Setting up two synology 220+ nas with emby on both need help!!!

Larksaw
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Going to be working on new project first part is setting up new synology 220+  total 8tb driving for emby server.  But before I install emby need few answers, what I'm looking to do is setup and learn full setup on home media server.  Second part will be a second 220+ 8tb for the rv for times when there will be no internet available.

Now the question, how to take complete setup from first one and copy it to second one?         Or is its easier to just to go through entire setup again?    How complicated would it be to copy everything over?

Hi, you should be able to use the Migration Assistant app Synology has in their package store. I've never used it so I can't give first hand experience but that's what this app is designed to do. You install it on the destination device according to the description.  After you have the initial copy done I would remove this and then install once of the sync tools from the package center.  This could then do two-way syncs between your two NAS or just one way depending on the transfer you setup. This would allow you to easily copy only new movies and shows from your 1st to the 2nd NAS automatically.

I don't know how you have your drives configured but normally with only 2 disks you would use them in a mirror setup if loss of data was important to you. That only gives you half the storage of what's installed.  If you have two NAS kept in sync you technically only have 1/4 of the purchased storage available (assuming both are mirrored). Being that you have two of these units if you keep them in sync with each other you actually could do a RAID 0 on both which reads/writes half the data to each drive giving you roughly double the IO throughput but without a duplicate or parity drive.  But since you would be keeping two different NAS in sync you have your redundant source.

They can both be upgraded from 2 to 6 GB of memory which will make a difference if you haven't done this yet.  You can purchase the RAM sticks from Amazon really cheap. $35 or so to upgrade both.  I just checked real quick and found them for $17.95 each and that was the first item that appeared so you likely could find them cheaper yet.

When running these on your LAN use both Ethernet ports and set the bonding to "Balance-SLB" if you don't have a smart switch like in this picture I just took off my NAS.
image.png.4567cebdc1e1db1f69683568a314cf43.png

Without a smart switch using SLB mode it's not a true 2000 Mbps. A single transfer can't get 2000 but 2 or more connections together can. That's always useful if you are doing a copy to or from the NAS while someone else is streaming from it. Otherwise your transfer could crowd out the streaming by hogging up the bandwidth. This "upgrade" should be a no brainer if you have an extra open port on the switch or router.

Keep us updated on how you make out getting these both working.  If you need some guidance don't be afraid to ask as there are a lot of Synology users in the forums.

Hi,   Well this is going to be a new learning experience.   Right now all our movie/tv shows are running on wd mycloud personal 4tb, with all movies/tv shows backed up to two back drives.   Wd is still working but light on front doesn't work anymore, and its screaming for firmware update dont want to do update with fear of crash.   In comes the new synology 220+ it will have 2 4tb drives setup as 1 volume no raid because I'm not afraid of losing my movies/tv shows.    

Using the mycloud personal was easy drop the mp4 into shared folder use infuse as client an we were good for many years.   220+ with emby seems like a different setup all together so learning time.   

This is why I asked for help lot more setting up to do with 220+/emby and how complicated it will be to setup second one for RV.   They will be running completely independent of one another.    The one in RV will most likely not have much internet access so syncing is probably not necessary, once initial setup is complete on both adding movies/tv shows will be most likely few at a time.

Once I get first 220+/emby setup I'm going to update firmware on mycloud personal then if it crashes, we are still good for watching our videos, and if it doesn't we have 220+ for the RV.  If it crashes that's where my original question what is easiest way to duplicate second 220+/emby?

Sorry I guess I should have explained more.

Ram will be 6gb

@cayars

What I'd suggest is not touch the WD at all for now.  Get the first 220+ setup, working and tested, then sync/migrate it to the 2nd 220+.
Once you have that second copy of media on the other 220+, then do the firmware update on the WD.  That way you have two copies of media before tempting fate with the WD firmware update. Doubt it would be an issue but there's no need to rush that at this point, not for a few days difference.

My bad, I just assumed since the 220+ is easy to pickup and move around at will (I know my 4 bay 920+ is) that you would be able to bring it in the house once in a while to sync content. That could be once a week or once a month depending on how often you're adding media and/or feel the need to get a copy.  I didn't realize you also had the WD.  Is that going to be your backup (at least, of media you don't want to loose)?

If you like after you get it hooked up I could do a 15 minute or so remote session with you to help you with a few system changes/configurations as well as setup of your drives. You're going to need to turn on certain protocols like CIFS and set permissions, creating shares on the Synology, etc in order to copy files from the WD.  Then there is installing Emby Server and setting permissions for it to access your newly copied files.  That would be a couple sessions in total as we would need to wait for the media to transfer.

This would give me a chance to help you so you don't need to struggle through things, as well as get some screen shots of going through the process from start to finish for a tutorial that could be helpful for others in the future. Of course I'd run all pics I'd like to use past you first, but none of them would have any personal info.

Cayars,

I just might take you up on the help!    As far as the WD and backups of files I have two other drives with files backed up, I learned that lesson long time ago.   An that was before TB drives especially when we are talking 4TB.    I have one backup drive hooked into usb of the WD and the other hooked to usb on router, the plan is to use the usb port on the 220+ and hookup usb backup drive to transfer files.  Hopefully that will work!

I found youtube videos for basic setup of the 220+ not sure If I want to setup Quick connect or not, and another for basic setup of emby.   At 62 years old is going to be an adventure!  LOL 

I'll keep you informed as I go, and the help is greatly appreciated!

All the 220+ hardware is here getting ready to setup nas

The video I'm using for the process, with the only thing not sure of is quickconnect.       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VIOjMvKMeM

The video I'm going to use for emby is        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esUb1Rd08MU   

Cayars,  not sure if this is what you had in mind to possibly help others.     But with myself being a novice to setting this all up I thought maybe I'd take this one step at a time and ask you folks if this is a good way to start?   Or would you folks recommend another option.

All your help is Greatly Appreciated!

If find.synology.com doesn't work in your browser you can look at your dhcp list on the router to see what IP it received.

For now skip the quick connect during setup.
Go for RAID 0 (no redundancy) to get some extra speed.  In your case with backups and another NAS you're fine this way.
Turn on Recycle BIN as one of your first steps.
Skip Encryption as you won't want this on.

I would create a Shared folder on your new volume called Media.  Then under Media create Movies, TVShows, Music, etc  That will give you a nice orderly layout for all of your media.

I only got a bit into the 2nd video before I closed it.  Do not follow that as it's wrong and no longer valid.
Go to https://emby.media/synology7-server.html and download the Emby package on your PC for 64 bit (first option).
Back in DSM open package center, click the manual install button top right. Choose the file you just downloaded and install it.
If you get an error about trusted publisher click the settings button top right and you should be able to change this here.

Cayars,

The link did not work I went to download page figured you wanted me to get this packet:  emby-server-synology7_4.6.7.0_x86_64 I downloaded it was going to do manual install until 220+ nas popped up with warning.  So I backed out and figured to be safe I'd ask.

All my media is on the 220+ only took approx 6 hours going through usb was getting average of 160mb/s

I made a shared folder named library and put all my media in there, should be ready for emby install, also setup ip address to static near the end of the addresses.

Am I missing anything?  or is emby install next step?

The link did work until somebody renamed the two Synology folders for DSM 6 & 7. ::)
But as you found it's always available on the download menu.

Go for it. Install through package manager.  It may give you a warning about 3rd party developers which is normal since Synology didn't write this.  It may require you to change an option in the settings (button next to manual install).

During the install you can add your Emby Connect username which is the same as your forum name.  One of the steps is to start adding your first library.  Skip this step as you can not do this yet. Continue the install under your done.  At that point in DSM 7 open Control Panel, click on Shared Folders, navigate to your new Library Folder.

Highlight Library folder, click the EDIT button up top. Click the permission tab in the center up top.
Switch to system internal user  in the drop down list box
You will now see the emby user listed on the left. Enable the the Read/Write column for that entry like this:
image.png.9b89bd8ce357d7f51e7bbd11f2e042f4.png

If you have any other shared folders besides your "Library" you need to give Emby read/write access to that folder as well.

Now you can add libraries from the Library menu option back in Emby Dashboard.

So how did you do the transfer.  You plugged in the WD directly to the Synology?  Did the WD show up as external drive on the Synology NAS?  How about the other way as well?  Could you see the Synology NAS from WD or didn't you look?

That's pretty cool as you got better performance sitting between single Ethernet and Dual Ethernet speeds.

cayars,

Well Done!   Everything is going great, emby is up have few metadata bugs but for most part all is good.

As far as transfer of media went I used my usb backup drive connected directly to 220+ usb.   I first thought to use the network, lol it came back with longer than a day, knew that wasnt going to work.

Thanks for the help! It was easier than I expected, is there anything else you recommend doing?

Alright, need a little understanding I tried to search through forum to see if this is an issue with the emby app for iphone.   

I installed the app yesterday on my iphone i used my Wan connection to setup app using my lan all worked fine, I turned off wifi turned on cellular opened app paid for app all was good.    I switch back and forth closing app each  time between wifi and cellular all was good.

Now getting up this morning before ready to leave open app on wifi try to play movie stream not available, logged out then back in same issue.  Then I switched to cellular all was good, switched back to wifi same no stream available.

I then deleted the app and reinstalled and all is well, do you folks have any idea what happened?

Update:

playback error

no compatible streams are currently available. please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.

GOT IT

IT DID IT AGAIN!

I resolved the issue!   When switching from cellular to local network I have to go to settings and find emby app, open it turn on local network then launch emby and it works.   but if i then go to cellular I need to go back in and turn it back off for cellular to work.

I have a feeling the app is getting confused by you switching the network back and forth.  It's still probably trying to use the wrong method.
What I'd suggest is wiping it and reset to use the cell network or remote access.  Reason being you hopefully won't be using the phone in your own LAN as you'll use a computer or other Emby app running on a dedicated client.

By setting up the app on your phone for now and only using it remote to your network it should just work and work and work. :)

Once you get some confidence it will always work this way, you can start to play a bit on your own wifi with it.

This is personal so take it for that.  I don't use Emby Connect for things like this that change.  Instead I'd hard code the remote or local IP and port into the apps and avoid the middle man. It just simplifies the process and removes one obstacle.  If you're WAN IP changes often, set it up using DDNS so you can use a name vs IP.  That way the DNS pointer gets updated any time your IP changes making remote access always possible.

If you do that, you remove the inherit delay Emby Connect has making your testing much harder.

Hope that makes sense.

BTW, congrats on a smooth migration.

I have the app setup for remote network.  I as well am not using emby connect, I figured out what is happening with the emby app, we normal do not leave cellular data turn on  we mostly connect by wifi, the app was looking for cellular an there was none.  Under setting in iphone scrolled down to emby  opened it, saw cellular was washed out and I Knew what was going on, so I turned on local network tried the app and bingo it worked.  Only thing is if I turn cellular on, I need to turn local off, works great!

Wan ip doesn't change very often, mainly when they have major network issue.

Big test is coming shortly heading to Walmart going to use their wifi and see what happens!  😃

I do the same thing on my phone so it doesn't use cell data when it's not needed.

Glad you got the figured out!

cayars.

I need a little, I have a few movies that need subtitles how is best way to go about doing this??     Infuse allows it through the app but emby app is different.  

I have something weird happen across the board, right now I have 3 user 1 for admin and 2 for users.  Today something strange happened a new folder showed up called collections, what makes it strange is nothings in it.   More stressful is its in my library and no way to delete it, and it shows under all 3 users, wow subtitles was a challenge now this,  Its a good thing my WD Mycloud personal is still my go to media server.   That collection folder is making me nuts!

HELP!!!! How do I get rid of the DAM thing..

@cayars

• Solution

It's normal to get that so don't worry, nothing is wrong.

Collections are the new name for Box Sets in previous versions and was moved from being a plugin to being part of the core library features. A collection is a group of like items as grouped by you manually or as listed via meta-data providers.  It allows you to have a collection such as "Back to the Future".  When you enter that collection it would have the 3 Back to the Future movies.

Collections can be automatically created for you depending on your library settings.  Have a look at your movie library settings in the web dashboard.  You can configure how this works.

Since it's a virtual library there is not currently a way to remove it. However you don't need to see it on your home screen if you don't want to. Simply edit your home screen settings to display only the content you want to show up.

OK!  I got it from showing up on all the home screens, Thank You for That.   Now could you explain subtitles?  I only have a couple right now that we would use them for like example:  Angels & Demons when they speak in french.

Going to subscribe to 1 month of premiere.   Try to get wife to give up infuse, it does not like multiple movie libraries.

I believe changing themes will do it.   Plz let me know about the subtitles.

I appreciate the help!

Luke,

Where I got stock was mainly on support pages setting up for automatic download or manual download, then there was putting in plugin for open subtitles but there was already a place for open subtitles username and password.

You need to keep in mind with the wd mycloud personal and the best movie app we found was infuse, which did not only the metadata but the subtitles as well.   Subtitle were only gotten on individual movies.   Then while not home it was the my cloud app. 😪

With Emby I first purchased the app for Iphone played with it, as well as apple tv and with browsers.  Today we did 1 month trial on premiere, put ipad, fire tv in the mix with emby app.   If you haven't already figured out its going well.    We got couple hiccups 1 with the collection folder popping up which still shows on fire tv, the other was subtitles, I sent cayars a msg about it and got basic idea what to do.   They are working, still a little messed up with automatic vs manual but they are working.   Wife said the themes are helping to pull her off infuse!

There are little things that are little buggy, but for most part with cayars support, and myself being 62 its going very good!