H.265 Playback Issue

AlsoBrian

AlsoBrian

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.  I've been having an issue streaming H.265 content to my LG TV through either the LG app or using the LG DLNA.  Couple issues (possibly related):

1) LG thinks the stream is h.264 even though I've confirmed that it's streaming direct without transcoding.  This happens on  LG-native playback and the Screentime app (I'm not totally sure if it's happening on the Emby App).

2) Video playback freezes up every two minutes or so even when the video is full loaded.

3) The Emby App is actually the only playback device that can tell that the stream is HDR.  

I'm thinking maybe the problems are related and I'm freezing up whenever the stream has some HEVC-specific encode and otherwise working okay.  Is there a way to force transcoding to H.264 for just my LG TV so I can test that?  Any other advice?  

Windows 10 computer running the server.  LG TV model is LG B8 (OLED65B8PUA).

Playback and streaming works fine on a plugged in blu ray player, but I miss the UI of the Emby App.  Works fine on a different LG TV that is newer.

Edited by AlsoBrian

AlsoBrian

Thanks for the quick reply.  Took me a second to recreate it.  Seemed to be working better this morning.  This time it's doing it on the newer TV, too.embyserver.txtembyserver.txt Last time I was able to see that the video pre-loaded via a little red bar on the ios app (I imagine that's what that is), but this time I cannot tell.  It's being properly read as HEVC this time.

AlsoBrian

The periodically freezing playback on the LG TV occurred between 5:01:50 pm and 5:21:03 pm; two files were played on an LG TV through the Emby app.

The periodically freezing playback on Chrome for the computer acting as the server occurred between 06:13:04 pm and 6:21:12 pm; one file played through Chrome.

All times on December 1.

Edited by AlsoBrian

AlsoBrian

I really appreciate you being so responsive, and I feel kind of bad for distracting you from your main work.  I'm going to try upgrading the drive with the content, and I'll report back if it fixes everything.

• 2 weeks later...
AlsoBrian

Got it mostly working.  It's all me-problems not you-problems so far.  Sorry to bug you.  In case anyone else has the same issues:  The reason I was getting spotty playback on my older LG TV was that it was hopping between mesh network nodes.  I set the gateway permanently to the closest node, and now it works like a charm.  The chrome playback issue appears to have resolved itself when I told my backup software to stop being real time.   This resolves everything for 99% of my use cases. 

Did get one weird additional bug, but it's on a TV I don't really use with Emby.  The newer LG TV plays the wrong audio track (not the one selected) for direct loaded h.265 HDR content.  It's consistent--so for a given video, the English track will always be the Spanish track or the Russian will always be English or the French track will always be silent, or whatever.  Deleting and reloading the app doesn't fix it.  Switching content directories, libraries, and users does not fix it.  Same content transcoded to h.264 is problem free (but not HDR).  Same content has no issues on any other playback device.  I don't really use that TV for anything Emby-related, so it's not a big deal but thought I would flag in case it's helpful. 

Edited by AlsoBrian