Dolby Digital Movies Play As Static

cgcmgr

Hey Everyone,

Just a quick question.  I've seen this asked before and I'm sure the answer is my TV cannot handle the Dolby Digital signal, but.....

I Cannot play AC3 5.1 encoded movies through Emby on a Firestick on my Sharp TV.  Unfortunately, I don't know the model of the TV as it is 4 hours from me in a summer home and it was given to me by brother-in-law to use in the house as he bought a new TV.  Not sure when I'll be back there to get the model.

-          I don’t hear the audio, just a bunch of static

-          Dolby Digital Output is set to Dolby Digital over HDMI on the Firestick

-          Audio is set to Auto in Emby

-          Digital Audio Out is set to PCM and or RAW (same result) on the Sharp TV

-          Stats for Nerds in Emby shows the movie is playing in Direct Play

-          Audio plays if I select Downmix to Stereo in Emby

I can play DTS 5.1 encoded movies through Emby on the same Firestick on the same Sharp TV

-          Same settings as above

-          Stats for Nerds shows in Emby the movie is playing in Transcode Mode, so I assume that’s why the audio works.

I can play AC3 5.1 encoded movies on the same Sharp TV through my Dish Network Set Top Box

Am I missing something? 

7 hours ago, cgcmgr said:

Ok.  I may not be back to the location until March so I may end up just posting again at that time.

That would be great, thanks !

rbjtech
On 01/12/2021 at 23:02, cgcmgr said:

-          Audio plays if I select Downmix to Stereo in Emby

I can play DTS 5.1 encoded movies through Emby on the same Firestick on the same Sharp TV

-          Same settings as above-

The Downmix to Stereo working tells us a lot.

The Sharp TV maybe cannot handle the FULL AC3 5.1 bitrates (DVD Standard is 448 Kbit/sec).  DTS is ok as that standard is 768 or 1536 Kbit/sec as has never changed.

If the downmix to Stereo works - and your TV only has 2 internal speakers, then you are really not missing out on anything - as your TV will be downmixing any AC3 signal anyway .. ;)