Change User/Logout

serpi

Hi,

with the latest builds of the Tizen version, there are two options on the "go back from EHS" menu: "Change User" and "Logout" (I'm not sure, what they are named in english, as my interface is german).

Both seem to do the same: Open the user selection screen.

So what's the point of having two entries that do the same?

Or is there any difference?

Also, the "Logout" option is the last entry in the menu, the "Close" option is before it. "Close" should be the last option as it has the biggest impact.

Ciao, Alfred

FrostByte

The only difference is that when you "logout" it actually logs you out immediately.  Change user will bring up the same user selection screen, but you can back out of it and it won't log you out unless you select another user.  But yes, they are very close to the same thing.

54 minutes ago, serpi said:

So, both do practically the same, seems pretty useless to me.

Hi.  Not really - they just both happen to end up in the same place.  You would use log out when you want the app to not remember that you logged in and force you to re-authenticate the next time you run it.  Switch user just switches to a different user and is "undoable" as mentioned.

So, the first one logs you out and you must re-authenticate - useful for a common device.  The second is just a quick way to switch to a different user but does not log you out (until you actually switch).

On 11/30/2021 at 6:33 PM, ebr said:

So, the first one logs you out and you must re-authenticate - useful for a common device.  The second is just a quick way to switch to a different user but does not log you out (until you actually switch).

I don't get the point.

In both cases I am at the user selection screen and if I want to login again, I can select my user again.

I see, that I can go back to my user if I use switch user, but where is the big advantage of this?

I think, switch user should be removed and logout should be the only option (and be in the menu above the exit option).

Having both options with no real difference (for the user) is just confusing.

Ciao Alfred

30 minutes ago, serpi said:

I think, switch user should be removed and logout should be the only option (and be in the menu above the exit option).

That would mean that you would be logged out and forced to re-authenticate.

30 minutes ago, serpi said:

I see, that I can go back to my user if I use switch user, but where is the big advantage of this?

The advantage is that, if you didn't really mean to switch users, you haven't now forced yourself to re-authenticate.

Logging out should really never be needed except in the case of using a common device and you want to be sure no login information is saved.  For most people's usage, this is the option that is never needed. The switch user one is much more useful for most people but both are necessary.

If the logout option actually backed you out of the app I don't think you ever would have been confused by this.  The only reason it doesn't, I think, is because switch user didn't used to be available (it is a relatively new option) so the only way to switch to a different user was to log out. 

So, I really think the proper answer would be for log out to exit the app completely.

FrostByte

There's an Exit app option also.

If one of the two were removed though I think it should be Logout because with Switch you could always change your mind and back out as mentioned.

FrostByte

However, I guess with logout you can then Exit and it won't remember who the last user was which logged on.  

Still, for a user, there is no difference.

I select Switch User: I get the user selection screen.

I select Logout: I get the user selection screen.

There is no sign that one is different from the other or that I could go back from the switch user without re-authenticate.

I bet most users would simply select there user again, if they selected Switch User, but want to re-enter.

I wouldn't care, which one will be removed, as both do essentially the same.

Ciao, Alfred

I don't think either option should be removed.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:13 PM, ebr said:

So, I really think the proper answer would be for log out to exit the app completely.

FrostByte
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

I don't think either option should be removed.

It should be renamed Logout and Exit then, but ya it makes sense.

Edited by FrostByte

17 hours ago, FrostByte said:

It should be renamed Logout and Exit then, but ya it makes sense.

Well, there is also an Exit option to close the app, besides logout and switch user.

And really, for a user, there is no difference in Switch User and Logout, it looks the same, it does the same, it's just purly technical details that the user even doesn't notice (or, I bet, would care about).

Was there really any user who requested this feature?!

FrostByte

Exit doesn't log you out though.  With that option you're automatically logged into the last user the next time you start the app

A combination of Logout /Exit like ebr mentioned would actually eliminate one step for those who want to logout before exiting so that on a new session the app will prompt for a user

• Switch user
  • Logout and Exit
  • Exit w/o logging out

FrostByte

The other possibility would be to have a setting to toggle remembering last user on Exit.  Then you could probably eliminate the Logout/ Sign out.  

18 hours ago, FrostByte said:

The other possibility would be to have a setting to toggle remembering last user on Exit.  Then you could probably eliminate the Logout/ Sign out.  

There is an option for this, the "remember user" setting.

Out of stupidity this can be only reached if you select the manual login, it should be an option in the options screen, as it is in the AndroidTV app, AFAIR.

You can see, there ist really no need to have two options to change user (with or withour logout), and all this talk here is about technicals details, which the user even doesn't see or care.

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 1