Moving Server?

skank

Hi

I was wondering if it would be advised to move my emby server...

Situation as it is now:

I have the emby server installed on my unraid server machine.

I have another hardware device: shield which has the kodi addon, inside kodi i have another addon for emby (the client)

Should i move my server to my shield also? Or perhaps even get rid of kodi in between?

So both server and client are on the shield? (although movies stay on my unraid machine)

What is advised here?

I have lots of movies with uncompressed video and audio (so yeah even atmos tracks, full 4K etc etc)

I dont want it to transcode when playing on my shield

Thx for the advice

rbjtech

Assuming the unraid host is a decent spec (which i think it needs to be for unraid itself), then I see no reason to move the the emby server to the Shield.  I think you will lose performance as all non streaming I/O will then need to go over the LAN as opposed to being local on the unraid as it is today.

Keep the shield as a client only.

For 4K remux's / high bandwidth media - try mounting the remote drives on the shield (and using the direct file path - see link below), then you will totally bypass the emby server on the unraid host anyway when playing media on the shield.  

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058112-shield-tv-direct-file-access

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Assuming the unraid host is a decent spec (which i think it needs to be for unraid itself), then I see no reason to move the the emby server to the Shield.  I think you will lose performance as all non streaming I/O will then need to go over the LAN as opposed to being local on the unraid as it is today.

Keep the shield as a client only.

For 4K remux's / high bandwidth media - try mounting the remote drives on the shield (and using the direct file path - see link below), then you will totally bypass the emby server on the unraid host anyway when playing media on the shield.  

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058112-shield-tv-direct-file-access

Ok for the server side.
The other stuff you are mentioning there attracts my focus.
I'll explain to you..

I have 4K movies with losless audio and video on the unraid server.
Upstairs in my cinema room, i have a vero 4K connected to an amp + speakers
All my movies play fine, including those 4K movies with atmos sound
The vero 4K is running kodi with emby at the back

However downstairs i have the shield running kodi with emby at the back, and when i play atmos movies from the server, it stutters cause of the atmos track, when i switch track it plays fine
All my settings within kodi/shield are fine though (passthrough).
I was thinking if i should move from kodi to the emby app on the shield, if that would fix the problem, but i have to pay for it (i need premier?) and im not sure that will solve my problem

How do i know for sure its not transcoding?
How can i know i am usinf direct path now? (on the shield using kodi and the emby addon)

edit: i followed your link and that option is indeed available in my settings, but only in the android emby app

Edited by skank

GrimReaper
28 minutes ago, skank said:

I was thinking if i should move from kodi to the emby app on the shield, if that would fix the problem, but i have to pay for it (i need premier?) and im not sure that will solve my problem

AndroidTV app has a two week trial. And you can unlock it for full playback (one-off payment, 4.99 or something like that), Premiere ain't required if you're interested in that feature alone. 

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix

rbjtech
51 minutes ago, skank said:

How do i know for sure its not transcoding?
How can i know i am usinf direct path now? (on the shield using kodi and the emby addon)

The direct file path is only an option for the Shield and Windows clients.

With the Emby client, the Shield can direct play 100Mbit+ 4K remux's with HD Audio no issues at all - that's how I have mine setup and had had zero issues since emby enables this feature in 2020 (ish).

There is no need for the Kodi client at all - the Emby client plays everything - incl DV - with native Screen Refresh rate switching etc.

If you press and hold the middle button on the Shield TV remote, you'll get up a feature called stats for nerds (also available via the menu's) - on it you'll see streaming method - you want it to say 'File'.  if it says 'HTTP' then it is streaming via Emby server - which is sub optimal.  A long press on the button removes it again.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
skank

You guys use it with other different clients? (like android smartphone on 4G, or tablets or ps4 ? )

I would like to have multiple clients now, so i can watch anything, from anywhere...