"The Roku Channel" Live TV for Emby

flcruising

flcruising

Has anyone found a way to add "The Roku Channel" to Emby for Live TV?

Recently started using Pluto TV (https://i.mjh.nz/PlutoTV/), which seems to have a very similar channel lineup to The Roku Channel, but Live TV feature for Roku is far superior in quality and speed. Would love to have recording ability with Roku Live.

Edited by flcruising

Yes it can be done but this really isn't the place to talk about it.
Have you tried a google search or two? The information is there for the picking. :)

flcruising
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes it can be done but this really isn't the place to talk about it.
Have you tried a google search or two? The information is there for the picking. :)

Sorry, didn't realize this wasn't the place to share that type of info.

I'm very new to IPTV because we've had Dish for years, but now that's cancelled just working through figuring out Live TV with Emby (veteran MB user).

Google search yielded github iptv-org, but the Roku Live EPG doesn't work because of missing xml.

pwhodges
3 hours ago, flcruising said:

Sorry, didn't realize this wasn't the place to share that type of info.

I think it's simply that sharing information about getting around legal or T&C restrictions is not permitted here.

Paul

They make it very easy to get/harvest and they are often times using URLs that are already known as well.

It's just from an Emby Management standpoint it's probably best not to discuss this type of thing here in the forums in public as it's a gray area.

I for example have a large list of TV stations that broadcast over the web as well as air locally.  I "harvested" the URLs from the web code as they were intended to be shown in a browser where I assume they could make some ad money.  I'd love to share that type of thing here as it's instant content anyone could add that has Premiere but it's a gray area.  I also have a few thousand STRM movies built that point to archive.org which only allows public domain movies and copyright free content. These are mostly all older classic movies but it doesn't need local storage space so it's a no brainer to add.  Again it's a gray area to distribute that because it's a 3rd party site.

I've thought about putting up a media site with all kinds of tips like this without mention of any media server by name but that's not really any better either. We (Emby Team) need to be careful with any type of content like this, because the different app stores that host our apps could see that as us distributing content that's not licensed properly.  I mean you would have to figure Samsung or Roku would appreciate seeing us distributing their "live tv channels" as they, not us licensed these to distribute. :)

Hopefully that makes sense.  We probably should not have discussed Pluto or Stirr here either but you see these conversations on just about every media website so it's pretty generically done (but still not proper).

You can send me a PM me directly for ideas.

justinrh

@cayars You may have touched on something I've been wanting to ask concerning Emby capability.  Is it possible to 'host' a video link in Emby that comes from another site?  I might want to easily share and consume the video later.  An example might be a YouTube video.  Is this the kind of thing you are talking about? 

Yes and no. :)

If you have the URL of the file/stream itself this can be done.   If it's a web page like Youtube pages, then no as of right now.

This is done using strm files.
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001159147

Here's an example with an old black and white movie that is no longer copyrighted.

Amazing Transparent Man, The (1960).strm

Just a simple one line file that is nothing but the direct link to the media.

PS so if you dropped that into a movie folder with the proper folder name to match the file name, emby would add it to the movie library with any meta-data it can find, just like any other media.  Only difference is that Emby won't fetch the remote movie to look up codec, time/length etc so you won't have that data until it's first played (then you will have that too).  strm files work really well for some types of content.

Hope that helps,

Carlo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1