WAKE ON LAN

2BTSquared

2BTSquared

First... I'm a Plex refugee. Plex's Live TV has become unstable, and based on what I see on their forums, it doesn't appear the folks at Plex have much interest in continued support of Live TV. So, I installed Emby hoping for a solution/replacement. So far I'm impressed. Kudos to the folks at Emby. Emby appears the be a slick, reliable solution. 

Only complaint so far... WAKE ON LAN. Based on my experience so far, it appears that neither my NVidia Shield TV client or Android phone client can wake a sleeping server. The NVidia Shield is connected via Ethernet cable to the router. The Android phone connects via WiFi.

When Emby on the NVidia Shield attempts to connect to a sleeping server, I have to wait for the connection attempt to fail (spinning circles). When the failure occurs, I'm taken to a screen to select a server (I only have one). Once there I click on the server and reattempt to connect. Again I have to wait until this attempt fails so that I can get to a pop up that provides a WAKE option. Clicking the wake option will wake the server. 

I don't believe I've ever seen Emby on the Android phone provide an option to wake the server after failed connection attempts. 

So... As it stand now... I have to use the Wake On Lan app - whether using the NVidia Shield or Android phone - to wake the server before opening the Emby app. Question... Why can't Emby just do this automatically when it opens?

Edited by 2BTSquared

3 minutes ago, 2BTSquared said:

Clicking the wake option will wake the server. 

Hi.  So the wake function does work it is just that you would like it to happen automatically?

2BTSquared
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  So the wake function does work it is just that you would like it to happen automatically?

Yes. I would like Emby to just send the Wake On Lan/packets automatically when it opens. I'm not wild about having to sit through two failed connection attempt timeouts before I can manually command Emby to wake the server. As is, its actually easier and faster to just use the Wake On Lan app to wake the server manually before opening Emby, but this seems to be an unnecessary/onerous step. You should be able to just open Emby and do what you need to do without the extra hassle of using the Wake On Lan app.

• Like 1

I don't believe I've ever seen Emby on the Android phone provide an option to wake the server after failed connection attempts. 

It is in the long press context menu which you can use without tapping on it first, thus avoiding the long timeout.

2BTSquared
38 minutes ago, Luke said:

It is in the long press context menu which you can use without tapping on it first, thus avoiding the long timeout.

I see 4 things... Manage Emby, Downloads, TV shows, Live TV. Actually 5 - there the "i" info icon. Don' t see anything about waking up the server. Even if I did, why go through this extra step? Why not just have the app do it automatically?

Satanasss
19 hours ago, ebr said:

Salut. Donc, la fonction de réveil fonctionne, c’est juste que vous voudriez que cela se produise automatiquement?

Hello,

Yes here, automatically would be very good.

I recently became interested in Emby and it was part of one of my questions (before really getting started with Emby, I'm testing for now), WOL launched automatically, like Kodi.

Because indeed, it is necessary to wait for Emby to make more or less the turn of the network, therefore on hold and circle which turns:

1.png

Then you have to click on the server:

2.jpg

Then click on WAKE :

3.jpg

And the WOL is sent, the PC wakes up, starts up or wakes up from sleep etc.

For the other questions, I will create a new topic.

Thank you

Edited by Satanasss

2BTSquared
21 hours ago, Luke said:

I've not been able to find this. What am I missing?

Satanasss
On 12/4/2021 at 3:35 AM, 2BTSquared said:

I see 4 things... Manage Emby, Downloads, TV shows, Live TV. Actually 5 - there the "i" info icon. Don' t see anything about waking up the server. Even if I did, why go through this extra step? Why not just have the app do it automatically?

You have these options because you long press on the phone app icon.

- A single click to launch the application.
- Once the four icons are displayed Make a long press on your server and you will have:
Connect.
To delete.
Wake up the server.

2BTSquared
5 hours ago, Satanasss said:

You have these options because you long press on the phone app icon.

- A single click to launch the application.
- Once the four icons are displayed Make a long press on your server and you will have:
Connect.
To delete.
Wake up the server.

Thanks. Found it. It does work... at least on my Android phone app. 

But... You still have to wait for the initial connection attempt failure to timeout (spinning circles = bad). Why can't the app just do it automatically when it opens? Using the Wake On Lan app to do it before opening Emby seem faster than having to go through the steps in Emby. Both these options seem unnecessary. The app should just do it automatically. Or maybe have an option to select so that the app can do it automatically (so the user has the option on how it works). 

Update: Tried it again on the NVidia TV Shield to see if I was missing something. The experience is worse than what you get with the Android phone app. The initial connection failure timeout takes a long time (mucho spinning circles here). When you get to the screen where you can select the server, I recommend you don't long press on the server here. You'll get the "Forget" option. If you accidentally hit that, you'll replace the spinning circles with angry faces. So, clicking on the server seems to do nothing at first... You'll likely end up clicking it again out of frustration. Eventually you'll get a pop up that will expose the WAKE button. If and when you get to it, the WAKE button works. All in all - a terrible process when it comes to the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF). For now I tell the wife to just go directly to the Wake On Lan app before opening Emby. She doesn't like it, but is living with it.  

Edited by 2BTSquared

Satanasss

It is sure that this is not the ideal, procedure to be done like the captures above.
I also added a "Wake on Lan" app next to Emby, but it's not great. You have to open it, select and send the WOL, go out and launch Emby ...
I also use Kodi, which throws it a WOL each time the app is launched.
Indeed it would be practical for this to be done automatically when opening the application so as not to wait for the failure and then have to do it manually ...

Satanasss

Hello,

Just saw it 2.0.58 (Dec 13)
So I tried and it doesn't work, I had to do it manually.
I emptied the cache etc. from the Android TV application (ATV) and tested several times, without result.

;)

• Sad 1

FrostByte

Also, if you hadn't done so maybe try force closing the app before restarting to see if it sends the WOL.  Maybe it won't send the WOL if it's already loaded in memory?

Satanasss

I have already tried by forcing the application to close, and even restarting the box.
I also just tried on FireTV Cube, same thing, I had to do it manually.

Satanasss
26 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

ebr might want to see an in-app log if you can provide that so he can look at it when he's back on

debugging option, then sent ?
(from the app)

7 hours ago, Satanasss said:

debugging option, then sent ?
(from the app)

Hi.  Please provide this info:

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

• Like 1

Satanasss

Hello,

(I didn't understand anything with the time zone)
User: Serveur
I made several attempts over about 5 minutes, then I sent the journal. (Newspaper sent exactly 18 minutes ago).
France Time: 21:21

2.0.58 (13 Dec): no wol sent automatically
2.0.59 (14 Dec): same thing
In the last attempt I waited, then I selected the WAKE which works manually.

Here, I hope that it is clear.

Thank you

Edited by Satanasss
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Satanasss said:

Hello,

(I didn't understand anything with the time zone)
User: Serveur
I made several attempts over about 5 minutes, then I sent the journal. (Newspaper sent exactly 18 minutes ago).
France Time: 21:21

2.0.58 (13 Dec): no wol sent automatically
2.0.59 (14 Dec): same thing
In the last attempt I waited, then I selected the WAKE which works manually.

Here, I hope that it is clear.

Thank you

Unfortunately, there was so much going on in your log that I could not see the start up.  Can you try restarting the app and immediately send the log?  Also, make sure that the server isn't in the middle of a library scan.  That was sending a bunch of messages to the app causing the log to fill with chatter as well :).

Thanks.

Satanasss

I restarted, server and application.

I have just made 2 attempts with the server on standby.
Then a third by sending the WOL manually.
23:22 (FR)

Edited by Satanasss

Satanasss

I just repeated the same tests on an empty server (portable version, on the same pc).

1) Do not send the wol, I quit the application
2) same
3) Wait, then send WOL manually
USER: Test

I hope it will be better, lighter journal

;)

Edited by Satanasss