Audio Level: why so low?

sonusfaber

• 3 months later...
Squiggley

Same issue for me, new Emby user, trying to drop Plex and use Emby but struggling with very low volume. 

I have installed the diagnostic plugin and in the Parameter Adjustment part I have Text To Replace I have put "volume=3" and I Replacement Text I have "volume=6" (with and without the quotes) but to no effect. 

Running on a nvidia shield Pro outputting via hdmi to a Yamaha rx-a1040 AV amp

Will gladly run any tests or provide any debug info requested

Thanks

Squiggley

Thanks for th response. I have turned on debug info, played a TV show and then hit send logs. Is there anything else I can do to help you diagnose the issue? 

13 hours ago, Squiggley said:

Thanks for th response. I have turned on debug info, played a TV show and then hit send logs. Is there anything else I can do to help you diagnose the issue? 

Hi.  Please provide this info:

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

• 4 weeks later...
jkasanic

Since my Kodi and Emby Next Gen setup has been down for about a month, I’ve been using the Emby app for FireTV. I’ve experienced this issue as well. It’s definitely downmixing the source to stereo. I’m surprised more people haven’t reported this “issue”. My biggest problem is my kids watch a lot of movies on the server and never lower the volume. If I forget, the whole house is awake!  Seems like a higher default volume value would make sense but I’ll try the plugin adjustment. Thanks

• 2 months later...

I am having this issue as well and have for the last 4 years.  I am not down mixing any movie and am only direct playing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Posting this also here cause....  not only me and a lot of ppl complaining.... So please excuse my "repost" from another thread : 

Why won't you simply include a "volume boost" not only during transcoding but in general ?  And make this optional with a warning that this could seriously impact the quality or even damage your sound system ?  Similar to VLC and whatnots....  I am a premium member because I like Emby, but seriously.....   this has been requested over and over and over again.... Just... include it into your clients....  Believe me - People WILL be happy. Thanks.

P.S. I am also seeing a low volume in some movies.... Of course I could turn the volume up on my soundsystem, but it is adjusted to be "ok" for everything else than Emby, so why should I touch it. BOOST OPTION PLZ!

22 hours ago, SoniC_1 said:

Posting this also here cause....  not only me and a lot of ppl complaining.... So please excuse my "repost" from another thread : 

Why won't you simply include a "volume boost" not only during transcoding but in general ?  And make this optional with a warning that this could seriously impact the quality or even damage your sound system ?  Similar to VLC and whatnots....  I am a premium member because I like Emby, but seriously.....   this has been requested over and over and over again.... Just... include it into your clients....  Believe me - People WILL be happy. Thanks.

P.S. I am also seeing a low volume in some movies.... Of course I could turn the volume up on my soundsystem, but it is adjusted to be "ok" for everything else than Emby, so why should I touch it. BOOST OPTION PLZ!

Re: 

• 4 months later...
damianscott71

Has there been an acknowledged fix to this problem?  All the movies that I play via Emby seem suffer this same problem.  Low volume and appear to be downmixed. 

Thanks

pwhodges

That's two issues.

(1) Downmixing - if your system is capable of playing surround in the format available, then there is probably a setting preventing this for some reason.  Posting details of the hardware together with a server log for the period of trying to play such a file would help with diagnosing what setting needs tweaking to fix this.

(2) As the link above points out, downmixing often leads to a perceived loss of volume, which is why Emby already provides an adjustment for this:

image.jpeg.56e6b1292c5dcc05fd8c814ffc418766.jpeg

Paul

• 1 month later...
Clangrijan

I also experience the same issue. I don't do any conversions or transcoding, I just use direct playback, and the volume is excessively low. Many times, I have to set the volume to 80%. If I play the same movie with Kodi and the Emby addon, it sounds fine, but not when using the Emby app. This happens on a Xiaomi Mi Box and also on TVs with Android TV.
Thanks.

6 hours ago, Clangrijan said:

I also experience the same issue. I don't do any conversions or transcoding, I just use direct playback, and the volume is excessively low. Many times, I have to set the volume to 80%. If I play the same movie with Kodi and the Emby addon, it sounds fine, but not when using the Emby app. This happens on a Xiaomi Mi Box and also on TVs with Android TV.
Thanks.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Clangrijan
On 7/22/2023 at 10:17 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Hello Luke! I've been conducting some tests, and the issue lies with movies that have AC3 5.1 audio. The sound is very low, and you have to raise the TV volume significantly. However, with other formats like EAC3 5.1, DTS, stereo, TrueHD, etc., the sound is fine. I always use direct playback.

This happens on a Xiaomi Mi TV with Android TV 9 and also on a Xiaomi Mi Box with Android 9. I'm using Emby for ATV 2.0.83g, but I also tried with Emby for ATV BETA 2.0.88g and the standard Android app 3.3.19.

However, if I play those movies with Kodi or another player, they sound correctly.

I'm attaching some screenshots when I play the movie "The Devil Wears Prada".

photo_2023-07-24_17-37-35.jpg

photo_2023-07-24_17-37-37.jpg

Maybe those other players are decoding the audio directly in their app? 

We pass it straight through to your TV or audio receiver when possible, and in that situation you may have to adjust that volume. What is your audio setup like?

Clangrijan
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Maybe those other players are decoding the audio directly in their app? 

We pass it straight through to your TV or audio receiver when possible, and in that situation you may have to adjust that volume. What is your audio setup like?

You're probably right, the other players probably decode the audio directly. When you ask about the audio configuration, are you referring to the TV or the Emby app?

On 7/28/2023 at 2:23 AM, Clangrijan said:

You're probably right, the other players probably decode the audio directly. When you ask about the audio configuration, are you referring to the TV or the Emby app?

In other words, what is the android device hooked up to, what kind of audio speakers are you using, audio settings on the android tv device, etc. Thanks.