Album cover artwork not appearing

instrumentally

instrumentally

I have the latest versions of Emby server (Windows) and the mobile Emby app for Android.  I notice that very frequently (perhaps 20-30% of the time), the album cover artwork fails to show up on the Emby Android app, despite the fact that: 1) The source mp3 file on the server has a valid album cover art embedded in the mp3 file, and 2) The Windows Emby server shows the album cover artwork properly under the following categories: "Songs," "Albums" and "Last Played".

What's up with that?

Edited by instrumentally

instrumentally

Also, another bug... (perhaps)...

50% of my MP3 files fail to show the ID3 Artist name and Track name on the Android player.  Instead, the filename appears (minus the extension).

IOW, what I would expect to see:

Album cover art image

Track name
Artist name

But instead, I get...

Album cover art image (it's a toss up whether the actual embedded image appears or not, see previous posting)

Rolling Stores - Greatest Hits - Paint it Black.mp3

Edited by instrumentally

instrumentally

Another bug to report...

On the Android app, on a Pixel 6 Pro (Android 12), sometimes the tracks fail to play, despite the appear showing jumping volume bars overtop where the album art is supposed to be.  Here's a video showing the problem: https://youtu.be/xQ8qe_JRCDY

There's nothing wrong with the mp3 files, for blowing away/terminating the Android app and relaunching it causes the playback of the mp3 files to work fine.

5 hours ago, instrumentally said:

I have the latest versions of Emby server (Windows) and the mobile Emby app for Android.  I notice that very frequently (perhaps 20-30% of the time), the album cover artwork fails to show up on the Emby Android app, despite the fact that: 1) The source mp3 file on the server has a valid album cover art embedded in the mp3 file, and 2) The Windows Emby server shows the album cover artwork properly under the following categories: "Songs," "Albums" and "Last Played".

What's up with that?

Hi there, can you please show us an example? Thanks.

5 hours ago, instrumentally said:

Also, another bug... (perhaps)...

50% of my MP3 files fail to show the ID3 Artist name and Track name on the Android player.  Instead, the filename appears (minus the extension).

IOW, what I would expect to see:

Album cover art image

Track name
Artist name

But instead, I get...

Album cover art image (it's a toss up whether the actual embedded image appears or not, see previous posting)

Rolling Stores - Greatest Hits - Paint it Black.mp3

Hi, can you please show us an example of this? Thanks.

instrumentally

If you view the video that I linked to, and jump to the 45 second mark, you will see in the video the following tracks listed...

Ed Gerhard - ...

Chet Atkins - ...

Freddie King - ...

Enam & Friends  - ...

These are instances where the filename is appearing (minus the .mp3) file rather than a two-lined caption.

instrumentally

And yet another bug....

When I am in the Android app, and choose the GENRES category, I have one named PSALMS, and when I choose that GENRE, there is one item which when tapped on, behaves like an album.  See  https://youtu.be/v12sP8V3_04  .  Yet none of the tracks in this supposed "18 Greatest Grieg" "album" under GENRE: PSALMS has anything to do with the GENRE "PSALMS".  The video will pan from the phone device to my Windows Desktop where you will see how the only 2 items in my MediaMonkey collection with "18 Greatest Grieg" has nothing to do with this "PSALMS" genre.

Happy2Play
23 minutes ago, instrumentally said:

And yet another bug....

When I am in the Android app, and choose the GENRES category, I have one named PSALMS, and when I choose that GENRE, there is one item which when tapped on, behaves like an album.  See  https://youtu.be/v12sP8V3_04  .  Yet none of the tracks in this supposed "18 Greatest Grieg" "album" under GENRE: PSALMS has anything to do with the GENRE "PSALMS".  The video will pan from the phone device to my Windows Desktop where you will see how the only 2 items in my MediaMonkey collection with "18 Greatest Grieg" has nothing to do with this "PSALMS" genre.

Doesn't matter what any program shows we need to see what ffprobe provides Emby for those tracks.  Can you show all embedded tag for the track.

But from your video it is hard to follow and sound like your tracks are possibly missing required info.  Timestamp 3:20 "it is almost like it is making this an album", Highly possible as all tracks require Album and Artists/AlbumArtist.

instrumentally
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you show all embedded tag for the track.

I don't know what "the track" you are referring to.  As you clarified, these items under the GENRE > PSALMS are not individual tracks, but evidently albums. 

instrumentally
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

But from your video it is hard to follow and sound like your tracks are possibly missing required info.

I'm not sure what is so hard to follow.  Go to EMBY > MUSIC > GENRE > PSALMS > 18 GREATEST GRIEG > shows about 2 dozen tracks where 98% of the tracks have absolutely nothing to do with "18 Greatest Grieg" or the GENRE "PSALMS".  

Then in that video I cut/pan to MediaMonkey and do a field search for "18 GREATEST GRIEG" and only 2 tracks show up. I then show the ID3 tag data for those 2 tracks.  The word "PSALM" appears nowhere in the ID3 tag fields for those 2 tracks.

Here's a new video, this taken from Microsoft Edge, showing the same issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=635zEJhQb-E

Edited by instrumentally

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, instrumentally said:

I don't know what "the track" you are referring to.  As you clarified, these items under the GENRE > PSALMS are not individual tracks, but evidently albums. 

Emby is almost completely tag driven, the only way to identify what Emby is doing is to see the embedded metadata for the specific track.  Also note Emby uses ffprope to read the embedded information so it can be different than what you see in your tagging software.

Genre presents Albums with said Genre, clicking on an item takes you to that Album ie no longer Genre view.

But cannot really tell from the video of all the additional information attached to this specific Album "18 Greatest Grieg".

Any chance you can PM those two tracks to see if I can see what is going on?

Happy2Play

Technically Album with PSalms genre, but why additional tracks/artists are linked to this Album is another story.

image.png.c468ffe2e4689b91256a080859995953.png

But here shows a disconnect as there is no AlbumArtist

image.png.f33eca6908cdd85f6e2ca4a2d7fd20d7.png

So I am guessing do to embedded info Emby is merging a lot of info as folder structure is not used.

Also guessing you would need to apply specific AA or as Various Artist/VA.  All tracks require Album and AlbumArtist to properly be displayed and linked.

instrumentally

I rarely use "Album artist".  The tags I populate are:

Title
Artist
Album
Genre

My tracks are named:

%Artist% - %Album% - %Title%.mp3

I don't use folders.  All 18,000 of my tracks are in a single folder.

Why doesn't EMBY simply use the GENRE field from the ID3 tag?

Edited by instrumentally

6 minutes ago, instrumentally said:

I rarely use "Album artist".  The tags I populate are:

Title
Artist
Album
Genre

My tracks are named:

%Artist% - %Album% - %Title%.mp3

I don't use folders.  All 18,000 of my tracks are in a single folder.

Why doesn't EMBY simply use the GENRE field from the ID3 tag?

We do use the genre field.

26 minutes ago, instrumentally said:

I'm not sure what is so hard to follow.  Go to EMBY > MUSIC > GENRE > PSALMS > 18 GREATEST GRIEG > shows about 2 dozen tracks where 98% of the tracks have absolutely nothing to do with "18 Greatest Grieg" or the GENRE "PSALMS".  

Then in that video I cut/pan to MediaMonkey and do a field search for "18 GREATEST GRIEG" and only 2 tracks show up. I then show the ID3 tag data for those 2 tracks.  The word "PSALM" appears nowhere in the ID3 tag fields for those 2 tracks.

Here's a new video, this taken from Microsoft Edge, showing the same issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=635zEJhQb-E

To correct this, ensure each track is correctly tagged with album and albumartist values.

instrumentally

I am not about to go through and tag 18,000 tracks with mostly redundant data that is already found in the ARTIST field.  It makes no sense.

Neither does it make sense for EMBY to list tracks under GENRE "PSALMS" where the GENRE for those tracks are "Classical" or "Bluegrass" or "Guitar" or "Folk".

instrumentally

I wish you would have an option to turn off album grouping.  I'd much rather have a list of individual tracks displayed under GENRES rather than albums.  Grouping into albums just complicates things. 

instrumentally
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

It's due to the album grouping, not anything related to genes.

There is something wrong with the coding logic if the GENRE field in the ID3 tag is ignored when compiling the albums.  Surely there has to be a way for the code to double check the GENRE ID3 tag before adding it to an Album collection.   Don't add a track with genre "X" to ANYTHING under GENRE "Y" or GENRE "Z", etc.

Edited by instrumentally

Each track gets it's own genres based on the embedded tags.

The album then gets all genres from all tracks that it contains. You're looking at the album screen. Not every track will have every single one of those genres.

Happy2Play

This all comes down to what tags Emby looks at and the order of precedence.

As there is technically a mismatch of information in just these two tracks.

Album and MBZALBUMID are mismatched

Artist and MBZARTISTID are mismatched

No AlbumArtist but differing MBZALBUMARISTID

image.png

image.png

With this information Emby will never show this as one grouped Album do to MBZ data.

So with Emby prioritizing MBZ over regular Album/Artist/AlbumArtist tags grouping will/can be chaotic.

instrumentally

You're looking at the album screen

Well, yeah...one has no choice.  Albums are all that EMBY gives the user when they are under GENRE.  That's one of my gripes.  Why force albums on the user?  Why not just list individual tracks, tracks that match the GENRE that the user selected.  As an option, this doesn't seem like rocket science to pull this off.

You are grouping tracks into albums using MBZAlbum data which the user did not input and are ignoring the ID3 GENRE tag, and the tags that the user entered, such as ALBUM and ARTIST.

Not every track will have every single one of those genres.

Your statement above isn't clear.  I don't know what "every track" is supposed to be referring to.  "Every track" in my entire media collection?  "Every track" in GENRE "X"?  "Every track" under an album under a GENRE?

instrumentally

Where is all this MBZ.... data coming from?  I am not entering this data in MediaMonkey.  Nor can I see any MBZ... data in Mediamonkey.

Edited by instrumentally

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, instrumentally said:

Where is all this MBZ.... data coming from?  I am not entering this data in MediaMonkey.  Nor can I see any MBZ... data in Mediamonkey.

Never used MediaMonkey but they already exist on the tracks you provided.

mp3tag shown above and Picard see these existing tags.

image.png.1f7d304c6e154747d6804732f6a88567.png

image.png.6bb547c7bcd690f8e0943262b295de63.png

instrumentally

Changing subjects...

On the server, Manage Emby Server > Server > Advanced: Scheduled Tasks...

The HELP button fails to explain what EACH of the tasks are that can be found there.  For example, what is "Convert media" all about?  What media is being converted?  Is EMBY messing with my media in my library?  What about "Transfer media"?  Transferring media from where to where?  None of this is mentioned in the help file.

Also, "Scan media library" has "Scans your media library and refreshes metadata based on configuration".  But I've looked high and low, and can't find any "configuration" related to the refresh frequency.