Lag issue with certain .mkv files

wavyroel

wavyroel

Dear Emby Support,

For some reason certain .mkv files have lag issues when I view them on my Samsung TV, the audio cuts out and the video starts lagging seconds after.

I will now attach a screenshot of the file specs that lags:

image.thumb.png.35fb62b9d64797065effd7cef8b71d19.png

And the same series but one that does not lag. 

image.thumb.png.31ecac1e52b3ecc4d668e39633f2a327.png

Could this be caused by the Audio codec (AAC vs OPUS)?

Regards,

Roel

Edited by wavyroel
  • Like 1

For the one that lags, can you please check the playback method, either from Stats for Nerds in the player during playback, or from the server dashboard.  I need to know if it is DirectPlay, DirectStream or Transcode.

Please also check if there are any ffmpeg logs being generated on the server at the time when you test playing this file.  Thanks

FrostByte

@SamES looking at the developer's page again it looks like Opus was added in 2018+ TVs so you may be able to passthrough for those if that ends up being the issue

Edited by FrostByte

wavyroel

@SamES

Thank you for your quick response. I just checked and my eyes deceived me, its only the audio that is lagging not the video. You just hear the audio stuttering and then after it goes completely silent. The video keeps playing without any issues. My assumptions go out to AAC vs OPUS. FYI Im on 2021 series

IMG_4553.thumb.jpg.de587ada351a27974d785ab9abd400f1.jpg

Regards,

Roel

Edited by wavyroel
  • Like 1

Opus is already set to DirectPlay, as you can see from SFN.  In fact I tested Opus again last night as it even works on my 2017 TV, so I expected that was already the case.

In this case though, as it is DirectPlay, there is not really much we can do.  You say it lags, is it just like a lipsync issue where the audio and video don't match, with a fairly consistent delay, or is it random and variable?

wavyroel

@SamES

Im attaching a file that shows the issue. That weird boop sound u hear is the audio of the content. When i press the skip 30 seconds ahead button on my remote the sound is okay again for 5-10 seconds-ish

Is it just this one file, or do you have others with Opus that have this problem?

One thing you can try. 

Download a copy of Mkvtoolnix, and add this file as a source using the Multiplexer tool option. 

It will automatically select all the tracks.

Check that the Destination file at the bottom is a new file (don't overwrite the original) then just hit start multiplexing.

This will copy all the streams (no conversion so it will be quick) to a new MKV file, basically just rewriting the container.

Rescan the Emby Library to pick up this new file and try playing it. 

wavyroel

@SamESThis is an issue with all files that have OPUS as codec. I dont think the file itself is the issue. Do u recognize this problem? Anyway to convert the audio to AAC?

Have you looked at the conversion in Emby?

Select the Convert Option from the menu on a file, then I would select options like this below which will preserve and hevc or h264 tracks, but will convert anything else to h264 (don't try and convert to hevc)

Audio tracks will be converted if not already ac3, aac or mp3

Subs should also be preserved.  Just try one file for now and see if it helps.

You can also set this against an entire library and it will automatically convert (and overwrite if you want) any new files

image.thumb.png.a3d833ea0021aac51c1448ef81854583.png

wavyroel

@SamES

Thanks, tried that out just now. Is it normal for the conversion task to be so slow? My NAS CPU is barely being used by Emby (It could take more of the cores) and the task is processing very slowly. I sent you the ffmpeg file for this conversion in your DMs.

Edited by wavyroel

It is possible that it will take time but you can change the priority for it as it is set to run as a background task.  Did you make sure you selected Original quality for the option.

In the conversions section on the server settings there is a settings tab at the top and you can check the option to 'Enable full speed conversion', and you can assign additional cores.

When it's complete, there should be an ffmpeg conversion log created in the logs section which would be interesting to review.

You can try a second file with changed settings and we could compare the logs between the two options.