Playback Error No compatible streams are currently available.

Pignuuu
Go to solution Solved by CassTG,

Hi, I recently encountered a issue where trying to play certain videos on my server will return in the same error. "No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details." I have used Emby for a few months and I haven't encountered this issue up until now. These videos were downloaded from the internet and it seems like only a certain group of the files give out this error which leads me to believe there is an issue with the file being in a certain format or something like it. I have enabled Debug Logging and I got this back. If it is of any help.ffmpeg-directstream-967d37ed-df77-4a2e-a7f1-d3ecf46644a1_1.txt I looked at the file info of one file that doesn't work and one that works and they seem to be different which may be causing the issue if so how would I go about fixing this. Thanks for your time.
 image.png.3e23d089f384e81ef29eeea58bd78118.png

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am trying to view this on the web app, doesn't work for either Desktop or Mobile.

Edited by Pignuuu
Forgot to mention something

• Solution

Do they play in the mobile app?

Im no expert at ffmpeg but the error it throws (max resync size reached, could not find sync byte ts)  comes up in google many times regarding poor rip and missing a certain key (A sync byte error is when the first byte of a TS packet does not contain the value 0x47) , but i could be way off the mark. I presume it forces transcode as the profile 5.2 is not natively supported in most browsers (again i could be wrong and usually am lol)

Be interesting to see if it plays in the app.

Take a look at this guys explanation of levels and then you can see why that encoding choice for the first file is so off

usuefull h264 level explanation

I.e Level 5.2 is reserved for really high frame rates (which the file isn't) and or really high bitrates (which again it is not) so why did they pick 5.2?

Edited by CassTG

6 minutes ago, CassTG said:

Do they play in the mobile app?

Im no expert at ffmpeg but the error it throws (max resync size reached, could not find sync byte ts)  comes up in google many times regarding poor rips and missing a certain key (A sync byte error is when the first byte of a TS packet does not contain the value 0x47) , but i could be way off the mark. I presume it forces transcode as it's not natively support in chrome etc (i get that with quite a few level 5.2 files)

Be interesting to see if it plays in the app.

I downloaded the app and tested. It did work there. Do you know of any potential fixes for this? It's quite a bummer since I do all my viewing on the website.

Edited by Pignuuu

Just now, Pignuuu said:

I downloaded the app and tested and it did work there. Do you know of any way to potential fix for this? It's quite a bummer since I do all my viewing on the website.

Yes, first i updated my response and now my recommendations

a) Download Handbrake and convert the file to something more common

b) Avoid level 5.2 stuff as it really makes no diff stick to 4.x level stuff which has better compatibility

c) rip your own Dvd's and Blu-Rays hell Laserdisc if ya like,  as thats the right thing to do 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CassTG said:

Yes, first i updated my response and now my recommendations

a) Download Handbrake and convert the file to something more common

b) Avoid level 5.2 stuff as it really makes no diff stick to 4.x level stuff which has better compatibility

c) rip your own Dvd's and Blu-Rays hell Laserdisc if ya like,  as thats the right thing to do 😁

I'll definitely try this but I assume there isn't any in app way of doing this? As the files uploaded here aren't "controlled by me" since me and my friends just dump all our movies on here. So converting them all manually could be tedious to do. Unless I find a way to convert them automatically. 

5 minutes ago, Pignuuu said:

I'll definitely try this but I assume there isn't any in app way of doing this? As the files uploaded here aren't "controlled by me" since me and my friends just dump all our movies on here. So converting them all manually could be tedious to do. Unless I find a way to convert them automatically. 

Thing is how many of them are 5.2 level profile, you said yourself that the level 4.x played fine, it is very unlikely that you will have many 5.2, so you could just use Emby's convert feature built in, select that file and click convert then use the following settings which will kind of match the original file

• Original media Folder next to existing
  • Profile = Custom
  • Container = Mp4 (works better for browsers)
  • Codec = h264
  • Audio = AAC
  • Quality = 4Mbps or Custom and match

Obviously you will need either

• Write access to the original folder
  • And have Convert Access on your Emby instance

Alas you cant filter movies by profile on Emby, but you could fire up a docker instance of Tdarr, let it scan your library, filter it by level 5.x files, you will then see how big of an issue you have and either do it yourself or  let it transcode it for you, however it is a nightmare to set up but once you are used to the layout it will be the best automation tool

Edited by CassTG

18 minutes ago, CassTG said:

Thing is how many of them are 5.2 level profile, you said yourself that the level 4.x played fine, it is very unlikely that you will have many 5.2, so you could just use Emby's convert feature built in, select that file and click convert then use the following settings which will kind of match the original file

• Original media Folder next to existing
  • Profile = Custom
  • Container = Mp4 (works better for browsers)
  • Codec = h264
  • Audio = AAC
  • Quality = 4Mbps or Custom and match

Obviously you will need either

• Write access to the original folder
  • And have Convert Access on your Emby instance

Alas you cant filter movies by profile on Emby, but you could fire up a docker instance of Tdarr, let it scan your library, filter it by level 5.x files, you will then see how big of an issue you have and either do it yourself or  let it transcode it for you, however it is a nightmare to set up but once you are used to the layout it will be the best automation tool

Well... apparently just refreshing the metadata fixed the issue...

1 minute ago, Pignuuu said:

Well... apparently just refreshing the metadata fixed the issue...

Interesting whats the file on the left appearing as now still 5.0