't need it to be "smart".

Thanks.

Edit: I have checked, and the file ownership and permissions are the same across all of my video files. I am currently on Version 4.6.7.0. "Emby Server is up to date"

Edit: I have re-scanned the library files via the Emby config web page. No difference.

Edited by bblackmoor

Happy2Play

Is your media in their own folders or all media in a folder (flat structure)?

Ideally Emby queries foldername not filename, but that depends on structure.

For the first two best guess would be misidentification and three/four would be (file stacking) do to naming scheme.  So part 2 should be shown as an addition part.

But in the end Emby will not be able to identify this preceding "RiffTrax - " and would have to be manually identified and will cause a lot of misidentifications.  There is no option to exclude everything before in this case.

bblackmoor
36 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But in the end Emby will not be able to identify this preceding "RiffTrax - " and would have to be manually identified and will cause a lot of misidentifications.  There is no option to exclude everything before in this case.

I do not need or want Emby to "identify" anything. Just to show the files and play them.

However, I just found the setting "Embedded track title display". That sounds like exactly what I want. I set it to "Prefer embedded titles", then re-scanned the library. That made no difference, but it also finished suspiciously fast, so I kept looking for more settings, and found the "Refresh Metadata" command under the Videos library. So I ran that with "Replace all metadata" and "Replace existing images" (just in case).

That took a satisfyingly long time.

Sadly, it made no difference.

How do I just turn off Emby's attempt to "identify" things? I do not need that. I just need it to show the files, and play them. Reading the metadata is nice (I went to the trouble of populating it), but not if it gets in the way of the main thing I want, which is for it to show the files, and play them.

Thanks.

Edit: I mean, one video (that I have found so far) doesn't even display, much less have the title which is set in both the metatadata and the file name.

Edited by bblackmoor

bblackmoor
42 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Is your media in their own folders or all media in a folder (flat structure)?

Oh, to answer your question, the folder structure is generally alphabetical. For example, the path to "RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 02 (Matthew And Ian)" (which does not show in Emby at all) is ...

/home/bblackmoor/Videos/R/RiffTrax/_RiffTrax Presents/RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 02 (Matthew And Ian).mp4

"Videos" is the root of my video library in Emby.

Edited by bblackmoor

bblackmoor

I found the Metadata Manager screen, which allows me to correct the titles that Emby gets wrong. So that's great!

I still do not know why "RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 02 (Matthew And Ian)" is not even displaying, particularly since "RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 01 (Matthew And Ian)" displays and plays perfectly. Any ideas?

Edit: I checked the codecs, but they are the same. Both are "Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)". And as I mentioned above, the file ownership and permissions are the same, as well.

Edited by bblackmoor

seanbuff
1 hour ago, bblackmoor said:

Is there some setting to get Emby to not try and parse the file names/video titles? I don't need it to. All I need is for it to just show the metadata in the file, and play the video. I don't need it to be "smart".

28 minutes ago, bblackmoor said:

I do not need or want Emby to "identify" anything. Just to show the files and play them.

If you truly don't want Emby to try and identify anything, and just list them as-is -- then I would create a library with the type of "Home videos & photos"
This way there are no external metadata provider lookups involved.

When navigating that view, you will have Video or Folder view and nothing else.

image.png.0ccab021d6c110030d7037cd04cfb014.png

Try that and see how you go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

bblackmoor
15 hours ago, seanbuff said:

If you truly don't want Emby to try and identify anything, and just list them as-is -- then I would create a library with the type of "Home videos & photos"
This way there are no external metadata provider lookups involved.

Splendid! That kept Emby from trying to impose the wrong title on videos with years in the title (e.g., "RiffTrax - 1990 Bronx Warriors"). However, it is still showing the wrong title for these videos:

RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 01 (Matthew And Ian) ...displays as... RiffTrax Presents - Veil (Matthew And Ian)

RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 02 (Matthew And Ian) ...displays as... nothing. Does not show at all.

The file name says "RiffTrax Presents - Veil Part 01 (Matthew And Ian).mp4", and the metadata is the exact same thing (minus the ".mp4"). It seems that Emby is still trying to be "smart", and omitting the "Part 01" and "Part 02".

I don't want to appear ungrateful, because I am not: Emby is terrific, and I am grateful to have it. But shouldn't showing the files and playing them be the main priority? Is it possible to make it just do that, rather than try to show a title other than the title which is in the file name and the metadata? Why is it doing this extraneous title-rewriting? The title is right there. All it has to do is read it and show it.

image.png.fd93529e3eecfdedfaa7a887cd03bc88.png

image.png.1ef2893753761d7c04e8bcc592e51868.png

bblackmoor

Changing the library type to "Home videos" also fixed the weird bug where it was displaying "RiffTrax - xXx (2002)" as "RiffTrax". Thanks! 👍

bblackmoor

I removed the word "Part" from the file name and the metadata title of the two "Veil" movies, and now Emby displays them:

RiffTrax Presents - Veil 01 (Matthew And Ian)

RiffTrax Presents - Veil 02 (Matthew And Ian)

However, the word "Part" is actually part of the title, and I don't think I should need to alter the title of a video in order to get Emby to display it.

Rewriting the titles of videos is clearly intended functionality, for ... reasons, I assume. What would be the best way to request a toggle or setting for Emby to just display the titles as they are set in the metadata?

Edit: I created a feature request for that. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/104290-add-setting-to-show-metadata-as-written/

Thanks for the help and advice.

Edited by bblackmoor

Hi.  The whole point of a system like Emby is to apply some intelligence to your media files and bring in rich metadata for viewing.  Your naming matches some of our conventions for things like multiple versions and multiple parts which is why you thought some of the items weren't showing.  They were - just not where you expected them.

As suggested above, using the Home Videos type will probably display mostly as you expect but some of those other features (based on naming) are still available there.  We aren't just a file browser.  I think if you would follow some simple naming and organization rules and let Emby do what it does, you might find you like it... or you can use home videos and continue on as you are.

bblackmoor
14 minutes ago, ebr said:

The whole point of a system like Emby is to apply some intelligence to your media files and bring in rich metadata for viewing.

Okay. That being the case, do you know of an application similar to Emby, but which has the "whole point" of showing video files stored on a media server, and playing them on a Roku box? I had assumed that was the "whole point" of Emby, but if it's not, I am certainly open to alternatives. (I have tried Plex, but it is burdened by a mountain of extraneous complications I have no use or desire for.)

seanbuff
4 hours ago, bblackmoor said:

Is it possible to make it just do that, rather than try to show a title other than the title which is in the file name and the metadata? Why is it doing this extraneous title-rewriting? The title is right there. All it has to do is read it and show it.

4 hours ago, bblackmoor said:

What would be the best way to request a toggle or setting for Emby to just display the titles as they are set in the metadata?

Have you experimented with this option when you view 'Advanced' settings for that library?

image.png.574950053f9d384dd409bced0aedd3d5.png

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Have you experimented with this option when you view 'Advanced' settings for that library?

image.png.574950053f9d384dd409bced0aedd3d5.png

Yes but would need to see what local metadata exists.  As I can only guess the nfo or import has changed the name.

Example as 4.7.0.19 shows this in Home Video.

image.thumb.png.5ddce4b5f2cc2bc0e33d80a095422a7c.png

But as mentioned in the other topic, there is a slight defect of "Part" (File Stacking naming) that will not display addition items.

We need a complete breakdown of what metadata the item has (embedded and or nfo), and library type and library options enabled unless Home Video as we know it has no providers.

bblackmoor

It looks a major part of my complaint (the Veil videos) was caused by an actual bug, which is supposed to be fixed in the next version. The rest is fixable with the "Metadata Manager" screen, so I'm as pleased as punch.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, everyone.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

Not sure what happened for you but with my limited testing in 4.6.7.0.  I am not seeing an issue.

Movie library with everything disabled.

image.png.2f8ece3146df5031ce5fd994a45fb30c.png

image.thumb.png.d271ed23ceac3d6ef614eef6c5de0d19.png

image.thumb.png.8489b7f8e809d2c7807cb85035194a5c.png

Then tested giving files a random name, ensure item has embedded Title and setting to use file embedded title.

image.png.6a6b0d6ce93e6eac8f4a13f4adc8f79b.png

image.thumb.png.dbaeceda69318ef8c06c11d218640ac1.png

But note this test was limited to these to specific files.

So there would appear to be something missing in my testing method as I cannot currently reproduce what you are seeing unless overall structure is playing a difference.

But adding "RiffTrax - 1990 Bronx Warriors" with to the library set to embedded showed as "RiffTrax" (do to no embedded Title) but adding embedded title showed "RiffTrax - 1990 Bronx Warriors".

Can only assume me testing in Movie content type will provide different results as it will have different parsing methods then Home Videos.

So from my limited testing I am guessing we do not have all the initial variables.

Edited by Happy2Play

bblackmoor
13 minutes ago, Luke said:

@bblackmoor has this helped?

It looks a major part of my complaint (the Veil videos) was caused by an actual bug, which is supposed to be fixed in the next version. The rest is fixable with the "Metadata Manager" screen, so yes, this helped.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, everyone.

• Thanks 1