Unable to play any video content on LG and Samsung but it works on PCs

HBola

I spent some times without using Emby on my LG and Samsung TVs and while it was working some time ago, they are both failing me now.
I tried using the last Linux server beta version as well as the latest stable one, but the result is the same.
On the LG side, when I attempt to play, it just stays loading forever. On the Samsung app it was doing the same on a previous version of the tv app, but now I just get a static background.
There is no clear error messages on the TVs, and I could nos identify any errors on the server log as well (apart from DLNA issues sometimes but nothing to do with the current problem).

The Linux server Emby version used to collect the logs was the 4.6.7.0 and the TV models, firmware and app versions are as follows:
SAMSUNG UN50NU7100 (firmware 1320) - Emby version 1.1.03
LG UN50NU7100 (firmware 05.10.25) - Emby version 1.0.24

The attached logs were produced while trying (and failing) to play some files on the LG, then on the Samsung, and finally on a desktop browser,  where it finally works.
In summary, everything works on my mobile phones as well as desktop browsers, but not on the TVs. I also have an older LG that is producing the same failed behavior, but I did not think it would be worth adding it to the experiment here.

Given that I could not even find hints on the possible error to guide the process of looking for a solution, I decided to ask here on the forum if anyone has any tips on how should I proceed.

Any help?

logs.zip

Without looking at the log, this sounds like a cert issue. Are you using a LetsEncrypt certificate by any chance on the server?

If so, search the LG forum for ZeroSSL as that has been the solution for most users with this issue. 

Hi SamES, I will try ZeroSSL, but honestly, I am not positive about it fixing the issue.

I am on the local network and able to connect to the server and browser through the contents. I can also completely deactivate SSL and still access everything.
The issue is only when playing the video files.
Regardless, who knows... I will get back as soon as I am able to attempt ZeroSSL.

I suppose the first question is, are you using a LetsEncrypt?  If you're not that it's probably not the issue, but if you are, then most likely it is.

rbjtech

Logs are showing local LAN playback, so I don't believe TLS has anything to do with this ?

So all devices 'connect' (so we can rule out basic connectivity) - it's just on the TV's - they don't playback anything when you press 'Play' - but you do get playback on a web browser and mobile (connected via Wifi presumably) - is this correct ?

@SamES:
I have managed to install ZeroSSL and verify it by connecting to the Emby server using both TV and desktop.
I am still unable to play anything regardless of the 'Secure connection mode'.

@rbjtech
That is the case indeed. I can connect and see the available contents regardless the used client. It also does not matter if it is a cabled or WiFi connection.

To be honest, the biggest issue (from the app's perspective not from how it affect me 😛 ) in my opinion is not that I am unable to play, because that could be anything. It is precisely not having any indication whatsoever of what might be wrong. Perhaps the clients should have an option to send debug info to the server.

rbjtech
7 hours ago, HBola said:

Perhaps the clients should have an option to send debug info to the server.

On Android TV, you can do this (send the TV Log) but I'm not 100% on the LG & Samsung.

Lets try and target one TV to see what's going on.

Reset the log in Emby (using schedule), then connect the TV to Emby, then play one item (which plays ok without transcoding in a browser ie something with h264/avc video and aac or mp3 audio).  Then send that log and I'll take a look for you.

These are the logs for the SAMSUNG UN50NU7100, which just presents me a gray screen after attempting to play any video.
The test clip was 'Gravity - Extra High Definition (2K) Theatrical Trailer'

1096453540_Screenshotfrom2021-12-0413-15-31.png.20f4395847bb52081cc0c47f93261fe1.png

I started the Emby server, connected the TV, went to the library folder and attempted to play the clip. As mentioned before, the Samsung app just presents me a static background. No error, loading, nothing. I then waited for one or two minutes, exited the app and stopped the server.

Thank you in advance @rbjtech

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63774220052.txt

rbjtech

ah - so you are trying to play via DLNA correct ?  ie you are not using an emby client ?

I've never seen emby try and use port TCP 9197 - this appears to be some sort of DLNA Digital media renderer (that's what dmr stands for)

I'm out of my depth here as I don't use DLNA at all - somebody like @ebr or @Luke may be able to help.

It would probably also be useful if you posted this in the DLNA section of the forum - as the Samsung/LG TV sections in the forum are primarily for the Native clients.

On that note - is there any reason you are not using the native Samsung client ?

2021-12-04 13:07:49.797 Error HttpClient: Connection to http://192.168.100.101:9197/dmr timed out
2021-12-04 13:07:49.812 Error Dlna: Error creating PlayTo device.
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.6.7.0
	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
	Operating system: Linux version 5.11.0-41-generic (buildd@lgw01-amd64-005) (gcc (Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04) 9.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.34) #45~20.04.1
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.21
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 8
	Data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
	MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Connection to http://192.168.100.101:9197/dmr timed out
	 ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
	 ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: Operation canceled.
	 ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (125): Operation canceled
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.GetResult(Int16 token)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.FillAsync()
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.ReadNextResponseHeaderLineAsync(Boolean foldedHeadersAllowed)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.SendAsyncCore(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.SendAsyncCore(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithNtConnectionAuthAsync(HttpConnection connection, HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.DecompressionHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.FinishSendAsyncUnbuffered(Task`1 sendTask, HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
	   at Emby.Dlna.PlayTo.Device.CreateuPnpDeviceAsync(Uri url, IHttpClient httpClient, IServerConfigurationManager config, ILogger logger, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Dlna.PlayTo.PlayToManager.AddDevice(UpnpNotificationInfo info, String location, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Dlna.PlayTo.PlayToManager._deviceDiscovery_DeviceDiscovered(Object sender, GenericEventArgs`1 e)
	Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()
	InnerException: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
	Source: System.Net.Http
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithNtConnectionAuthAsync(HttpConnection connection, HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.DecompressionHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.FinishSendAsyncUnbuffered(Task`1 sendTask, HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts)
	InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: Operation canceled.
	Source: System.Net.Sockets
	TargetSite: Void ThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, System.Threading.CancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.GetResult(Int16 token)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.FillAsync()
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.ReadNextResponseHeaderLineAsync(Boolean foldedHeadersAllowed)
	InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Operation canceled
	Source: 
	TargetSite: 

I think there is some misunderstanding @rbjtech. I was not trying to play using DLNA but using the Samsumg client. As I mentioned in my first post, sometimes the logs show this issue with DLNA, but it has nothing to do with the current problem:

There is no clear error messages on the TVs, and I could not identify any errors on the server log as well (apart from DLNA issues sometimes but nothing to do with the current problem).

By the way, it does work if I try to use the DLNA itself 😄
Sometimes it is just tricky to make the announcement work, but as soon as the tvs can see the DLNA server, it works.

I could deactivate the dlna and record the logs again, but it would change very little. Just this message would disappear and that is it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

After some time trying different settings, I managed to get it to work.
What made it work though, was plugging my server and TV on the same router/switch. Not sure what the streaming parts is trying to setup in the router, probably some UPnP thing that is somehow required only when playing. Given that other functions were ok on the TVs (browsing media folders, login, etc) and other devices also played everything, that is pretty weird.

Regardless, I was able to get back to play the files.

• Like 1