Domain and Certificate

AndrewDub2044

AndrewDub2044

Hey guys! I'm having some issues getting my certificate and Domain.. I don't understand what to do. Guys mind helping a fellow Emby user out. Least with the domain and Certificate I don't have to use the VPN which is my goal 

AndrewDub2044

Hey Luke just on my lunch break and starting at basically step zero lol. Gonna attempt once again. I need a full rookie walkthrough lol 

Happy2Play

Please do not use the Report button unless there is an issue with this post.

Sorry but you will have to wait on someone familiar with this process.  My WHS2011 and Server 2016 have their own vanity certs, I just copied that cert to Emby and applied domain name.

AndrewDub2044

Hey guys. I got my DDNS domain via Google. It's bought and ready. My question is how the heck do I set this up on my NAS to get the Let's Encrypt Certificate. My self signed one was denied by the Emby appScreenshot_20211202-225649.thumb.png.fb7d282dd594262a01da5c883ec054c8.png

AndrewDub2044

Whoops thx Luke

I have the domain done with Google. I'm trying to get my certificate via SSLforFree and am stumped here. Originally I wanted to just get a simple certificate where it would take care of itself & renew itself and I wouldn't have to lift a finger. Let's Encrypt I find very confusingScreenshot_20211202-232346.thumb.png.46f6537f7ad0fd1f425f14168f202013.pngScreenshot_20211202-232408.thumb.png.2f988e5eba815806abff794e2cf9890a.png

Yea the nice thing about LetsEncrypt though is that most devices will accept it. With SSLforFree, I guess we'll have to find out once you've completed it. I found user posting some info on SSLForFree in case that might help:

AndrewDub2044

Darn I don't get that lol. I'll see in the morning. Hmmm Luke any advice on getting Let's Encrypt to run. I originally didn't want to fork out the cash monthly 

AndrewDub2044

Back up there for my google forms stuff. That's where I need the help mostly. I don't know what to put in those boxes to get my google DDNS to start. It says failed

AndrewDub2044

What if I do reverse proxy. Tbh all I want is a encrypted connection to my Emby. I did get the DDNS working but only when I did the (mydomain.synology.me) but that screws with Emby which I wanted not to happen. I'm exhausted

10 hours ago, AndrewDub2044 said:

What if I do reverse proxy. Tbh all I want is a encrypted connection to my Emby. I did get the DDNS working but only when I did the (mydomain.synology.me) but that screws with Emby which I wanted not to happen. I'm exhausted

HI, yes a lot of people use nginx around here, and you could even adopt @pir8radio's nginx configuration which is widely used.

AndrewDub2044

Hey Luke cool! Thanks. I'm still fighting with Google Domain. I have no idea where I am screwing up. Followed the steps and it still says failed. I read about the proxy and the @pir8radio profile. I cant find his configuration lol

@AndrewDub2044 I have a different way that I use 90%+ of the time with people that is slightly harder but a lot better once complete.  The great part of this solution is that I can remote in and help you if you get stuck or just want a hand.  Since you already have the domain what you would do is open a free account at CloudFlare.com.  After you sign up they will instruct you to login to your domain register and change the 2 name server entries to use the 2 they give you.  What that does is put Cloudflare in control of your dns.  It takes 10 minutes to 4 hours to switch.  This is not a domain transfer but just a change of name servers.

Once Cloudflare has control of your domain things get much easier because everyone goes through their service to get to your server.  No one needs to know your IPs as they are not part of your DNS anymore.  Cloudflare protects you from all the nasty/crazy stuff that happens but more importantly gives your remote users better "routing" to your server because they are are CDN network.  With the configuring setup correctly all your movie, tv shows, music pictures will get cached by them.  So what that means is once viewed from your system they won't be pulled again in 30 days.  So your Emby system will seem very fast to remote users.  Lots of pros here with the only con being a slightly harder setup.

Oh, nearly forgot to mention. Cloudflare will give you a cert to use that auto generates.  It's a pem format that needs changing formats for Emby but once done you won't touch it again.  You won't need to renew it moving forward because the "real cert" checks take place against the forward facing Cloudflare servers exposed to the public (not your server).

So if this is something you would like to do, I can assist you.  Try and get signed up with them and start the name server change. Send me a PM and let me know it's done and and we'll setup a time hopefully within 2 hours (should be ready by then) to get the rest configured for you.

Carlo

• Thanks 2

AndrewDub2044

Hey Carlo cool! I'm home in 20 minutes and then I'll log on to the NAS and ready when you are! Let's do this thing!!

AndrewDub2044

Big shoutout to fellow member Cayrs in helping me.out tonight in getting this project off the ground and getting secure connections running. He's been at it now for 4 hours doing his magic (I have no idea) what it is! But definitely one of the best!! Appreciate it!! 

• Thanks 1