lAV filters

all4dom

all4dom

Hey guys, I currently have a dedicated htpc, AMD a8 quad core processor (intergrated video) & use ffdshow with windsfilter tweaker. Most of my media is MKV files & a small mix of other media formats. I'm seeing more info pop up about lav filters but am wondering if there is a benefit to switching or not.

Thanks

Dominick

Will they work with the intergrated video?

If you have a fairly current motherboard, then probably so.  LAV has support for CUDA, Intel QuickSync, and generic DXVA2, so pretty much all are covered if already hardware acceleration capable.

Cheesegeezer

@all4dom,  one thing is if you are using FFDshow to encode 2,0 channels to AC3 5.1 then you will loose this function switching to LAV filters.

@Cbers, how do you mean better, I'm curious;)

CBers

@all4dom,  one thing is if you are using FFDshow to encode 2,0 channels to AC3 5.1 then you will loose this function switching to LAV filters.

@Cbers, how do you mean better, I'm curious;)

Perhaps "seems to be" is a throwaway comment.

I still use ffdshow, set up from your guide, with MBC.

Will need to use MBT with ffdshow to see how it compares.

Cheesegeezer

Yeah the only way I've managed to get FFDShow to work with MBT is to use External Player which defeats the whole purpose of comparison.

It just simply isn't allowed, would be nice if Luke added the FFDshow options like MadVR and reclock.

CBers

Yeah the only way I've managed to get FFDShow to work with MBT is to use External Player which defeats the whole purpose of comparison.

It just simply isn't allowed, would be nice if Luke added the FFDshow options like MadVR and reclock.

But if you use Win7DSFilterTweaker, you should be able to use ffdshow shouldn't you?

Cheesegeezer

nope, the Lav filters seem to be hardlocked with MBT, I'll check again, you might have highlighted something I missed....

I'm all excited now...

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I had already done that with the filter tweaker and I can confirm that LAV filters are hardlocked to MBT.

This is probably the only thing that will keep me from using MBT.

CBers

I had already done that with the filter tweaker and I can confirm that LAV filters are hardlocked to MBT.

This is probably the only thing that will keep me from using MBT.

What happens if you uninstall LAV? Does MBT fall over in a heap?

Cheesegeezer

I think I will just be forced to download lav filters again as it is a pre req for installing MBT, unless there is only one check done on first load.

I'll check though

Cheesegeezer

No such luck, it's checked on every load and i'm forced to install the LAV filters.  Oh well

Cheesegeezer

ok hang on a sec... I may have something

Nope.... even disabling the allowed formats such as avi, divx etc doesn't allow for another filter to be loaded.

So yeah you are basically stuck with LAV or nothing

Edited by Cheesegeezer

CBers

So yeah you are basically stuck with LAV or nothing

Interesting. 

OT - your sig has metadata being displayed, are you aware? 

[color=rgb(102,102,102);font-family:'Droid Sans', Arial, serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(213,211,190);]
  • Like 1

all4dom

So if I understand correctly, lab is required for mbt & ffdshow will not work with it. Ffdshow offers so much simplicity in comparison to other codecs. & if I remember correctly, this was a big discussion when mbt was announced, but included in the discussion was madvr.

Deihmos

I thought MBT did not require codecs? I use and prefer ffdshow over lav since I can ff and rewind and control subtitles using the wmc player. I do use the lav filter.

I thought MBT did not require codecs? I use and prefer ffdshow over lav since I can ff and rewind and control subtitles using the wmc player. I do use the lav filter.

It doesn't, after the initial and required lav installation. I can only do so much and more options = more support = more difficult choices to make for newbies. So given the choice of one, LAV is the dominant player right now, so that's going to be it. It is the best choice for beginners and it's also in the high end as well.