Hibernation problem DS218Play

Dan833

Hi i wonder if you can help me.

I installed Emby Server 4.6.7.0 ARMv8 (x18 Series) on my DS218Play running DSM 6.2.4-25556 and it seems Emby overrides the HDD Hibernation option in the Hardware & Power settings stopping it from hibernating. If i remove Emby it hibernates.

I left it for 30 minutes and then logged in and checked the logs, no one had logged in during that time.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

Thanks.

Syn.jpg

Here is the embyserver log..

These are the steps i took

1 - Set DS to hibernate after 10minutes

2 - Stop and restarted Emby Server

3 - Logged out of DSM and left for about 15minutes

Still didn't hibernate, hdd lights still on. They go off when it hibernates.

The log only covers the first 15 seconds of restarting.

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Dan833 said:

embyserver.txt 25.99 kB · 0 downloads

Only guess would be maybe need to enable debug logging to see additional activity as I don't believe this log show a complete startup.

But it does have Real Time Monitoring errors stopping on your Synology Recycle bins.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Films/#recycle' is denied.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Shared/#recycle' is denied.

I guess one test would be disabling Real Time Monitoring on each library to see if that makes a difference.

@cayars @FrostByteshould users disable recycle or adjust permissions on this platform?  But ideally believe devs should ignore this location.

FrostByte

I'm not using my Shared folder as a library thus it's not trying to scan the #recycle folders.  

All my libraries are subfolders to the shared folder

ex.

/volume1/Shared/#recycle
/volume1/Shared/Movies

Since recycle bins are shared folder items Emby doesn't touch mine because the recycle bin is up one level.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dan833 said:

embyserver.txt 25.99 kB · 1 download

What time did you expect it to hibernate?

8 hours ago, Luke said:

What time did you expect it to hibernate?

10 minutes after i took the above steps. It doesn't have a time you can set only countdown in minutes.

Anyway i woke up this morning and it seems to have solved itself, it was in hibernation. I don't know if Emby has a time to timeout or idle stopping it from hibernating.

Thanks for the assist anyway, great piece of software particularly the device control.

😉

10 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I'm not using my Shared folder as a library thus it's not trying to scan the #recycle folders.  

All my libraries are subfolders to the shared folder

ex.

/volume1/Shared/#recycle
/volume1/Shared/Movies

Since recycle bins are shared folder items Emby doesn't touch mine because the recycle bin is up one level.

Same for me as well. It's generally a bad practice IMHO to link to the share directly as things like #recycle and other system files can get written in the "root". You are far better off creating a directory such as Media, EmbyMedia or similar that you mount to instead.

I typically do:
/Media/Movies
/Media/TVShows
/Media/DVR
etc

When ever possible I try to not include spaces in these names because you have to single quote them from the command line if working with them. Not a big deal, just a personal thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luke said:

What scheduled tasks?

I just disabled the tasks that run every few hours or so..The only tasks i have set are the Log Rotation which runs Daily at midnight and Scan Media Library which runs weekly. 🙂

On 12/4/2021 at 10:02 AM, Dan833 said:

Just the normal default tasks when you first install Emby.

Which ones specifically?

10 hours ago, Luke said:

Which ones specifically?

The default ones that come with the installation of Emby.

These are the ones i disabled..I don't use Convert or Transfer Media so i dont know why they activate.

The nas has stopped hibernating again, one of the Emby processes keeps kicking in for a few seconds then disappearing.

But it doesn't matter now i just leave my nas on all the time, apparently stop starting shortens the life of the drive.

I can't send a log cause hibernation is now off.

emby.jpg

I don't use Convert or Transfer Media so i dont know why they activate.

If you don't use them then they won't do any work.

There is no reason to change the default scheduled of these particular scheduled tasks. Using the default schedules, the server will be able to hibernate just fine.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Using the default schedules, the server will be able to hibernate just fine.

But not the nas, i just leave it on all time now.

Anyway im happy with how its set-up.

Thanks for the hints & tips 😉

• Thanks 1

You're lucky.  I can't get close to getting my Synology to hibernate. I wouldn't do it anyway, but there is always stuff going on 24x7 on mine even when no one is touching or using it. From log analysis, to backups to universal search indexing, to drive checking, and other built in things.  That's besides Active Insight and other monitoring tools probing which I'd have to stop using.

There is probably a point when you have X amount of media stored that the system is nearly always busy doing something in the background.